PDA

View Full Version : Dating A Crescent Pad Mitt

b.heagy
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Here is a great crescent pad mitt that I picked up a few weeks ago. Looking for some help narrowing down the time frame on this piece. I was guessing late 19th century or early 1900s. No webbing in between the finger and thumb (no remnants that there was a web). Has wear but I love it ! Does it have more value because it is for a lefty thrower ? Thoughts are appreciated.

scottanservitz
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Bill,
I found a picture of a crescent-heel glove in the book Smithsonian Baseball by Stephen Wong on page 40 that is very close to your glove. It is dated from the 1890's. If you can't find a copy of the book, (which is a great read) let me know and I will email a picture of the glove for you. Hope this helps.
Scott

b.heagy
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I have a copy of the book on it's way. I cant wait to get a look at it. Here is another pic, I just love this early stuff.

vintagesportscollector
08-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Great 1890's glove Bill!!

Here is a clip from the 1895 Spalding Baseball Guide.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3711/00198r1895yb7.jpg

Not sure about it having more value for lefty, but possibly - regardless a great example.

-Joe

mjkm90
08-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Being a lefty doesn't help value and can in some cases hurt value if it is an endorsed model and the player was right handed. On rare gloves like yours however, it isn't as important. Some collectors prefer right hand gloves, but any would want to add a great glove like this.

b.heagy
08-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all the info. Joe, That is a great reference photo. I bought this mitt along with a catchers mitt, but it does not look as old. It was a weird combo deal. All your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.:)

Rob L
08-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Bill,

Awesome find. The lefty thing is even better since I'm left handed. Any 19th century memorabilia is valuable. I would suggest that you moisten the leather with a conditioner or petroleum jelly, particularly inside the glove where the wear is greatest.

Congrats on a great pick up.

Rob L