PDA

View Full Version : Some help on bats for a newbie.

Greenbaumer
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

As you've seen by my posts, I'm new to the game used arena. The few game used jerseys I've bought were from JO so I know they are legit. As far as bats go, it seems that most bats do not come with a COA. Most of my life I have been collection autographed memorabilia, and have always been very picky to make sure my items are authentic and the COA are iron clad. It seems that most game used bats do not have any type of COA, what are some give aways to make sure I'm looking at the real deal. I'm assuming that the bigger players have their names engraved/team name. It seems that anyone can write a number on the top or bottom.

Thanks for the help.

spartanservitto
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
You have to know your basics. My advice would be to look at the bat for sale, go back to photos from the season, and see if you can at least style match the item. Its pretty easy with newer bats because they all have date codes.

Secondly, some guys use only a certain type of bat. Like Jeter will always use a black louisville, as does Arod (most of the time), Pujols strictly uses a black marucci today. Sometimes those are giveaways on the legitimacy of an item and can make it easier for you to start.

Thirdly, a lot of players today sell their own items, so if your getting a cano bat, with his sign, inscribed and his COA, thats probably as good as it gets. Other players do it also. Mlb authentication is good because you can enter the number and trace the item to the exact game (or time period) the bat was used. Use sites like www.gettyimages.com, you can possibly photomatch your item to the specific game, given markings on the bat. www.gameusedbats.com, is a great site to get started on your collection. Some items might be expensive, but JT has one of the best reputations in the community.

Lastly, if you have questions, ask members here. Guaranteed someone will have the answer, and you can learn more yourself. Good luck.... its addicting.

-Tony

yankees506
02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
+1

Just want to add since cano was mentioined, his bats almost always come with his hologram on the bat (no coa). As a matter of fact i have never seen a cano loa/coa, just hologram.

spartanservitto
02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Yanks,

Agreed, I am not really sure about robbie bats, ive just seen the holo, but I do not own any.... which is going to change soon. haha

-Tony