PDA

View Full Version : Rays sign Manny & Damon......

camarokids
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Say it Ain't So Joe!!!

I can see signing Johnny Damon but Manny Ramirez???

Seriously? Really ?

According to an MLB source it is a done deal pending physical's.....Manny signed for only $2Million. I bet the Dodgers feel ripped off (raped) after paying $45 Million for two years.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110124&content_id=16491672&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I do not think the Rays are going to have a very good year. They got rid of Matt Garza, Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, Rafael Soriano, Grant Balfour and Chad Qualls.

Bravesfan
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I wish Manny would just go away.

legaleagle92481
02-01-2011, 01:44 AM
This is called damage control. The Angels did the same thing with Vernon Wells. Strike out in off season and bring in big name player and the fans will be happy. A few years ago this would be a great move but Manny has no power anymore and can't stay healthy and Damon has lost several steps and much of what made him a very good player i.e. his speed. Plus neither has any fielding ability at this point. Combined they do not replace Crawford's all around game and Pena's homers. The good thing for the Rays is they work cheap and they are not signed for the long term and they will help sell tickets and merchandise.

LastingsMilledge85
02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
This is called damage control. The Angels did the same thing with Vernon Wells. Strike out in off season and bring in big name player and the fans will be happy. A few years ago this would be a great move but Manny has no power anymore and can't stay healthy and Damon has lost several steps and much of what made him a very good player i.e. his speed. Plus neither has any fielding ability at this point. Combined they do not replace Crawford's all around game and Pena's homers. The good thing for the Rays is they work cheap and they are not signed for the long term and they will help sell tickets and merchandise.

The Angels getting Vernon Wells was nothing more than an act of desperation that will cost them dearly, now that Toronto flipped Napoli to Texas. The trade for Wells can be one of the staple moves Reagins has made, and in other cases, did not make that can lead up to his dismissal.