PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rockies GU jersey dating question

soxfan
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I acquired this Jason Jennings GU/Signed rockies jersey through the a GUU member, and am trying to date this jersey to either 2002 or 2003 season.

I know after the 2004 season, Rawlings was replaced by majestic as the maker for their jersey's, so I can rule after 2004 out.

But I have included a pic of a 2003 HOME jersey tagging, and then my Jennings tagging, and they look a little different.

Any help would be great, as I am hoping it is from the 2002 season, as that was the year he won the ROY.

Thanks!

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

ziggy
01-30-2011, 09:44 PM
rawlings never made rockies jerseys...Russell Athletic made their jerseys from 1993-2004. Majestic began making Rockies jerseys in 2005. In 2002 the Rockies had the 10th anniversary patch on one sleeve.

soxfan
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry, you are right it is Russel...

No patch on the arm, other than the rockies logo above the Russel "R".

Would that make it 2003 then?

jeremy

xpress34
01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Jeremy -

This probably won't help (but it can't hurt) - as a Rockies fan and collector since Day 1, I can tell you that the Rockies and Russell never had any sort of syncronicity to their tagging efforts.

I have had jerseys from the same year (sleeve patches - dates of letters from Rockies, etc) and had their tail tagging not match. One might have the name like your Stynes and the Jennings and the other might just have the size and extra length tag. Or they might both have names and one would have the year, sz, etc, but the other would just have the name with seperate sz tag and such.

One other thing I can tell you - being both your jerseys are home whites and with pro tagging - if you haven't noticed, look at the buttons. They should be CREAM colored and stamped "Colorado Rockies" around them like this:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/Lumber_Jack_Bat_Co/Sports/Baseball%20Items/Memorabilia/Jerseys/rockiesbutton.jpg

These buttons were specially created for the Rockies Home White jeresys and NOT available on retail. As far as I know, The Rockies are unique and the ONLY team to ever do this to try to help deter forgeries of GU jerseys.

Unfortunately, they only did it on their Home White - not grey, not purple,not black - those all have pearlized buttons color matched. Also - and the Rockies have admitted this and issued GU jersey w/ Rockies LOAs that are this way - up until about 5 years ago, the Rockies had a history of short ordering their jerseys and if one got ruined or given to charity or whatever, they would send a clubbie up to the Dry Goods store, get a Retail Authentic done up, have the player wear it for the game and then sell it later as GU - which it is - but it is not a Club House Authentic.

Probably NOT the news you wanted, but it took the Rockies awhile to even begin to try and get it right - and that started about the same time as MLB Certification and Majestic making the jerseys. In fact, this past years Majestics are the 1st the Rockies have had with YEAR tags on them!

Hope this helps some.

Smitty

soxfan
01-31-2011, 12:00 AM
The Jennings is my jersey and the other is a pic I copied off a classified posting as an example.

My Jennings is GREY, and come with a letter from the Rockies stating it was BOUGHT in OCTOBER, 2003.

It does show awesome use, and I am trying to photomatch it...lots of late nights in doing so...

I feel that it is no doubt authentic, but I am just trying to nail it down, and I am ideally trying to get that elusive photo-match.

So again, it does not have the Anniversary patch on the shoulder, but is tagged (as the pics show) correctly.

Thanks for all the help!

jeremy

soxfan
02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks again for all the input.

In the last post, it says that The Rockies were known to short order their jersey's and even run out if one was given away or ruined.

Could that mean that, with no dating tag on my Jennings jersey, and a Rockies LOA stating it was bought in Oct 2003 (see pics), that it may have been used in 2004 and the letter date is wrong?

The jersey shows some great use, and I have been able to find a few pics from both 2003 and 2004 that have the pinstripes matched up.

Thanks for any additional info!

Jeremy

soxfan
02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Anyone out there have any info?

Jeremy