PDA

View Full Version : who are your "contacts"

onlyalbert
02-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I've always found it interesting how people acquire their "contacts" to obtain things. Here's my story. I have a neighbor who is related to an ex Cardinal player from the early 80's. I played college ball with a guy who got called up in Sept 98 with JD Drew when the homerun chase was in full swing. I played high school ball with the Asst. Athletic Trainer of the Twins. And, maybe my best, Cliff Lee's agent.....I used to date his little sister (20 yrs. ago). However, I have never tried to use any of my contacts to obtain anything....yet. So tell us your stories.

sox83cubs84
02-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I have a number of contacts around MLB (players and coaches) that have helped me out in the past. That said, I will divulge no identities...decades ago, I made the mistake of letting a female ballpark rat know who I was getting cracked bats from. I was hospitalized for several weeks early one season, and, when I got back to the park, she had used a front-office friend to help take over my source and get what were my items for herself. Then, on top of that, she wanted to use me to set the values and tell her what they were worth....for items that she had stolen my source from me! I finally told her I was going to charge her for authentications and appraisals...haven't heard from her since, over 20 years of silence. Of course, she gave up the access she had wormed her way into when she couldn't lean on me for free advice any more...served the b***h right.

Dave Miedema

nationals2k9
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
No one in their right mind is going to tell you anything, less maybe some very vague generalizations like "team source." You seemed to mention people you just happen to have some link to that have something to do with baseball.... but having not asked them to aid in your collection doesn't equal a true "source" in my mind. Generally speaking, I think it's always beneficial to let people know how you are, what you collect, and what's important to you. Laying a solid foundation of trust is key to people ever doing anything they don't have to in your benefit. After a billion posts on here, emails, phone calls, hours and hours of research, I'm just now getting to the point where someone will find me every now and again because they have some idea what's important to me. Never fear showing your true passion towards sports and collecting and all the rest.... you never know exactly how someone else may be willing to help you out! :cool:

CampWest
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
eBay.com
Gameusedunivese.com/vb_forum
hofbats.com
gameusedbats.com
auctions.mlb.com

:( :o sadly, I have zero "contacts" that are actually in the game. I know a guy that is friends with a guy in the Red Sox clubhouse, but that has yielded me absolutely zero.

nationals2k9
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
how you are

* WHO you are

Meaning, no harm in emailing so and so and simply saying, "My name is 'x' and I also like to collect player 'y' - always feel free to send me pictures of your collection or ask questions."

frikativ54
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow. Posts like some of these are the reason why the hobby has become a lot less enjoyable. I have never hidden a source from anyone; I don't believe we are entitled to things just by virtue of having an inside name. We should share our knowledge, because nobody really needs ten game-used jerseys or fifty bats of a single player.

Sadly, the hobby has become overtaken by certain greedy dealers who never learned how to share. What ends up happening is the average collector doesn't have access to things at fair prices because somebody has a special source that's all theirs and makes it miserable for those not in the know.

What's wrong with sharing? Are certain dealers/collectors so insecure that they have to have every item of a single player?

-Frik

onlyalbert
02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry, just jumped back on. I wasn't meaning for anybody to "give up their sources" or name names by any means. Just wanted to start a friendly discussion. The reason I have not "used" my sources is I just got back into the hobby and feel odd about how to ask.

Has anyone just contacted someone by e-mail through a team website?

nationals2k9
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Wow. Posts like some of these are the reason why the hobby has become a lot less enjoyable. I have never hidden a source from anyone; I don't believe we are entitled to things just by virtue of having an inside name. We should share our knowledge, because nobody really needs ten game-used jerseys or fifty bats of a single player.

Sadly, the hobby has become overtaken by certain greedy dealers who never learned how to share. What ends up happening is the average collector doesn't have access to things at fair prices because somebody has a special source that's all theirs and makes it miserable for those not in the know.

What's wrong with sharing? Are certain dealers/collectors so insecure that they have to have every item of a single player?

-Frik

I must not read what was said the same way. Dave said he was turned against once upon a time and learned a lesson. I suggested that probably not many people are going to be too quick to share private information... followed by some ways to make yourself more recognizable by other collectors. Anyone who knows me and is curious about things I have or know about has taken the time to call or email. That's totally different than divulging information in a format as public as this.

