PDA

View Full Version : "game used" inscription

onlyalbert
02-07-2011, 04:54 PM
What are your thoughts on having players sign "game used" on an item with their signature? Is it a more recent phenomenon and do you think it will continue to be popular? Do you like it or does it seem irrelevent?

yankees506
02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
To me the "game used" inscription is vital, if you know the persons hand writing, it would be the same as them writing a coa for you. But to each his own as i know many collectors who think a signature on the bat takes away from its originality let alone an inscription

spartanservitto
02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I love it when you recognize a players handwriting, and its sourced from them, it makes me think the item is a bit more special.

-Tony

Manram
02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Usually I dont like game used bats that are just signed. But when they are inscribed with anything or inscribed game used even i like those

Klattsy
02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
A lot of the items I buy aren't inscribed, but I am actively trying to get them with the "game used" inscription. I think it's great and helps you connect with the player. Although sometimes I think that they might be thinking "he only wants me to write that to increase sale value"...

Mark.

onlyalbert
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
A lot of the items I buy aren't inscribed, but I am actively trying to get them with the "game used" inscription. I think it's great and helps you connect with the player. Although sometimes I think that they might be thinking "he only wants me to write that to increase sale value"...

Mark.

Yea, I wonder that too. I like other inscriptions like a Rasmus bat I had him write "2009 Rookie Season" and Jack Clark wrote all kinds of stuff on a 87 All Star game bat of his. He really enjoyed seeing it again. Maybe the "game used" by itself is too generic.

MarinersFan34
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't mind buying signed bats or getting them signed by the player but I've never cared for an inscription that is simply "Game Used" and I try to not buy anything signed that way. To me, you might as well have the player sign "This was my bat/jersey" I mean it's obvious it was game used, why bother stating the obvious?

Adding a certain saying, a nickname or inscription relating to the year it was used is a nice touch but I guess "game used" to me is too generic and redundant and I'll never ask for it.

onlyalbert
02-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't mind buying signed bats or getting them signed by the player but I've never cared for an inscription that is simply "Game Used" and I try to not buy anything signed that way. To me, you might as well have the player sign "This was my bat/jersey" I mean it's obvious it was game used, why bother stating the obvious?

Adding a certain saying, a nickname or inscription relating to the year it was used is a nice touch but I guess "game used" to me is too generic and redundant and I'll never ask for it.

Jeremy, I'm leaning with you on this one. Well put.

mlupo
02-08-2011, 03:19 AM
I like the "game used" inscription when it has a year or date to go along with it.

jake33
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Odd but I like items that are NOT jerseys signed as game used, but hate jersey signed as gmae used and signed in general.

I have had the following players inscribe "game used" on items ad this it dresses it up a little.

Ben Zobrist Batting helmet
Scott Cursi catcher's helmet
Jonny Gomes bat
Shawn Riggans - bat
Eric Hinske - bating gloves

Also, as a side not, many players will have a sloppy autograph. When they inscribe game used their handwriting is much cleaner AND legible, which I like.

legaleagle92481
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I personally hate autographed gu items. I find it takes away from the item. Does the player wear a jersey with an autograph on the back? Plus if the signature bleeds you can ruin a nice item. The inscription to me means nothing as for the right price ala Arod many players will sign anything game used. Plus as another poster pointed out the item should be obviously gu from its apperance making the inscription redundant.

mlupo
02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Plus as another poster pointed out the item should be obviously gu from its apperance making the inscription redundant.

It isn't always obvious that a jersey is game used, take for example a pitchers jersey from a player today who wears many different jerseys during a season, but isnt usually involved in plays that would cause wear or stains, especially on the back of the jersey. If you have the jersey framed with the back/name showing you wouldnt see GU tagging, so in a case like this a autograph and game used plus year inscription would be my choice.

mad87man
02-09-2011, 12:46 AM
I personally hate autographed gu items. I find it takes away from the item. Does the player wear a jersey with an autograph on the back? Plus if the signature bleeds you can ruin a nice item. The inscription to me means nothing as for the right price ala Arod many players will sign anything game used. Plus as another poster pointed out the item should be obviously gu from its apperance making the inscription redundant.

Yeah i feel the same way as you. I am rather new to collecting but i really don't want an item with an autograph on it if i don't have to. I like just having the item and having it being as close to as it was on the field.

legaleagle92481
02-09-2011, 12:52 AM
It isn't always obvious that a jersey is game used, take for example a pitchers jersey from a player today who wears many different jerseys during a season, but isnt usually involved in plays that would cause wear or stains, especially on the back of the jersey. If you have the jersey framed with the back/name showing you wouldnt see GU tagging, so in a case like this a autograph and game used plus year inscription would be my choice.

Personally, I would never ever ever buy a framed gu jersey without inspecting it. If you do that your opening yourself up to fraud. Even if the jerseys legit it could have imperfections that the frame protects such as a piece missing or yellowing. As far as autographs the autograph or inscription could be forged so buying on that accord youd also have to be well versed in signatures. I don't think its a reliable indicator of authenticity because 1. Half of these guys have no clue what they wore when and 2. For money money of these guys will sign anything.

mlupo
02-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Personally, I would never ever ever buy a framed gu jersey without inspecting it. If you do that your opening yourself up to fraud. Even if the jerseys legit it could have imperfections that the frame protects such as a piece missing or yellowing. As far as autographs the autograph or inscription could be forged so buying on that accord youd also have to be well versed in signatures. I don't think its a reliable indicator of authenticity because 1. Half of these guys have no clue what they wore when and 2. For money money of these guys will sign anything.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't totally clear with my post. I wasn't talking about buying a gu jersey that was framed or even buying one because it is inscribed as gu. My point was that I like it for display, if I frame one of my gu jerseys, it is nice to have a gu inscription to inform others(i.e having friends come over) that it is game used. If you have some friends over you may not walk around and explain what all of your items are to them.

R.Mansfield
02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Yea, I wonder that too. I like other inscriptions like a Rasmus bat I had him write "2009 Rookie Season" and Jack Clark wrote all kinds of stuff on a 87 All Star game bat of his. He really enjoyed seeing it again. Maybe the "game used" by itself is too generic.

That Clark bat sounds awesome, if you are interested in moving it ever, let me know.

Thanks,
Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

shaunharr
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't have a problem with game used inscription. I personally like 'Game Worn" on jerseys more so that 'game used' on bats.

onlyalbert
02-14-2011, 12:47 AM
That Clark bat sounds awesome, if you are interested in moving it ever, let me know.

Thanks,
Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

Russell, I don't have plans on moving it, but if that changes I will let you know first. I keep a log of who requests what from me. The bat came from the personal collection of Chili Davis and has papers. Thanks.