PDA

View Full Version : listing on Ebay.

pungent
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
have any of you ever listed your items on Ebay just to see what the value and interest is out there, but don't intend on selling it (like placing a high Buy It Now or high reserve price so the limit won't be reached?). reading the flipping thread, is it also unethical to do this?

ruhoos
01-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't do it, unless you would sell the item for dollar amount that's acceptable to you.

If you're going to list an item with a BIN for thousands of dollars for something that sells for a hundred, chances are you won't get any offer and the task is pointless.

If you list an auction item and have someone "protect" it just to see the value, then yes, that's a huge no.

Reserve auctions usually scare off potential bidders as well.

If I had an item i believed was worth $300, I'd list it for $800-$900 and go fishing to see what kind of interest I received. Be prepared to sell though if the BIN gets hit.

kylehess10
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I did this to sell my Jason Heyward jersey over the summer last year.

I figured I'd get around 2k for it. I didn't really wanna sell the jersey unless I got more for it, so I put it on eBay for $5,000 or best offer to see what I could get for it, and in the same day I listed the jersey, I received an offer for $3,500, which I ofcoarse accepted, and I don't regret it one bit. I don't think I would've made that much for it if I didn't put it on eBay with the high buy-it-now price.

I only paid 450 for the jersey, so the sale got me a new 42 inch TV, a lot of new camera equipment, the ability to go out to eat more often, and I got my family the best Christmas presents I've ever been able to afford for them, so selling something at a high price with the best offer option is defintely a move to make. It helped me out so much in 2010.