If you knew the best way to get a great table at your favorite restaurant, would you post that info for the world to see and jeopardize never having that luxury again? I would say, "You don't have to eat there, you know" and you would say, "But it's my favorite place, I really really like it and wish to continue to get my favorite table." I was frankly quite frightened when going through my most recent transaction because of all of the other collectors out there, many without any regard for my best interests, many more or less after the same thing I'm trying to add to my collection. If we were to all share everything we know, it'd be another three years before I sniffed another opportunity like the one I just had. I don't think that's too hard for even the nicest and most generous of us to grasp!

onlyalbert
02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a number of contacts around MLB (players and coaches) that have helped me out in the past. That said, I will divulge no identities...decades ago, I made the mistake of letting a female ballpark rat know who I was getting cracked bats from. I was hospitalized for several weeks early one season, and, when I got back to the park, she had used a front-office friend to help take over my source and get what were my items for herself. Then, on top of that, she wanted to use me to set the values and tell her what they were worth....for items that she had stolen my source from me! I finally told her I was going to charge her for authentications and appraisals...haven't heard from her since, over 20 years of silence. Of course, she gave up the access she had wormed her way into when she couldn't lean on me for free advice any more...served the b***h right.

Dave Miedema

Dave, nice story! Sorry it turned out the way it did. I can't believe she would come to you for advice after the fact!

nationals2k9
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry, just jumped back on. I wasn't meaning for anybody to "give up their sources" or name names by any means. Just wanted to start a friendly discussion. The reason I have not "used" my sources is I just got back into the hobby and feel odd about how to ask.

Has anyone just contacted someone by e-mail through a team website?

Sure, I do it all the time. The only problem with MLB and email is all teams have a different format and it's sometimes hard to figure out what it is. For example, the Rangers is first initial, last name, followed by texasrangers.com and the Nationals is first name dot last name followed by just nationals.com

Email me michael_benko@yahoo.com if you ever need help figuring one out!

onlyalbert
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Sure, I do it all the time. The only problem with MLB and email is all teams have a different format and it's sometimes hard to figure out what it is. For example, the Rangers is first initial, last name, followed by texasrangers.com and the Nationals is first name dot last name followed by just nationals.com

Email me michael_benko@yahoo.com if you ever need help figuring one out!

Mike, thanks for the info. I think...at least on the Cardinals site...you can go to "roster" section and it shows who does what, and I know they are first initial last name@cardinals.com. I wonder if the players have team e-mail?

Nice jersey by the way!

Birdbats
02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
The reason you don't disclose contacts is because those sources could get into trouble if it becomes public knowledge that they're flipping items. I'm not necessarily talking about the clubbies or grounds crew guys who pilfer stuff from the teams and sell it for extra cash -- that's typically against team policy and could get them fired. I'm talking about the employees who receive legit gifts from players, and then sell those items, either because they need the money or simply because they're not collectors. There also are team employees who acquire items through legit means at reduced prices and resell them... for example, the souvenir shop worker who gets an employee discount and first crack at items before the public. There also are friends and family members who flip items, sometimes without the blessing of the player who gave them the items. Whatever the circumstances, these people typically don't want it known that they're selling what they acquire because it could have professional and/or personal repercussions. Not to mention they have a right to privacy. So, if you ask me for a source and I refuse to share, it's not because I'm greedy -- though there's a good chance I'd lose that source if I disclosed his/her name. It's because my sources prefer to remain anonymous.

dcrules01
02-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I have no team sources but have made some good collector contacts. I'm always willing to help out a fellow collector. A lot of people who have oipened up there collections are private collectors that are not members of the board. I would never reveal them out of respect for there privacy. As for owning every jersey or bat of a player if I collect a certain player yes that would be my goal. Does it mean I'm greedy I don't think so. I will also over pay to get that item. I would never ask another collector for there contacts they did the leg work to put themselves in that position.

onlyalbert
02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I think I better rephrase my question. A better question would've been: "How did you come to obtain your contacts?" By no means am I asking people to reveal their sources. Jeff's post hit it on the head and is definitely common sense. Sorry for the confusion. Only interested in "cool stories".

A.P.

xpress34
02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
30+ years of collecting bolstered by working in Sports Card shops and then at Coors Field, for Nike and then for Rawlings has availed me to some decent contacts as well as fellow collectors who I know personally whom I've shared some info with to help each other out.

I think keeping your 'sources' private is paramount to continue having a strong relationship with them and that includes collectors from here and other sites that I have helped move some items.

I won't reveal what items, what sources or what collectors because that would destroy my credibility with them to either get items or move items for them.

When I use the old standby - a clubhouse source - and with my background and history with those who know me, that should be enough. If it's not, then I'm sorry - good luck finding the same item from someone else.

