PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez game used 555th career HR jersey

nationals2k9
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I just received the new centerpiece to my Manny Ramirez collection - Manny's game used MLB authenticated 555th career HR jersey and also his only HR with the White Sox. Big thanks to Edgar (platinum1) for presenting this jersey to me and working out a relatively flawless transaction. The jersey is unwashed and displays a lot of use for just one game with obvious tobacco stains on both sleeves. There are much smaller tobacco stains visible down the center as well. The second numeral '9' on the reverse shows sweat coming through. Also a couple of loose threads here and there and minor fraying.

There is a very telling video on MLB.com that I continue to watch. The announcers start out talking about the psychological side to hitting and how Manny is a fun-loving guy and then 'BOOM' he lines one out over the left field wall. When he gets back to the dugout you can see him spit down the center of the jersey before getting mobbed by his teammates. Then my favorite part right at the end, "If not the most dominant right-handed hitter of the..."

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12152855&query=%26game_pk%3D266006

Hologram number FJ125243 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Product Description:
Game: MANNY RAMIREZ HIT HIS 555TH CAREER HR AND HIS 1ST HR FOR THE WHITE SOX

Session Name: DET AT CWS
Session Date: September 17, 2010
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: MANNY RAMIREZ

platinum1
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm glad you love the jersey
Now time to have it framed
You wouldn't want it to get dirty LOL!!:D

dcgreg25
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Congrats on a great jersey! Now I know the item that caused you to sell me the Manny Indians bat. The bat arrived today- Thanks!

nationals2k9
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Edgar - I would get it framed right now but you have all my money :D

Greg - Glad you got it, hope it was what you were looking for!

What does everyone else think? I wish I could capture this beauty better with pictures but it's tough for some reason. Maybe I need an equipment upgrade? Was great to see Manny and Johnny Damon mix it up with the media yesterday in Tampa. Getting excited for the 2011 season!

sox83cubs84
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Cool jersey...interesting, as well, that his one Chisox HR came on the one occasion that these jerseys were worn.

Dave Miedema

LWMM
02-02-2011, 09:54 PM
What does everyone else think? I wish I could capture this beauty better with pictures but it's tough for some reason. Maybe I need an equipment upgrade? Was great to see Manny and Johnny Damon mix it up with the media yesterday in Tampa. Getting excited for the 2011 season!

Must be pretty cool to have the jersey from what is currently his last home run. That said, I'm surprised you're not hoping that Ramirez flames out and doesn't hit any more in 2011 ;)

platinum1
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
This jersey might be the only documented Manny Home Run jersey.
Its a great looking jersey with tons of use

onlyalbert
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I have a question. In your opinion what is an average price of a game used MLB jersey? Average player, minor star, star etc. I can assume a basement price of $100 or so, but what would someone be likely to encounter? Just curious to everyone's thoughts. And how much for your favorite player?

nationals2k9
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a question. In your opinion what is an average price of a game used MLB jersey? Average player, minor star, star etc. I can assume a basement price of $100 or so, but what would someone be likely to encounter? Just curious to everyone's thoughts. And how much for your favorite player?

In my opinion, a very tough question to answer. For me, there's a premium on a Manny shirt that's unwashed, MLB authenticated, linked to a HR (albeit the only one with the team), and from a guy who spent years in Boston apparently ordering tons of extra gear and adding his own tags and signing it all "game used" (just some rumors out there, not saying it's all bad stuff). Although I don't have tons of money lying around, I can honestly say I waited for this to come along and feel like my patience paid off this time. But to generalize about prices is very tough, even more so than with bats I would say. You can always browse MLB auctions, eBay, and all the rest and form your own opinion pretty quick! Thanks

nationals2k9
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Must be pretty cool to have the jersey from what is currently his last home run. That said, I'm surprised you're not hoping that Ramirez flames out and doesn't hit any more in 2011 ;)

I had that thought that if he never hit another one, this thing would be that much more special. But he's 170 RBI away from 2000 and with two more full healthy seasons there's a shot to get there. But most of all, he's so good for the game since you either hate the guy or love the guy and that will probably never change.

Rob L
02-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Hmm. Good question. I would say the average jersey averages $150. My favorite player is Troy Percival - jerseys that I have ranged from $125 to $700 for one of his all-star jerseys, average of $350 (out of the seven jerseys I have),

Rob L
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
BTW, killer jersey Nat2K9. Congrats.

NeonStatus
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Wow, I really like the jersey. When I seen the post about it being at Sox fest I was trying to get together some money to buy it. Looks like you purchased it before could. :( If you ever want to move that jersey I would definitely appreciate it just as much as you do (I truly mean it).

