X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • godwulf
    • Aug 2007

Worst Fan Fest Experiences

It's that time of year!

I'll start off with a classic. Post #54.

Jeff
    godwulf1@cox.net
  • NEFAN
    • Jul 2008

Re: Worst Fan Fest Experiences

Football HOF induction Ceremony, autograph session, Joe Montana talked on a cellphone for over 30 minutes while fans came up to get his signature. Not only did he not talk to them, he would not even look at them!

Comment

• EurekaDave
      • Sep 2005

Had to be the 2007 All-Star Game Fanfest in San Francisco. I took my grandson to meet J.T. Snow, Giants veteran First-baseman. The time comes and they hustle him passed his fans, kids and grown-ups. They said he was "with his family." Why not make a great giving example to his kids?

If you could have seen my grand-son's look, it would have ripped out your heart, as if to say, "Grandpa, I thought you could take me places."

I can deal with rejection-- but a kid? Disgraceful.

Comment

• Tay1038
        • Dec 2005

Thought I’d share an interesting memory I had with Bert Blyleven this year.

This past summer I attended the annual Minnesota Twins Autograph Party on location at Target Field. A few months prior I purchased a Bert Blyleven game-used glove that was photomatched and used in the early 70’s from a long time Twins collector. Keep in mind I’m in my early 20’s.. Anyway, I paid my fare, waited in line for nearly 2 hours in the cold pouring rain to have Bert autograph the glove for my personal collection. When I finally reached Bert I handed him the glove. I was very excited to ask him if he recognized the glove. As soon as I said that he examined the glove, looked up, glared, and very rudely said “I’m not signing this shit for you.” I asked is something wrong? He again with one of the dirtiest looks you’ll ever get, “This was stolen from my locker. Where in the hell did you get this?” I politely answered; I purchased it from a long time collector. At this point there was fire in his eyes and he literally threw the glove back at me. Again, he roars out, “I’m not signing this shit”. From there I kinda’ stalled for a second thinking on how to respond to his reaction. In between that time, Bert still is giving me the eye down of death, Ron Coomer is starting to chirp in saying “yea, we would never give stuff away without signing it”, along with everyone in line tuning in as Bert makes this scene. After I finally muscled out a response knowing I now I just wasted $40 for the autograph ticket and 2 hours of my time I politely said “I’m very sorry to hear about the glove. I just want you to know that it’s in a good home now”. After all that Bert still continued to eye me down the whole time while I walked away in shock that that just happened. What I really wanted to say to him was, “Hey man, I’m in my 20’s. There is no way I could have taken this from you. Instead of being such a dick head you could have politely declined to sign the glove instead of making a scene. Maybe you should take a lesson from Harmon Killebrew on how to treat fans”.

Why do athletes treat fan’s like this? Beats me. Ego? Probably. It sure does make me think differently about the guy now. I’ve always respected every athlete. What an ass clown. You wouldn’t ever catch Harmon Killebrew treating a fan like this. I can only assume it’s going to get worse now that he’s in the HOF. But good for him that he got in. Sadly enough I still remain a fan of his.
        Email: Tay1038@aol.com
        - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• godwulf
          • Aug 2007

That Blyleven story puts me in mind of a Kirk Gibson g-u helmet story that another member told awhile back. Not a Fan Fest experience, but memorable.
          Jeff
          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• nycpropain
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tay1038
            Thought I’d share an interesting memory I had with Bert Blyleven this year.

This past summer I attended the annual Minnesota Twins Autograph Party on location at Target Field. A few months prior I purchased a Bert Blyleven game-used glove that was photomatched and used in the early 70’s from a long time Twins collector. Keep in mind I’m in my early 20’s.. Anyway, I paid my fare, waited in line for nearly 2 hours in the cold pouring rain to have Bert autograph the glove for my personal collection. When I finally reached Bert I handed him the glove. I was very excited to ask him if he recognized the glove. As soon as I said that he examined the glove, looked up, glared, and very rudely said “I’m not signing this shit for you.” I asked is something wrong? He again with one of the dirtiest looks you’ll ever get, “This was stolen from my locker. Where in the hell did you get this?” I politely answered; I purchased it from a long time collector. At this point there was fire in his eyes and he literally threw the glove back at me. Again, he roars out, “I’m not signing this shit”. From there I kinda’ stalled for a second thinking on how to respond to his reaction. In between that time, Bert still is giving me the eye down of death, Ron Coomer is starting to chirp in saying “yea, we would never give stuff away without signing it”, along with everyone in line tuning in as Bert makes this scene. After I finally muscled out a response knowing I now I just wasted $40 for the autograph ticket and 2 hours of my time I politely said “I’m very sorry to hear about the glove. I just want you to know that it’s in a good home now”. After all that Bert still continued to eye me down the whole time while I walked away in shock that that just happened. What I really wanted to say to him was, “Hey man, I’m in my 20’s. There is no way I could have taken this from you. Instead of being such a dick head you could have politely declined to sign the glove instead of making a scene. Maybe you should take a lesson from Harmon Killebrew on how to treat fans”.