Not trying to sound superior - I'm just fortunate that my job choices and such put me in position to meet these people.

As far as being greedy? Really? I'm sure - in fact I know - there are those people who feel entitled and they do sour the hobby.

For myself, if someone asks if I can get them something through a source, it depends on our history together and if I'm already trying to acquire something for my collection as well as a number of other factors.

If I have access to something that doesn't interest me or doesn't fit my collection, I will pass it on and try to get others the best deal I can on something. Sometimes sources might offer me a better deal on something than they would sell it to someone else. Does that make me obligated to ask them to sell it to my acquaintance for the same they would sell it me? In my opinion, no.

In a lot of cases, I am just the middle man trying to help out others who (as others stated) wish to remain anonymous and for reasons they don't need to explain.

Just my .02 on it.

- Smitty

P.S. - I forgot the 'feel good' or 'cool stories' part... a few of my sources had made it so I can sometimes acquire tougher to get GU pieces (belts, stirrups, etc) or let me know where to catch up with certain people or access to hang out IN the out of town scoreboard during games, etc.

sox83cubs84
02-03-2011, 07:35 PM

-Frik

Frik:

I neither need nor want 10 jerseys nor 50 bats of a player...1 or 2 apiece will do. However, after being betrayed by a woman I considered a friend...and then her having the gall to ask me to coach her on what items were worth and what she could sell them for, I figured enough was enough.

A similar situation is why I began asking for a fee for jersey authentications before anyone else. A local show had a man walk in with a Don Kessinger Cubs flannel. I made an offer, and he accepted, under one condition...that I pay cash, not check. A dealer strolling around the room overheard the conversation and, once I was on a pay phone calling a friend to bring cash, he bought the jersey out from under me, and bolted the show before I got back, unwilling to face me over his sneaky tactics.

In a perfect world, sharing sources would be ideal and proper...but, we are not in a perfect world, and for every person out there who would honor your confidence in sharing a source, there are probably just as many who would pounce on your contact behind your back the minute you weren't around.

Sad, but, oh, so very true.

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Frik:

I neither need nor want 10 jerseys nor 50 bats of a player...1 or 2 apiece will do. However, after being betrayed by a woman I considered a friend...and then her having the gall to ask me to coach her on what items were worth and what she could sell them for, I figured enough was enough.

A similar situation is why I began asking for a fee for jersey authentications before anyone else. A local show had a man walk in with a Don Kessinger Cubs flannel. I made an offer, and he accepted, under one condition...that I pay cash, not check. A dealer strolling around the room overheard the conversation and, once I was on a pay phone calling a friend to bring cash, he bought the jersey out from under me, and bolted the show before I got back, unwilling to face me over his sneaky tactics.

In a perfect world, sharing sources would be ideal and proper...but, we are not in a perfect world, and for every person out there who would honor your confidence in sharing a source, there are probably just as many who would pounce on your contact behind your back the minute you weren't around.

Sad, but, oh, so very true.

Dave Miedema

So sorry this was your experience, Dave. Especially while you were in the hospital. I did not mean to imply that you wanted 10 jerseys or 50 bats, just that I have had experiences with those who do and that they have soured the hobby for me. I guess that's why the post struck a nerve.

And the issue about privacy, that is a fair one. If people don't want their names revealed, I understand that. It's just there are times where people are buying items secondhand from other collectors, and they won't give a collector's name just so they can hoard items. It is this that disgusts me.

-Frik

platinum1
02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
30+ years of collecting bolstered by working in Sports Card shops and then at Coors Field, for Nike and then for Rawlings has availed me to some decent contacts as well as fellow collectors who I know personally whom I've shared some info with to help each other out.

I think keeping your 'sources' private is paramount to continue having a strong relationship with them and that includes collectors from here and other sites that I have helped move some items.

I won't reveal what items, what sources or what collectors because that would destroy my credibility with them to either get items or move items for them.

When I use the old standby - a clubhouse source - and with my background and history with those who know me, that should be enough. If it's not, then I'm sorry - good luck finding the same item from someone else.

Not trying to sound superior - I'm just fortunate that my job choices and such put me in position to meet these people.

As far as being greedy? Really? I'm sure - in fact I know - there are those people who feel entitled and they do sour the hobby.

For myself, if someone asks if I can get them something through a source, it depends on our history together and if I'm already trying to acquire something for my collection as well as a number of other factors.

