X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

1969 spring trainig flannels

This thread will exhibit photos of slightly variant (from the regular season) 1969 MLB spring training jerseys.

The first post: 1969 Kansas City Royals.

The Tom Burgemeier photo, taken in spring training, shows a totally blank left sleeve...no 100th Annniversary patch (1969 regular season) and no Royals logo patch (beginning in 1970 season).

More to follow...

Dave Miedema
  • Capital-Sports
    • Jan 2009

Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

I was just reading one of your game used articles in an old SCD earlier . A good site with nice scans of cards is checkoutmycards.com if you don't have all the cards on hand or scans.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
      Banned
      • Apr 2009

Capital idea, Capital. If I can't find images on eBay, that'll be my second stop. Thanks.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• escaperoyals
        • Oct 2007

I can probably help as well. Surprisingly, I have all of the Topps Royals Cards from 1969-92. I also have all 41 Media guides (which don't show many pictures if at all) and yearbooks from '69-'80. I have 2 editions of yearbooks from 69 the 1st shows spring training photos mostly with NOpatches on the left sleeve. The later edition shows someaction photos fromearly in the season with the 100 year patch.
        I will try and post some pictures sometime soon if anyone is interested.
        Dan

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

The more the merrier, Dan. Keep in mind, though, that this won't just be a Royals thread...the other three 1969 expansion teams will also be featured, as well as at least one estblished ballclub as well.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

From 1969ST, a Rawlings home Expos flannel...again, no 100th Anniversary patch. The road blue Wilsons were the same way.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

The San Diego Padres also had differences in 1969 spring vis-a-vis regular season jerseys. Preston Gomez is shown in a 1969 spring training photo, with a Padres front road jersey and no sleeve patch on the jersey.

Come the regular season, however, and the road gamers showed a SAN DIEGO front, while both home and road versions had the San Diego Bicentennial patch (and no MLB 100th Anniversary patch).

I had no luck finding pics of either home uniform, but the basic description given covers those, as well.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

Of course, there are the 1969 Seattle Pilots spring training flannels.

While vastly different in design from their regular season styles, the home and road spring shirts have only one difference between home and road versions, that being the jersey color...white for home and grey for road. Wilson made both, both lack tagging aside from the Wilson label, both use the same front design (see above), both have identical numbers on the back, and both use single-color blue letters and numbers on front and back.

My next entry on this thread will involve a unique version worn by a non-expansion team in the Arizona sun.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

One American League team (Cleveland) wore the 1969 MLB 100th Anniversary patch on their spring training jerseys. Showing this is the card below, a last series (back in the days of 7 series) 1969 Topps card of pitcher Jack Hamilton, acquired in the offseason from the Angels.

I am aware of one other 1969 spring item with the 100th Anniversary patch being worn in spring training...that will be the next (and likely final) installment of this thread.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• dbushing1
                    • Feb 2011

Dave, great study of expansion spring training vs reg. season shirts using baseball card images. I used this to try and show the different styles of White Sox hats from 1951-63. It is a perfect tool when patches from a single season are used but I would caution to watch out for baseball card pictures that have been used for more than one season. Not so in your study, just a caution in that they sometimes recycled pics for more than one season. Dave

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dbushing1
                      Dave, great study of expansion spring training vs reg. season shirts using baseball card images. I used this to try and show the different styles of White Sox hats from 1951-63. It is a perfect tool when patches from a single season are used but I would caution to watch out for baseball card pictures that have been used for more than one season. Not so in your study, just a caution in that they sometimes recycled pics for more than one season. Dave
                      True, MAWGA. For the 1969 set, old/recycled photos are VERY common from series 1-4. Tommie Aaron's 1969 card has the exact same photo as his 1963 Topps card, and Mel Nelson's card has an early 1960's photo, as well. These multiple years-old photos are far less prevelant in Series 5-7 (where Topps began using spring training 1969 photos as well as phots of players on the four expansion teams in their new uniforms.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• flaco1801
                        • Nov 2005

Dave...arent those 69 spring flannels all really 68 gamers?. they would open the season with new jerseys for the 69 season with patch.... just my thoughts...

Comment

• dbushing1
                          • Feb 2011

The Pilots, Padres and Expos did not have a team in 1968. I have owned both the Pilots and Padres 1969 Spring Training shirts. They were made and worn in the spring. They got different shirts for the regular 1969 season. Pilots spring training shirts are fairly common and sell in the $1000 range while regular season examples sell between $12-20000. Padres spring jerseys sell in the $400 range while regular season examples with the sleeve patch sell in the $1000 plus range. Dave M was right on the money with these pics.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dbushing1
                            The Pilots, Padres and Expos did not have a team in 1968. I have owned both the Pilots and Padres 1969 Spring Training shirts. They were made and worn in the spring. They got different shirts for the regular 1969 season. Pilots spring training shirts are fairly common and sell in the $1000 range while regular season examples sell between $12-20000. Padres spring jerseys sell in the $400 range while regular season examples with the sleeve patch sell in the $1000 plus range. Dave M was right on the money with these pics.
                            Those three plus the Royals. As far as the Indians flannels go, Flaco might be right...I'd have to see one hands on to say year or nay.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• dirtyla2000
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by sox83cubs84

From 1969ST, a Rawlings home Expos flannel...again, no 100th Anniversary patch. The road blue Wilsons were the same way.

Dave Miedema
                              I believe this to be a 1969 Ron Brand spring training jersey and as you can see, it is not the usual road blue flannel. Any opinions would be welcomed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...