PDA

View Full Version : 1998 MJ Gamer with COA written to controversial NJ dealer

mmonte4
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I was just reviewing the 1998 MJ jersey in Paragon Auctions and couldn't help but recall the name on the Bulls LOA - Eric Inselberg.

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=61&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=16

Inselberg is the NJ dealer that was involved in the controversy at Maestro Auctions over the MJ UNC Shooting shirt that sold for $11k.

Here is a bit of the history:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10331

This was an item I was looking to bid on, but now I'm very skeptical with Inselberg's name attached to it. I've just heard so many stories of LOA's separated from original items, and attached to similar ones. Very scary. Thoughts?

mmonte4
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Since I started this thread several hours ago, Paragon Auctions has removed the image of the Bulls LOA. To me, this looks especially disturbing. Its like they are attempting to cover up a potential controversy.

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=61&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=16

As a side note, I would stay far away from their Jordan Bullets Uniform. I have examined the jersey closely. This is an easy one because Jordan only wore this style for only three games in 2003: April 9, 12, and 14. Take a look at any still image or video of Jordan from any of these 3 games and you will see the bottom of the "Bullets" logo on the chest runs right along the red stripe. The jersey featured in the Paragon auction has a bit of space between the red stripe and bottom of "Bullets."

And one more thing, Paragon is advertising the Dream Team Jersey set as "game used" with a $5,000 minimum bid. These were ABSOLUTELY NOT game worn in the Olympic games. I have every game on tape. The NOB is a dead giveaway these aren't gamers. The true game used jerseys have the more arched NOB.

Paragon obviously reads this forum, so I am very interested and look forward to their response.

jordanhigh69
01-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Hmmmm, very interesting. Who owns Paragon Auctions and where are they located?

trsent
01-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Hmmmm, very interesting. Who owns Paragon Auctions and where are they located?

Right from their web site:

Paragon Auctions, LLC
PO Box 1112
Woodbridge, NJ 07095

Tel: 732.218.7785

Email: Info@ParagonAuctions.com (Info@ParagonAuctions.com)

Please feel free to contact us with any inquiries using the afforementioned contact information. You may also use our quick form to the right to email a customer service representative.

ironmanfan
01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
The owner is Keith Vari who at one time worked for both Lelands & Grey Flannel (perhaps others)...

nickacs
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Wow, thanks for the info! I was going to bid on that jersey too... I compared it to the '97-98 home white that was sold here via GUU auctions a couple years ago and the size/tagging looked correct and NOB/lettering...Hmmm..
But that is odd that the Bulls LOA has now been taken down off their website :confused:

Yea, those DT ones aren't game used during their run to the gold, but the description says they weren't used in the "regular" games, maybe the Tournament of Americas qualifying games held in Portland?

Here's an excerpt of the auction lot description:
"The arching and size of the letters on the back of the jerseys is not consistent with footage of the playoff groupings games held in Spain. Each jersey has a certificate of authenticity from the Team NBA Authentics program with hologram affixed to the certificate and to each corresponding jersey (please see inset photo of one of these LOAs)."

mmonte4
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Yea, those DT ones aren't game used during their run to the gold, but the description says they weren't used in the "regular" games, maybe the Tournament of Americas qualifying games held in Portland?

Ok, if they are game worn and not used in Barcelona, this must narrow it down to the Tournament of Americas. They played 6 games in Portland

game 1 - vs Cuba (white jersey)
game 2 - vs Canada (white)
game 3 - vs Panama (white)
game 4 - vs Argentina (?)
game 5 - vs Puerto Rico (navy)
game 6 - vs Venezuela (white)

Looks like all of these are arched as well. What other games could these jerseys have been used in?

mmonte4
01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
More about the 1992 USA jersey set....

The NBA COA states :This certificate verifies this USA basketball jersey was manufactured by Champion exclusively for use during the 1992 Summer Olympic Games

To me, this COA means absolutely nothing. Sure the jersey could have been intended for the 1992 Summer Olympic games, but we know for a fact that it was NOT used.

Where is this letter from the equipment manager? I'd sure like to see what the letter states. Why would something so vital to the auction lot, not be posted?

nickacs
01-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Ok, if they are game worn and not used in Barcelona, this must narrow it down to the Tournament of Americas. They played 6 games in Portland

game 1 - vs Cuba (white jersey)
game 2 - vs Canada (white)
game 3 - vs Panama (white)
game 4 - vs Argentina (?)
game 5 - vs Puerto Rico (navy)
game 6 - vs Venezuela (white)

Looks like all of these are arched as well. What other games could these jerseys have been used in?

I'm with ya.. I have no clue.. I haven't looked at my tapes either of the T of A games, but if you say they are all arched too, then yea, I have no clue about these. Likewise, just saying they were "made" for the Olympics means jack squat. Although also in their auction description it says the Jordan and Robinson are very soiled with sweat stains.. LOL

Dunno man, I'd love to complete the collection, but I don't see it happening with these.. Maybe nice looking authentics, but I'd pay no more than even a generous $1k for this set. Truely game used, well that's another story :)

mmonte4
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
With multiple postponements and questionable items, this is NOT a good start for Paragon Auctions. I'm VERY disappointed.

mmonte4
01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Well kudos to them for reposting the LOA. I'm surprised that the name on the LOA wasn't blacked out earlier due to the questionable ethics of the man in question.

I would like to see them come up with one, just ONE photo match for the "game worn" DT collection.

I would also like to hear their response to the Wizards uniform.

Paragon, we're waiting to hear from you!