If I have access to something that doesn't interest me or doesn't fit my collection, I will pass it on and try to get others the best deal I can on something. Sometimes sources might offer me a better deal on something than they would sell it to someone else. Does that make me obligated to ask them to sell it to my acquaintance for the same they would sell it me? In my opinion, no.

In a lot of cases, I am just the middle man trying to help out others who (as others stated) wish to remain anonymous and for reasons they don't need to explain.

Just my .02 on it.

- Smitty

P.S. - I forgot the 'feel good' or 'cool stories' part... a few of my sources had made it so I can sometimes acquire tougher to get GU pieces (belts, stirrups, etc) or let me know where to catch up with certain people or access to hang out IN the out of town scoreboard during games, etc.
Smitty Can you please send me an email. I have a quick question for you
Thanks
Edgar
edgar@platinummemorabilia.net

metsbats
02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
The reason you don't disclose contacts is because those sources could get into trouble if it becomes public knowledge that they're flipping items. I'm not necessarily talking about the clubbies or grounds crew guys who pilfer stuff from the teams and sell it for extra cash -- that's typically against team policy and could get them fired. I'm talking about the employees who receive legit gifts from players, and then sell those items, either because they need the money or simply because they're not collectors. There also are team employees who acquire items through legit means at reduced prices and resell them... for example, the souvenir shop worker who gets an employee discount and first crack at items before the public. There also are friends and family members who flip items, sometimes without the blessing of the player who gave them the items. Whatever the circumstances, these people typically don't want it known that they're selling what they acquire because it could have professional and/or personal repercussions. Not to mention they have a right to privacy. So, if you ask me for a source and I refuse to share, it's not because I'm greedy -- though there's a good chance I'd lose that source if I disclosed his/her name. It's because my sources prefer to remain anonymous.

Very well put Jeff.

This has always been kind of a unwritten code of conduct or protocol as far as I remember.

Newbies to the hobby need to realize this.

Of course nowadays with teams selling their own stuff you can always get a contact (ie Tyrel with the Mets or Marc with the Tigers,etc).

However the old school way of acquiring stuff is still alive and kicking.

Chris78
02-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Most of my stuff I buy directly from the team at fanfests or at the games themselves. Anybody else could do the same thing assuming your team does this.

As far as beyond this, many years of collecting might give you an added bonus to obtain stuff, or if you buy a lot of stuff they might give you a discount even if you are new to the hobby.

Chris

perlman9
02-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I agree with Jeff as well. I recently stating buying from someone with MLB contact, and that is where I got the Mauer and Cano. Someone asked me for his contact info and I felt like a jerk for saying no, but for the same reasons Jeff commented on. However, he has a lot of items and has taken requests for me so am happy to help collectors get what they want but don't want to burn bridges by passing his info out. I am getting a few more items in, but he has stuff like AROD issued bat, Johan Santana issued bat, Manny Sox bat, Miguel Cabrera game used and all-star issued bats and other nice items that I am not interested in so will be happy to try to help where I can... Thanks for saying what I couldn't figure out how to say, Jeff!

UGA016
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Funny!! People are always asking me how I aquire most of my UGA stuff. I will say I have built relationships with some very Trustworthy Private collectors as well as People within the UGA Athletic Program. But it has always been a rule of mine not to speak or utter a name of who I deal with. Strictly Confidential. It is the only way to protect my investments as well as their jobs. Why mess up a good thing.

sox83cubs84
02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
So sorry this was your experience, Dave. Especially while you were in the hospital. I did not mean to imply that you wanted 10 jerseys or 50 bats, just that I have had experiences with those who do and that they have soured the hobby for me. I guess that's why the post struck a nerve.

And the issue about privacy, that is a fair one. If people don't want their names revealed, I understand that. It's just there are times where people are buying items secondhand from other collectors, and they won't give a collector's name just so they can hoard items. It is this that disgusts me.

-Frik

I have encountered that, as well, Frik...we have one guy locally, 30-something, who throuh working at the Sun-Times Shows' autograph lines, has made friends with several Cubs players. This guy goes on power trips when he's working at the show autograph tables, and acts similarly when he sees someone else trying to obtain items from "his" players. He went almost hysterical in the 1990s when I asked Steve Trachsel about an item...Trax and I knew each other, as well, but, since he had already gotten a glove from Trax, he decided he had to have it all.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
02-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Smitty Can you please send me an email. I have a quick question for you
Thanks
Edgar
edgar@platinummemorabilia.net

Edgar -

I'm out of town until Monday night / Tuesday morning. I'll get back to you when I'm back in Denver!

- Smitty