Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2000mvpfan
    • Nov 2005

OT-Your favorite NON game-used items...

...just going through some stuff today gave me this idea.I'd bet probably 90-95% of us started with cards,autographs,and then got into game-used.For me,that was in the early '80's-the heyday of card shows in the NY Tri-State area.Since then,I've picked up some pretty good stuff,but these would definitely have to be favorites.

1.HOF'ers for under $20 dollars:$200?$300?Then another $10 to $50 for an inscription?Not back in the early '80's...try $8 for Joe D. and Stan the Man (that's $5 for the auto and $3 for the photo) and an even $10 for Ted ($7/$3)-inscription?Whatever you want,free of charge.In fact,I think the only 2 guys I never,ever got an inscription from were Mantle and Mays.Ah,the good 'ol days...

2.The 1980 World Champions:It took almost a decade,but I just finished this thing in December,now it's off to the framers.The hard part?Not finding signed cards of McGraw and Espinosa to mount with the poster (McGraw passed away before I got the blank poster,and Espinosa's been dead since the mid-'80's),but waiting for the IMPOSSIBLE Randy Lerch to finally do a show in the NY/NJ area...

3.You knew this was coming:Since I can't make a post that doesn't involve Jason Giambi somehow,I'll throw this one out there-an oversize,signed canvas I picked up some years ago!!

Your turn,guys...
    Discuss..
    Joe
    sigpic
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!
  • jobathenut
    • Nov 2008

Re: OT-Your favorite NON game-used items...

Well in honor of the steelers making it to the super bowl for the 3rd time in the big ben era.I am going to post my favorite items in my steelers room.And dont worry "2000mvpfan" i will also post a giambi item.As we would'nt be giambi fans if we didnt do it.
    Attached Files

Comment

• jobathenut
      • Nov 2008

And here is my giambi item-it's not much but i like it
      Attached Files

Comment

• Klattsy
        • Aug 2010

Those are some mighty fine autos Joe. And Joba I love the framing jobs...

This thread is going to be great to watch!

Mark.

Comment

• xpress34
          • Sep 2008

In NO specific order...

My AU Nolan Ryan glove:

My AU Mark McGwire 1998 ASG Jersey:

My AU (and inscribed) Nolan Ryan 1993 Rangers Jersey:

My AU Nolan Ryan Bronze Hand casting:

My AU ticket stub from my seat the night I got Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB Homer:

My AU ticket stub from Jason Giambi's DEBUT with the Colorado Rockies:

I had to get my Giambi in there as well!!! (Joe and Butch - please PM with your snail mail addresses... I have something for each of you.)

- Smitty

Comment

• Bravesfan
            Banned
            • Aug 2010

I am very partial to this George Foreman autograph and picture.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Jstef15
              • Dec 2010

I have a full size Tebow helmet signed.

8x10s:
              Channing Crowder, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Siler, Reggie Nelson, Fred Taylor, Cornelius Ingram, Earl Everett, Urban Meyer, Alex Brown, Mike Peterson, and Mike Miller.

16x20s: Percy Harvin, Jevon Kearse, Jack Youngblood, and Reggie Nelson.

Balls:
              Joakim Noah, Joe Haden, and Chris Leak.

I tried attaching photos but it wasn't working.

Comment

• Jstef15
                • Dec 2010

Sorry...
                Attached Files

Comment

• dcgreg25
                  • Jan 2008

Mine would have to be my original poster advertising the infamous ten-cent beer night at Cleveland Stadium against the Rangers back in the 70's.

Comment

• frikativ54
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dcgreg25
                    Mine would have to be my original poster advertising the infamous ten-cent beer night at Cleveland Stadium against the Rangers back in the 70's.

Great item. I like it a ton.
                    Les Zukor
                    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• Shipp_96
                      • Feb 2011

I dug up this old thread (even have a Giambi in there) and have to say it got me thinking. No doubt, my favorite non game used items (even more so than my many signed NFL and NCAA helmets) were my Oakland A's stadium give away bobble-heads! When I think of the hours I spent waiting for these, I'm sure (my then girlfriend, now wife) wishes she could kill me. But, my best memories are of her and I inline, having hours to talk about whatever and really getting to know each other.

Sadly, these were not even all of them pictured. I also had Dave Stewart, Carney Lansford, Reggie Jackson, Mark Kotsay, Chavez six time gold glove winner, Rich Harden, Dennis Eckersley, Mark Ellis, Vida Blue, Jason Kendall and Bobby Crosby. The shame is most of them I got signed either at the stadium or at various appearances around the Bay.

But, when we relocated from Cali back to my home on the east coast, I was so petrified they would be broken upon shipping and then worthless to anyone, I sold them all to a local sports dealer. One of my few sells that I regret to this day. That is our dog, Zena in the picture. After 14 years, she is still thankfully around!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Jstef15
                        • Dec 2010

Cool collection Shipp.. I've been in to bobble heads lately but I can't believe how expensive they are! Some go for over $100 on ebay.. its ridiculous... I love having unique stuff so that that is why I am interested in stuff like this.. All of my collection is Florida Gators or former Gators stuff... I would like the Mark Ellis one w/ him being a Gator.. I hope for your sake, that you kept that one! Start collecting them again...

Comment

• Metsfan808
                          • Sep 2007

1986 Mets autographed jersey:

__________________________________________________ _______________
                          Always looking for any Edgardo Alfonzo game used stuff!
                          cfiguer5@yahoo.com

Comment

• Shipp_96
                            • Feb 2011

Thanks Jstef15,

I just sent you an email to the address on your sig, with some photos of me and Mark together. He was one of my wife and I's all time favorite A's. Friendly and accessible every time you met him, plus a great fielder!

Comment

• Jstef15
                              • Dec 2010

Thanks Shipp... Responded...

Metsfan, how much do you pay in framing alone! I would love to frame my 16x20s and 8x10s like that but I usually go the cheap route even though I don't really display them yet.. All of the frames and matting like great.

Comment

Working...