Very nice pick up.

onlyalbert
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Hmm. Good question. I would say the average jersey averages $150. My favorite player is Troy Percival - jerseys that I have ranged from $125 to $700 for one of his all-star jerseys, average of $350 (out of the seven jerseys I have),

I have always found if funny that you can buy a game used jersey at most team stores of an average player far cheaper than you can buy a retail jersey.

Rob L
02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I have always found if funny that you can buy a game used jersey at most team stores of an average player far cheaper than you can buy a retail jersey.

Very true. I bought a GU Angels jersey for $129 at the stadium a couple of years ago and the retail versions were selling for $139. Crazy.

geoff
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Sweet looking Jersey.Congrats On The Pickup.

gameused
02-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Mike,

Really nice pick up....not too "Manny" MLB authenticated jerseys of Ramirez out there and this one is from his 555th HR.....sweet! Great addition to your Manny collection!

Bobby

allstarsplus
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Edgar - I would get it framed right now but you have all my money :D

Greg - Glad you got it, hope it was what you were looking for!

I think it is a great jersey and the MLB hologram just makes it perfect. Manny's 500 HR jersey wasn't even hologram'd so you have the only one I have ever heard of for a true HR jersey!

On framing, if you do frame it make sure it is on a hanger where you aren't affixing it to the background and attached to anything.

Found this cool article about the jerseys "Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day" promotion :
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/2255/green-uniforms-greener-lineup-tonight

allstarsplus
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I guess you haven't been to the Yankees team store, Orioles team store, Mets, Nationals, Cardinals, Angels, and most others. When ever I travel to another city, I try to check out their team store for game used items. I find just the opposite of your statment. I find overpriced items for average players.

Where you will find the "cheaper" jerseys are at the FanFests but those have questionable use and usually aren't hologram'd.

Just curious what team stores you are going to.

emann
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Awesome looking jersey, congrats!

rdeversole
02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
wow! Nice jersey. I would purchase that should it become available! ;-)

LWMM
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I had that thought that if he never hit another one, this thing would be that much more special. But he's 170 RBI away from 2000 and with two more full healthy seasons there's a shot to get there. But most of all, he's so good for the game since you either hate the guy or love the guy and that will probably never change.

Well, looks like this jersey will remain the one from his last home run. But I can't tell whether it just shot up in value, or down...

nationals2k9
04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
My real life got in the way and it's not mine anymore anyway. I initially thought up in value but not sure either. Would anyone care if they had Raffy's last HR jersey or Sheffield's? This was the last type of exit I expected him to make. What a crazy story.

Mac670
04-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Well I also have Manny Ramirez last Jackie Robinson Day Jersey, probably a good time to think about selling.

CollectGU
04-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, looks like this jersey will remain the one from his last home run. But I can't tell whether it just shot up in value, or down...

Down, like Palmeiro's stuff

Rboitano
04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Manny what an idiot, got to place him in palmiero's price bracket now. Ouch

justinbittner220
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Whether or not he used steroids, Manny still had an amazing career and this is a very well documented, beautiful jersey.

momen55
04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm glad you love the jersey
Now time to have it framed
You wouldn't want it to get dirty LOL!!:D

does the team have the equipment? i would be interested in a green flapless helmet?

allstarsplus
04-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Whether or not he used steroids, Manny still had an amazing career and this is a very well documented, beautiful jersey.

I agree with that. Manny's 500 HR jersey wasn't even MLB hologram'd and I don't know for a fact about other HR jerseys but when Michael told me he bought this jersey I thought the greatest value was the fact that it was MLB Hologram'd and there may not be any other Manny holo'd HR jerseys in existence. If someone knows of another Manny HR jersey that is photomatched or MLB holo'd, let's hear about it.

Now that this looks like it most likely will be Manny's last HR ever makes this jersey even more valuable. The story behind it is also adds to the value with Manny getting traded from the Dodgers to the Chisox and was the only HR he hit for Chicago and now the last (?) of his career.

Now to the value, the value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Right now I would say it is $5,000 to $10,000, and I can say a minimum of $5,000 as I personally would buy it for that from the person Michael sold it to!

BostonSportsFan
04-10-2011, 09:29 AM

I agree with that. Manny's 500 HR jersey wasn't even MLB hologram'd and I don't know for a fact about other HR jerseys but when Michael told me he bought this jersey I thought the greatest value was the fact that it was MLB Hologram'd and there may not be any other Manny holo'd HR jerseys in existence. If someone knows of another Manny HR jersey that is photomatched or MLB holo'd, let's hear about it.

Now that this looks like it most likely will be Manny's last HR ever makes this jersey even more valuable. The story behind it is also adds to the value with Manny getting traded from the Dodgers to the Chisox and was the only HR he hit for Chicago and now the last (?) of his career.

