PDA

View Full Version : Knob Markings on Ken Williams 1922-1925 GU H&B Bat

vegas
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I have a Ken Williams game used H&B 125 bat from 1922-1925 labeling period. My question is about knob markings. This particular bat has stamping in the knob that consists of 2 capital "B"s and 2 capital "C"s. These are stamped deep into the knob. Did H&B do any knob stamping this early? If so what is the meaning?
Thanks

vegas
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Here are some pics

corsairs25
02-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a Ken Williams game used H&B 125 bat from 1922-1925 labeling period. My question is about knob markings. This particular bat has stamping in the knob that consists of 2 capital "B"s and 2 capital "C"s. These are stamped deep into the knob. Did H&B do any knob stamping this early? If so what is the meaning?
Thanks

I am not an expert, but I believe that they started putting inch marks on the knobs around 1920. When they started putting model numbers on the knobs in the 40's, they would look for the old bats that were protypes for the various models and would stamp the newly designated model number on the old bats. For example, I have a side-written Dave Robertson bat from the teens that was later stamped ""R24 on its knob. But model numbers have numerals as well as letters. So, my guess is that "B" "C" are the initials of someone who used the bat at some time. I would like to hear what someone with real knowledge of this stuff thinks.

MGHProductions
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Those aren't vault marks.. Probably stamped by the owner at some point in time. Could stand for a community college or just the owners initials stamped twice.
Matt