Why do athletes treat fan’s like this? Beats me. Ego? Probably. It sure does make me think differently about the guy now. I’ve always respected every athlete. What an ass clown. You wouldn’t ever catch Harmon Killebrew treating a fan like this. I can only assume it’s going to get worse now that he’s in the HOF. But good for him that he got in. Sadly enough I still remain a fan of his.
            If someone stole the Jesey from you and came back in 10 years and asked to sign it you would be ok with it? Not saying thats the case but you have to think of it from his point of view.

Comment

• mbenga28
              • Nov 2008

if I was you I would have thrown the glove in his face and left.

Comment

• Tay1038
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by nycpropain
                If someone stole the Jesey from you and came back in 10 years and asked to sign it you would be ok with it? Not saying thats the case but you have to think of it from his point of view.

I'd have a little more class with my response back to a fan that's for sure. Especially one that doesn't fit the age demographic of that era. Don't worry; I think rational. I'll assume I caught him on a bad day. Which is the reason I still like the guy for what he did in the Twins uniform. However my respect level for him dropped a bit. And to clear the air, it's been nearly 40 years, not 10.
                - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• EurekaDave
                  • Sep 2005

Re: Worst Fan Fest Experiences/Blyleven Glove

Look at it this way -- he just authenticated it for you.
                  Dave Silverbrand

Comment

• xpress34
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EurekaDave
                    Dave Silverbrand
                    +1

Great Call Dave!

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by EurekaDave
                      Dave Silverbrand
                      'zactly. Too bad no one had a camera phone rolling. That video would double the value. If he used it for weeks, months, or even years...how would an autograph enhance the value?

Comment

• Tay1038
                        • Dec 2005

LOL, I should have whipped out my Iphone and asked him to do it all over again. Can you only imagine. Tossing the glove back in his face would have been nice; but one expensive statement. Maybe I'll buy the win a lunch with Bert Blyleven this year at Twinsfest and and bring my glove and see where it leads.

Comment

• 34swtns
                          • Apr 2006

Do it! I'm sure you're more even tempered than I am, but I would start the conversation like this:

"Remember me, nutsack?"

Comment

• Sincityson
                            • Oct 2006

Cecil Fielder signing, he was having a conversation with some friends, paying virtually no attention to the signing. Not talking, etc.. Guess that's normal for him.
                            Following Game Used/Worn auctions and team sales: www.twitter.com/gameused

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2009

One of the first Soxfests, early 1990s Dave Stieb (just picked up by the Sox at the time), Bill Melton and Alex Fernandez are signing at a autograph table for a 1-hour session. I wanted Stieb on a Blue Jays GU cap I had. The line works its way through, and I'm 10 peiople away from the front when the line is cut off. Problem was, the line was cut off 10 minutes early because several sportss reporters wanted to interview Stieb. Lots of people (including me) were pretty PO'd, and, to his credit, Melton left the stage and signed for fans in line.

I left immediately, walked across the river to what was then the Cubs gift shop at Tribune Tower, and my luck went 180 degrees for the better. The shop owner told me they got some new game used jerseys in, and offered to let me have an early peek. I walked out with a 1990 home Doug Dascenso, fully intact and with the All-Star patch still present.

The other amazing thing over the last 20 years is the total PR turnaround both Chicago teams have had. Sox Fest is now infinitely better organized and run, while the Cubs Convention is usually a zoo. Just like the ballparks...going to a White Sox game is pleasureful and enjoyable, while Cubs management seems to be offended if a ticketholder wants to have any experience other than watching the game itself.

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...