PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate Game-Worn Inscription and Represtation

LandRunSports
01-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Where is the integrity?
Hello, my name is Brian and I am a game-usedoholic.
I specialize in Oklahoma Sooners football game-worn memorabilia; or better known as, Oklahoma football historian.
I recently acquired a 2004 Jason White (2003 Heisman) game-worn Sooners jersey. This particular jersey (pictured below) was obtained from AMI and came with letters of authenticity from PSA, AMI and Lou Lampson.
Here is a brief description of the jersey from AMI, “ This incredible representation was worn by Jason White in the Red River Classic of October 9, 2004, when he led OU to another win over Texas, 12-0, in the fabled Cotton Bowl…white helmet/mask remnants from a vicious third-quarter hit by Texas defenders are readily visible on the jersey and on DVD replays from the game”. How exciting!
You mean to tell me that Jason White wore this jersey while orchestrating a Sooner team to 12-0 victory over the Longhorns, ending their 281 game scoring streaking? That’s a lot of seasons without scoring. Did I mention that he handed the ball off to Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 225 yards in that game! Wow, what a fantastic piece of OU history to throw into the archives.
Oh wait, after extensive research of video footage and photographs, White didn’t wear this jersey against Texas. OU played Bowling Green (Sept. 5), Houston (Sept. 11), Oregon (Sept. 18) and Texas Tech (Oct 2). The “Red River Rivalry”; or OU/TX was played on Oct 9.
Ok, what’s the point? See the pictures below and you’ll get my point…
What about that “white helmet/mask remnants from a vicious third-quarter hit by Texas defenders …”?!
The photos reveal that the jersey was worn against Bowling Green, Houston and Oregon, the games mentioned took place before the Texas game. The point of impact (white abrasion) occurred during the first game of the season against Bowling Green.
So how does that affect the value of this jersey if it was “game-worn”, but not against Texas? Jason White inscribed the jersey “10-09-4 Red River Classic, 12-0 over Texas, 12-26 [completions], Jason White [Signature]”. Was the mistake made by Jason White or was he led to believe he wore this jersey against Texas prior to inscribing it?
I presented my concerns to the original owner (who happens to be a senior member on this site); he consigned the jersey to AMI. His response, “Just return it, and the paperwork if you are not happy. I do not have access to the games mentioned but never doubted Jason. I will forward this to AMI and will make sure you get your money back when it is returned”. That is the honorable thing to do, but the fact remains, White did not wear this jersey against Texas. Therefore, the inscription is pointless; furthermore, this jersey shouldn’t be in circulation falsely represented as something it is not. I contacted AMI, the woman who answered and will remain nameless said, “return the jersey for a refund”. Why return it? It will be re-sold as game-worn against Texas, which highly increases the value, as mentioned before. My conversation with this woman was extensive and I will spare you the details. Let’s just say I was promised something and 3 weeks later she hasn’t followed through and will not take or return my calls.
What are your thoughts on this situation?
Thanks for taking part in my post.
Brian – Land Run Sports

trsent
01-31-2011, 02:07 AM
FYI - PSA/DNA only authenticated the autograph. They do not authenticate game used jerseys.

Also, I don't understand why you don't return the jersey and be done with it. If you are concerned they are going to re-sell it elsewhere with the same description, your post on here hopefully helps keep some weary buyers away. I don't know what else you expect them to do but offer you a full refund and be done with your concerns.

If they list it again, and your concerns are 100% correct, then come on here and post about it and hopefully the situation will disappear. Otherwise, you can only protect yourself so much and come here to tell us about your experience.

UGA-1
01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
First of all, great job doing your research. Since it is obviously a nice game jersey, ever thought about just removing the inscription? I know the item is not as described, but at least it is the real deal and not a fake. Mistakes do happen and I'm sure the seller is just as surprised as you that the jersey is not as advertised. Happened to me with a UGA David Greene helmet that was inscribed with an exact game inscription. I just removed the game description and left the autograph.
I put the blame on Jason White for adding the inscription since he obviously had no clue when he used the jeresy.

Neely8
01-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Yet another reason why I can't stand game worn jerseys to be autographed.

halzeus
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Yet another reason why I can't stand game worn jerseys to be autographed.

I agree. I have one autographed game jersey. Fortunately, it only says "Game Used" and doesn't list a specific game.

I have photomatched it, so the "Game Used" inscription is accurate.

Regarding the Sooners' jersey. It's always a good idea to try and do as much research as possible before purchasing. It's a great jersey, just with the wrong game inscribed on it. Good luck.