PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Helmet 95-98?

Klattsy
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi All,

Looking to buy my first non-certified GU item and would like some help justifying the purchase :)

It's a Dave Nilsson Batting Helmet...hopefully it's going to make a good b-day present!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330525448250&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

A couple of questions:
1. Is there anything blatantly wrong with this item that would raise suspicion? There are very few pics available but the one's I have found, none have all 3 stickers on the back (number, mlb logo, abc logo).

2. With such obvious game use I thought it would be easy to match, I tried every single website in the photomatch thread but to no avail. Getty was the only decent site with a few pics, the closest I came was actually baseball cards from '96 + '98 but need hi res images to confirm...should this be a concern?

3. In a message to the seller, he says he bought the item from Hartel Sports. Anyone have any opinions on them?

4. Price - what is a good starting point for offers on a GU helmet? It's not certified or photomatched, he others that are listed for less, and it's not like the player was a world beater. However the scarcity of aussie players batting helmets would let me add a bit of a premium...

This would be my first non certified purchase, I know a lot of you don't care much for LOA/holo items, but it's really going out of my comfort zone. One reason why I am tempted by this item is that I have access to Dave Nilsson during our domestic baseball season (which won't start again until November) so hopefully I can get it verified then. In the meantime it will be a big elephant in my room :) The flip-side is price wise, it's a pretty big purchase for me (+postage).

Would appreciate all views please (on the item, not my compulsion with LOA/holo's!).

Thanks,
Mark.
(Australia)

sox83cubs84
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Mark:

I can tell you that Hartel Sports made a couple of bulk purchases from the Brewers of items from 1994-2001 or so. If the seller's claim of sourcing is true, that would be a major plus.

Dave Miedema

ironmanfan
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
The day they start faking Dave Nilsson batting helmets is the day I leave the hobby for good.

hiramman
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Mark,

Trying to photomatch stuf from the early to mid 90's is always tought. The images on Getty are usually low-resolution scans of slides or photos. The digital age had not hit yet. I know the seller and he's quite a but of an expert on batting helmets. Also I'm not exactly sure when MLB started authenticating items, but I'm not sure they even did that back in the early 90's.

It looks like a sweet helmet. Hope you get it for your collection.

Jimmie

hiramman
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Mark,

Trying to photomatch stuff from the early to mid 90's is always tough . The images on Getty are usually low-resolution scans of slides or photos. The digital age had not hit yet. I know the seller and he's quite a bit of an expert on batting helmets. Also I'm not exactly sure when MLB started authenticating items, but I'm not sure they even did that back in the early 90's.

It looks like a sweet helmet. Hope you get it for your collection.

Jimmie

Man I wish there was an edit button on this site.

nt_eagle
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
The day they start faking Dave Nilsson batting helmets is the day I leave the hobby for good.

This ^^^ +1

Klattsy
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, I was mainly just worried that if there was something glaringly obvious. The worse experience would be for me to meet Dave and say "here is your helmet can you please sign it" and have him go "thats not my helmet..."

My greatest concern with "faking" isn't that it's been faked from the ground up, its that it is an "issue" that has been made to look legit, or it's an "issue" and someone else all together has used it.

As much as people hate MLB Holo's, I love em :) It assures me that it is definitely GU by THAT player...I would pay the extra $$$ to know 100% an item is legit.

FWIW - I will hopefully be getting this helmet, the seller is very friendly and knowledgeable as hiramman says. Has also done me a nice deal (I hope!), just gotta convince the Mrs it will make an excellent birthday present! :D

Mark.

Trublubrucru
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
The helmet is consistent with other 95-96 helmets that I have. The three stickers on the back are correct, the number font style is the same, and the size 7 1/2 is correct for Nilly. I have seen number changes on these styles as well. My helmets came from the Brewers clubhouse sales events. Hope this helps you out.

Good Luck, Jeff