PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lewis Game Used 2000!

DragonWranglerX
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120670111344&nma=true&rt=nc&si=zSKDbP1phR1Cr5JjS8NSD82XftM%253D

I had to share this with everyone. If its a fake its a dang good one. I can't believe someone didn't take a shot on it......

TriplexXxSports
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Awfully clean for a white jersey supposedly worn by a stud linebacker.....

DragonWranglerX
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
very true but rarely do we see unwashed game used, so going under the assumption that it was washed..........

What is bothering me is I can't discredit the jersey. Ray wore a black collar for the first half of the season, so that's easy. But starting with the Bengals on Nov 6th 2000 and the titans on nov 13 2000 the collar is gone and the NFL logo is half a$$ attached exactly like in the ebay pic. They did a much better job for the cardinals game in dec and the rest of the playoffs using a piece of spandex to attach the NFL logo. But funny enough went back to the lame piece of left over jersey to attach in 2001.

The cover of the sporting news for Nov 20th 2000 has a pic of ray without a collar and without the NFL logo and having inquired with the archives of the sporting news is from the Bengals game from nov 6th 2000.......

I am more that open to leads or suggestions at this point. Come on conspiracy theorists give me something good!

perlman9
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
if you look at his completed items, someone bought it for just under $900 probably didn't help he had no feedback when he listed it... he also sold a Ravens band uniform as well

cigarman44
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
if you look at his completed items, someone bought it for just under $900 probably didn't help he had no feedback when he listed it... he also sold a Ravens band uniform as well

The original poster bought it.

DragonWranglerX
01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
You are correct and now the thing is keeping me up an night because I can't prove its not game used.

David
01-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Hard to prove a negative

David
01-27-2011, 01:02 AM
I remember a guy with a baseball card who was paranoid that it was fake. After all his theories were shot down, I said "I'm afraid you're going to have to live with the the fact that your card is authentic."

solarlottry
01-27-2011, 03:04 AM
The neck looks exactly like the neck I have on a 1997 game used Chuck Levy 49ers shirt. I would think that with a neck like that that it would be game used. What I don't understand is why the seller would state in the listing that he wanted to list it with a "buy it now" of 8500$ and then only start the auction at 0.99$. Makes no sense to me as he obviously knows the value of a RL gamer. Why wouldn't he just set the minimum bid at what he wanted to get for the shirt.

This kind of stuff happens on eBay now and then. I recently missed a SB year Merton Hanks shirt with team letter on eBay because it was only listed on ebayUK. How I missed it I have no idea as I always check but I did and it sold for 200$!!! That shirt is worth at least 750 to 1250$. What I don't understand was that the seller had tompay more because the exact shirt sold on GUU in 2008 for 600$!

Weird stuff happens on eBay. I once bought a 1990 game used Roger Craig away shirt with at least 10 repairs on eBay for 375$! The seller thought the repairs looked like cigarette burns that had been sewn over. Needless to say I was and still am thrilled about such a nice score. It is sometimes a hassle to look thru eBay every day, over and over, but just one score makes it all worth it.

Always buying 49ers game used especially with team letters

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

DragonWranglerX
01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I hope your right Dave and I just have to deal with the fact that its real. I have always investigated items from the perspective of trying to prove something is real. I thought it would be an interesting experience to try for the other side. But now i am stuck since there is little to no pictures of ray from that bengals or titans game from 2000. I even went thru highlight videos and nada of ray. But you are truly correct that at some point if you can't prove something is fake then.........

MLB_Authentic
01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe so, but as a buyer, you would have to prove to me thats its REAL, not show me that you can't prove its fake.

I hope your right Dave and I just have to deal with the fact that its real. I have always investigated items from the perspective of trying to prove something is real. I thought it would be an interesting experience to try for the other side. But now i am stuck since there is little to no pictures of ray from that bengals or titans game from 2000. I even went thru highlight videos and nada of ray. But you are truly correct that at some point if you can't prove something is fake then.........

Dewey2007
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Check out this website:

http://www.ihaveplanet.com/Trading/TradingBoard.aspx?Board=29

A bunch of guys have video of the Ravens vs Bengals and Titans games from 2000. Maybe you can buy copies or work out some sort of trade for them. Good luck!

Mulligans
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I have been holding back on this one for a while to see what others felt.

If I'm looking at this as a buyer, without even giving it much thought I'm just guessing that this is some sort of Game Cut/Game Issue Jersey that someone picked up at Nike (or Reebok now). Anyone in middle management can grab these relatively easy from Corporate HQ without much trouble. Last year, they sold a bunch of Game Cut Jerseys on NFL auctions that are all over eBay.

