PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Charger Helmet (Help)

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
What year do you guys think this Charger helmet is? I've photomatched a Dan Fouts helmet that has been painted with the identical colors to 1981. Even though there's a reconditioned sticker from 1975 from Ridell there are also two other refurbished stickers along with a Dynatape #80 sticker inside the helmet. Is it possible this helmet is also from '81? Thanks.

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Here are the reconditioned stickers inside the helmet.

BrianK
02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe someone can confirm which of the reconditioning decals is a newer style. To my inexperienced eye, it looks like 1975 is the most recent. The '80' dymotape almost certainly refers to a play number rather than a year. Is there a date on the facemask?

Vikingshelmetguy
02-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Based on that reconditioning sticker, my guess is that this a 1975-76 helmet and not a 1981 helmet. I'm pretty sure the Chargers wore blue helmets with gold lightning bolts in 75-76 and for several years thereafter. It is likely more valuable if it is from 1975... A very cool helmet!

Jayworld
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Also, the clips on a football facemask can be of help. Starting about 1985 or so, the clips on the side became backwards facing (the masks reflected this change as well). Note, too, that the clips on your helmet are clear, which probably means that it would be late 1970s at the earliest, as teams used the colored plastic clips up through the early 1980s until the change to the clear clips (the colored clips turn brittle). I have a game-used USFL Arizona Wranglers helmet from 1983 that has colored blue clips, but the clips have turned a gray/blue over the years and are fragile.

Contact Curtis at helmethut.com with your pics for more help. He is an expert on helmets!