PDA

View Full Version : The Life of a Randy Johnson 300th Win Baseball (thx Andrew)

Rob L
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Huge thanks to Andrew Lang for providing me with a new collection focal point. Andrew had indicated to me that he had a baseball from Randy Johnson's 300th Win. Intrigued, I asked if it had actually been thrown by Randy Johnson. Andrew sent the following back:

Hologram number BB942497 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: SF AT WSH - GAME 1
Session Date: June 04, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: RANDY JOHNSON PITCHING TO ALBERTO GONZALEZ, BASE HIT TO SHORT STOP, FIRST
(The play was actually an error, not a base hit)

In addition, Andrew was able to obtain an autograph on the ball.

The ball was used for four pitches in the six inning. Alberto Gonzalez batted three times in the six innings that Randy Johnson pitched. All three times, he grounded to the shortstop. In the sixth inning, Gonzalez was safe at first due to a throwing error from Renteria.

A big thanks to Kyle Hess who helped obtain a video in which the following photos were done. The video can be seen on my website.

Without much more, I present the Life of a Historic Baseball:

The Ball

godwulf
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
And Randy didn't sign it on the MLB panel with a red Sharpie...I'm impressed! :rolleyes:

Rob L
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
And Randy didn't sign it on the MLB panel with a red Sharpie...I'm impressed! :rolleyes:

He must have been in a giving mood!!!!:)

ironmanfan
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
great pickup!..........love the historical significance

Bill

allstarsplus
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Rob - Glad you like the ball! All great things to say about you too! I also like the photo array you put together!!!!!!!

Rob L
02-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Just finished the display set up I wanted for the ball:

sox83cubs84
02-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I've actually seen the Big Unit sign in both Wrigley Field and Miller Park (and gotten him at Wrigley). Fans, though, need to be on their best behavior during these infrequent occasions, as Johnson does not suffer fools. On one occasion in Milwaukee, he signed for a few fans and promptly stopped and headed inside when 2 or 3 morons who were further back in the crowd threw their baseballs to/at Johnson for autographing. The idiots never got their baseballs back, and worse yet, the other fans were kept from getting Randy's autographe due to the stupidity of a few.

Dave Miedema