Now to the value, the value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Right now I would say it is $5,000 to $10,000, and I can say a minimum of $5,000 as I personally would buy it for that from the person Michael sold it to!

Andrew:

Rumor has it that this jersey was purchased by a high end game used collector out of the Los Angeles area Steve Mears. I emailed Mr. Mears without any response so far. If he has it can anybody confirm this. I would pay right now $10,000 for that jersey without question.

Joe

gamer35
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I really do not get why a one game specialty jersey would shoot up to anything above $1500, regardless of what number home run jersey it was. You guys really think that a last HR jersey for a shirt worn one game would increase in value to $5k-10k because the guy was found to be a drug cheat who was basically forced to retire from baseball?

I do own a photomatched home 09 jersey which was photomatched to multiple home runs in April-May 2009 prior to his first 50 game suspension and am close on a photomatch to a home 2010 HR jersey used to hit his second home run of the year. Email me at mannygameused@gmail.com if interested on seeing the pics.

legaleagle92481
04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
IMO the question is not value but why a collector would want it. Manny cheated himself, his teamates, his family, his opponents, the fans and everyone else. The guy has been caught three times. It shows that either he is a total moron or more likely he just does not care. he made his $200 million now good bye and good riddance.

Rob L
04-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Andrew:

Rumor has it that this jersey was purchased by a high end game used collector out of the Los Angeles area Steve Mears. I emailed Mr. Mears without any response so far. If he has it can anybody confirm this. I would pay right now $10,000 for that jersey without question.

Joe

Wow. Really? What a joke!!

nationals2k9
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Some excellent points during the game on ESPN last night. My favorite was from Orel who basically said, the HOF is quickly becoming a place in the heart of each individual fan, not so much whether or not a player lands in Cooperstown one day. I think I may just run with that one... I agree 100%. They also said that the Hall is starting to look more like a museum with everything that's happened the last few years. I like that too.

Why all of us are trying to make conclusive comments about Manny just a couple days after this all happened is beyond me. And comparing him to Jason Giambi is just stupid. Paying a guy millions of dollars for being at the top of his profession has no direct correlation with stuff like how many babies he was seen kissing.

BostonSportsFan - I'm sure Andrew will get ahold of you if he hasn't already. I agree the jersey probably went up in value for the small number of us who still consider Manny one of the best we've ever seen with our own eyes. I'm smart enough to acknowledge that number is getting smaller by the day. But to each his own.

BostonSportsFan
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I finally heard back from Steve Mears and he said he had no interest in a $10,000 offer for the Manny jersey. He said he wouldn't even take $15,000 for it as it was a much needed part of his Manny Ramirez HR collection. I am not going over $10,000 as that was my top end. I even offered to trade him a game used Pauly Pierce Boston jersey as part of the deal plus cash and he said no dice.

As far as this being some type of "joke" as Rob L states, everyone has their area of interest. I am guessing that all of the Manny collectors on here are not going to suddenly liquidate their entire collections now that Manny has tested postive for another banned substance since we have been down this road before.

Everyone can collect what they enjoy collecting and if someone finds value in an item then all the better for them and it is what it is. Obviously since my $10k offer to Mr. Mears would not get the deal done, I am not the only one that is willing to pay at a higher level for Manny gear.

As Mr. Dave Grob says "Enjoy what you collect and collect what you enjoy"

Joe

LastingsMilledge85
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I finally heard back from Steve Mears and he said he had no interest in a $10,000 offer for the Manny jersey. He said he wouldn't even take $15,000 for it as it was a much needed part of his Manny Ramirez HR collection. I am not going over $10,000 as that was my top end. I even offered to trade him a game used Pauly Pierce Boston jersey as part of the deal plus cash and he said no dice.

The nerve of him!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/09/animated-memes-angrybaby-450js092610.gif

gamer35
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM

As far as this being some type of "joke" as Rob L states, everyone has their area of interest. I am guessing that all of the Manny collectors on here are not going to suddenly liquidate their entire collections now that Manny has tested postive for another banned substance since we have been down this road before.

Everyone can collect what they enjoy collecting and if someone finds value in an item then all the better for them and it is what it is. Obviously since my $10k offer to Mr. Mears would not get the deal done, I am not the only one that is willing to pay at a higher level for Manny gear.

As Mr. Dave Grob says "Enjoy what you collect and collect what you enjoy"

Joe

I really dont get how a jersey can jump from lets say $1200-$1500 to $10,000-$15,000 just because the guy was once again discovered as a cheat and he hit his last home run in it (albeit in a 1 day specialty shirt). If you guys are looking for Manny HR shirts from his Indians, Sox, and Dodgers years and are looking to pay prices like that, feel free to contact me.