I'm with Matt.....Looks awfully clean to me? Doesn't anyone wonder why there is no mention of wear on the Jersey? Ray Lewis is a FREAKIN Monster and this Jersey should be absolutely pounded even if it was worn in one game and washed 5 times. Read the listing.....Does this sound like a guy who is getting ready to sell a GAME USED Jersey of an Elite NFL player?

Unfortunately, I would have personally passed on this one. The Seller wants $8500, but does absolutely nothing to prove that he is in the possession of a true gamer of Ray Lewis. His listing sounds to me like he is getting ready to pull a fast one on someone? He doesn't even use the words Game Used in the Listing?

ravens game jersey from 2000 . this is a nike jersey with the 00-50 in the neck. it is made in berlin wi. if you need more pics i can have my roomy send them to you just leave your email . i will be away till sat i will answer all questions just be patient as i am away. i am starting this at a dollar no reserve things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. i only accept paypal that way you are protected. thanks for looking and good luck. this is my only jersey if you are looking for some other players. i tried to put a buy it now for 8500 but since i dont have feedback it wouldnt let me.

Just one mans opinion and I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it. If its too good to be true....It usually is. :)

CollectGU
01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
I would suggest putting this under a black light if it has been washed and you should see the use stains in it

dave

Titans74
01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I agree with Mulligans 100%. This is a game issued/cut AT BEST.

DragonWranglerX
01-30-2011, 01:46 AM
So just to add some more context, and thank you for everyone who has added to the post, there are grass stains around the numbers on the shoulders and slight puckering (very little) around the numbers on the chest. The numbers on the chest are a little cleaner then they should be for a lewis; however the thread in the numbers are lighter in some sports and darker in others which leads me to believe it was washed after the numbers were sewn on (could be something or nothing). As for the light wear on the jersey as much of a beast as Ray is.....in the Bengals game he only had 5 tackles and 6 in the Titans. I would be very interested if ANYONE has video or pictures from the Bengals and Titans game in NOV of 2000. Also Ill be sure to post better pictures for you guys soon.

You are right that in the end it has to be proven that it is real; however by eliminating what it can't be, will often lead you to what it is. The man has played for over 15 years and by elimination possibilities are narrowed down to two possible games.

I definitely agree that game issued/cut is a possibility but it looks an awful lot like that jersey on the cover of the sporting news (also pretty clean). I ordered a blown up copy of that cover and will be sure to post my findings. Thanks again to all who posted you guys know your stuff and are definitely the jury on this one...

DragonWranglerX
01-30-2011, 01:49 AM
And thanks for the back light suggestion, I am definitely going to try that!

Mattapan03
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
If it was used in a game, then it more than likely was a backup jersey. Its possible that Ray had something happen to his primary game jersey and had to swap it out for a quarter, half, etc.

DragonWranglerX
01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Could be, but this was the first game he wanted the black collar that covers all but a few ravens 2000 jerseys taken off. My theory is that by league rules they had to have the NFL logo on the jersey, so in order to remove the black collar they had to re attach logo. The sporting news cover I mentioned has the NFL logo actually caught up in his shoulder pads. All they did was sew it on top of the jersey with a extra piece of jersey behind it. In away games that follow they used a piece of spandex sides and it stayed in place much better. This is what they used all the way threw the superbowl They actually stuck with this method for the home jerseys after this game and never made the spandex switch to his home jersey.

It is sill a very interesting theory and one that I will have to look into. The pants he is wearing on the sporting news cover are very dirty compared to his very white jersey.

Krsoneus
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey I was just wondering what ever happened to that Ray Lewis jersey... I know the buyer said they were trying to get game tapes and photomatch did any of that work out? The same seller has another Ravens jersey up for auction ending within the next 4 hours, this time Ed Reed, again another custom collar job on it which matches the style on getty for 10/4/2004...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ed-reed-game-used-jersey-2004-no-reserve-ravens-hof-/120703421918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a7c0dde

cliffjmp33
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I just did a quick photo search on AP and Getty and all the purple jerseys he wore prior to Thanksgiving had the black collar.

cliffjmp33
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I just did a quick photo search on AP and Getty and all the purple jerseys he wore prior to Thanksgiving had the black collar.

I just read his description as they were removed. Not sure why that would be, seems a little off to me. I think the explanation about the Lewis jersey is same for this one.