PDA

View Full Version : Bat not properly discribed in auction

SSB15
08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
I wanted to run this situation by everyone. I purchased a game used bat from an auction house that failed to list that the bat did not match factory records. The auction house had full knowldge that the bat did not match the factory records. However, it is a game used bat based upon COAs of two reputable graders.

My position is that the auction house should have stated that the bat did not match the factory records and listed the grade the bat received from the independant grading services.

The acution house said it was my fault that I did not ask to review a copy of the COAs before the auction and relied upon their description in the catalog.

What does everyone think?

Airtron1
08-17-2006, 10:23 AM
While I htink the auction has was morally wrong for not stating those facts it sounds as if all they said was that two authenticators said it was good. You probolly should have looked into it a little further but I understand your situation. The whole game used thing I use that lightly unless I am given the bat directly from the player thats the only way to know 100 percent if they actually used it or not and just didnt let the utility infielder use it in bp. what auction house is it so I can stay away from them

sportscentury
08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi, Scott:

It would be best if that kind of information were stated up front in the description. However, this kind of information is often not in the descriptions (if it were, the items would sell for less, and auction houses don't want that to happen, of course). If this information was in the LOA and the LOA was available for prebidding review, then it will be hard to argue that the auction house withheld material information as to the item's authenticity and value. I'm sorry that this happened to you. You are certainly not alone in thinking that this information should be stated up front in the lot description.

Reid

CollectGU
08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Thta all depends - What was the bat and what did the write up on the bat state?

SSB15
08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
The auction house stated it was one of the best game used bats of player XX that they have ever seen. I think the bat is real based upon the COAs of people I trust. I just think that the description should have stated it does not meet factory records. Based upon their comment that it was one of the best bats ever, I never though it would be necessary to have to COA sent to me. From now on, when I am bidding in any auction I will make sure I have had a chance to review the COA.

Scott

scottanservitz
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Scott,
First off, I agree with you on the point that auction houses "should" be more upfront about the items they are auctioning off. Kind of like they are representing these bats for what they seem to be, but not what they really are. I like the fact that some auction houses such as Vintage post the letters to be read by bidders before they actually decide to bid. They even write up the details as "team indexed or ordered bat". To knowledgable collectors this means something, to the unsuspecting bidder it obviously means little. Luckily this forum gives the potential buyer the ability to check on most player orders beforehand. Even knowing the players' orders is only a first step in determining the authenticity if the player ever used the particular bat. Players sometimes share their bats. Buyers have to look at traits such as pine tar, numbers on knobs, taping and even hitting patterns to better help. It is always buyer beware. Many of us have been duped. It is what we learned from it that is important. Remember, there are honest dealers in this industry as well as cons. Your post has probably already helped future bidders on what to look for and do before bidding in an auction or buying from a seller. Again, I wholeheartedly agree with you on your point. Take it and become a better educated buyer from here on out, as you already have. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck.
Scott