DeacDoug
04-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Love that jersey, which I owned it, and love Manny. But what an idiot! Guess he just couldn't hit anymore. His last hurrah was '08 with the Dodgers when he was hitting like Bonds. However, you may not have heard the last of Manny. His son, Manny Jr., is a 6-4, 220 high school sophomore playing for the IMG junior varsity. Manny has another, much younger son also named Manny with a different mother.

allstarsplus
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I really dont get how a jersey can jump from lets say $1200-$1500 to $10,000-$15,000 just because the guy was once again discovered as a cheat and he hit his last home run in it (albeit in a 1 day specialty shirt). If you guys are looking for Manny HR shirts from his Indians, Sox, and Dodgers years and are looking to pay prices like that, feel free to contact me.

From what I heard, Benko paid much more than that and sold it to S. Mears at a price about 3x what you are estimating as I think you are off on your evaluation as this is rare if you collect HR jerseys with impeccable provenance.

MLB Auctions has his Opening Day Tampa jersey up for auction and that will sell most likely well in excess of $1,200 and he didn't hit any HRs with that jersey. It will most likely be his "last" Opening Day jersey but other than that, not too much other significance with the jersey and I predict it will get to $2,500.

If you have MLB Authenticated ManRam HR jerseys, I am interested so please send me an email. thanks.

allstarsplus
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
MLB Auctions has his Opening Day Tampa jersey up for auction and that will sell most likely well in excess of $1,200 and he didn't hit any HRs with that jersey. It will most likely be his "last" Opening Day jersey but other than that, not too much other significance with the jersey and I predict it will get to $2,500.

Already over $2,000!!!!

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=150975911&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=151322621

gamer35
04-15-2011, 06:13 PM
From what I heard, Benko paid much more than that and sold it to S. Mears at a price about 3x what you are estimating as I think you are off on your evaluation as this is rare if you collect HR jerseys with impeccable provenance.

If you have MLB Authenticated ManRam HR jerseys, I am interested so please send me an email. thanks.

I know that the Manny White Sox HR Jersey was sold by the White Sox for $1200. Pretty fair price considering that his Dodger shirts sold around 700-1000 through 2009 and 2010, but I guess some people place a large premium on it being a HR shirt.

The Manny HR jerseys i have are not MLB authenticated, but matched to game photos and video.

allstarsplus
04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I know that the Manny White Sox HR Jersey was sold by the White Sox for $1200. Pretty fair price considering that his Dodger shirts sold around 700-1000 through 2009 and 2010, but I guess some people place a large premium on it being a HR shirt.

The Manny HR jerseys i have are not MLB authenticated, but matched to game photos and video.

I understand and I clearly was pointing out what Mike Benko paid and what S. Mears paid.

When Edgar purchased it, you have to wonder if people knew he hit a HR with it.

gameused
04-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I could never understand why collectors pay a premium for a players home run jersey, especially a jersey worn for only one game, the jersey had nothing to do with the HR being hit, it's just some sewn fabric that he wore for the game.

I would pay a premium for the bat the player hit the HR with or the HR baseball some fan caught in the stands.

Not too long ago on SCP auctions Kurt Gibsons 1998 WS HR jersey brought in $303,000 and the HR bat brought in close to 600,000 almost double of what the jersey sold for.

If I was the owner of this Manny jersey and someone offered me $10-15 grand, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, Bobby

allstarsplus
04-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I could never understand why collectors pay a premium for a players home run jersey, especially a jersey worn for only one game, the jersey had nothing to do with the HR being hit, it's just some sewn fabric that he wore for the game.

I would pay a premium for the bat the player hit the HR with or the HR baseball some fan caught in the stands.

Not too long ago on SCP auctions Kurt Gibsons 1998 WS HR jersey brought in $303,000 and the HR bat brought in close to 600,000 almost double of what the jersey sold for.

If I was the owner of this Manny jersey and someone offered me $10-15 grand, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, Bobby

Bobby - I see your point but the rarity of a HR jersey is much greater than the HR bat IMO. The jerseys are generally controlled by the team and the bats generally by the player and since they wear the jerseys longer it is difficult to match jerseys.

A hologram'd jersey attributable to a HR is very rare. Now maybe with the Yankees barcoding it won't be as rare, but I collect HR items and my favorite items are HR balls and the jerseys as I have a few in my collection and in comparison I have dozens of HR bats.

Now if you are an ARod collector, there are probably 400 or more HR bats out there and you probably couldn't count more than a few jerseys that you absolutely knew was worn for a HR.