PDA

View Full Version : Sidewritten Bats no labeling

soxnation92
01-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I was curious to get a quick history lesson on some side written bats I have coming in the mail that I purchased that do not appear to have any labeling. I will know more when I get the bats. They are 33.5-34.5 long lathe marks and appear to be turn of the century. Anyone have any feed back on manufacturer protocol on these types of bats? I am not sure if they were made prior to being labeled as "test" bats . I have never seen them before. I have 4 of them coming I can post pics later.

Thanks for any feed back..

MSpecht
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
It has been reported that it was common practice for Hillerich & Bradsby to send unmarked / unbranded blank bats to players to ‘try out’ in order to determine their preference in bats for future orders. Players would then return the bat(s) they preferred to the factory for duplication. This would be even more likely when a ‘new model’ was manufactured from a written request, to ensure the player’s approval. This practice has been documented and verified by such people as Hillerich & Bradsby President / CEO John Hillerich IV and Rex Bradley as well as players themselves and H & B craftsmen. Physical examples of this practice have surfaced, including a Lloyd Waner vault marked W44 unbranded bat and a Lou Gehrig vault marked H76 bat, both aquired directly acquired from Hillerich & Bradsby.

The marking on bats returned to H & B, whether test bats that the company had sent to a player to try out, or a teammates' bat (H & B or or another manufacturer) that a player sent to H & B directly, is known as “side-writing” and was most commonly used by Hillerich & Bradsby employees to identify bats that were returned to the factory by a player requesting that additional bats be made to the same specifications, or to identify the date that a new model (or modification to an existing model) was ordered by a player. When the bat was delivered to the company after mailing, it was so identified by writing, in artists’ grease pencil, on the bat. Side-writing generally identified the player who sent in the bat, the team that the player played for, and the date the bat was received. Subsequent "tool room markings" may also appear on the bat as the H & B craftsmen made various adjustments and modifications to it.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

soxnation92
01-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the useful information. I will post pics when i get the bats. I am curious to see the names on them. This is great information I would think the sidewritten bats without labels are very rare?

earlywynnfan
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I have one completely blank sidewritten bat, Jack Fournier, dated 1921. Someone cleaned the bat, leaving the sidewriting untouched.

Two others I pulled have the LV logo, but blank barrels. I like how Ernie Koy carved his name in his! The other is sidewritten for Walter French, and has vault markings on both ends.

Sorry the sidewriting doesn't show, they're all very legible.

Good luck!!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

soxnation92
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Those are some nice bats! I received 4 blank side written bats today that are in beautiful condition the dates are from the mid to late 20's I am having trouble making out all of the letters on the names. Is there a way to amplify the grease pen without damaging the bat? I was thinking a black light may bring out the writing. I will post pics of the bats this week.. Really cool blanks with lathe marks and site writing.

corsairs25
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Those are some nice bats! I received 4 blank side written bats today that are in beautiful condition the dates are from the mid to late 20's I am having trouble making out all of the letters on the names. Is there a way to amplify the grease pen without damaging the bat? I was thinking a black light may bring out the writing. I will post pics of the bats this week.. Really cool blanks with lathe marks and site writing.

I haven't had much luck with a blacklight. But I have heard that some have had success using an infrared camera to illuminate the sidewriting.

soxnation92
02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah this is going to be tough

one looks like woody harris
the other I can see John and the something ....drick

the other is harry Bor.....can't make out the rest

the 4th bat is going to be tough dated 1924 all the others are from "27"

Infared is going to be the best option here.