PDA

View Full Version : GameUsedBat vs MEARS

harpt
02-19-2011, 09:15 PM
My hope is that this thread in no way becomes a smear thread...just basic observations.

2 very different companies. Comparing them is probably an apples to oranges thing, but...

I have known MEARS (or the folks there) for many years, but have done very little business there. Not because I don't trust them or anything like that, but circumstances have not worked out. My opinion is that they are more of a "Big Business" (relative to this hobby), which is fine, though many of their items are just out of my price range.

Ryan at game used bats seems like a good guy. I do not know him well, but I can say that he gave me a great deal on a Ben Oglivie bat when I know he knew he could have gotten more for it. I remember posting about it thanking him back then.

All-in-all, no matter what happens in this ordeal, I hope that many of us remember how many great people there are in this hobby.

SkubeBats
02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree with Scott that there's a lot of good people in this hoby. I wouldn't have half the stuff in my collction if it wasn't for people on here and people I've done buisness with over the years. So don't let one bad deal wreck it for you. This hoby is a great and so are the people. Let's all get along...

treant985
02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I always remember what a friend told me in college about baseball players: they play a children's game, and because of that, a lot of them will always live their lives like children.

I don't want to disparage anyone, but I think some people who collect memorabilia are still stuck in childhood because they collect things from a child's game and will never get out of that mindset. They don't think about what they're doing or what it means for other people, and they say one thing and do another. It's very annoying.

And while most of these people are at least 30 yrs old, most of them will never grow up. Meanwhile you've got some people on this forum who are probably 15 yrs old but who have excellent morals and forethought.

I haven't really read the huge thread about the dispute. Just random thoughts about dealing with people, especially people (like me) who collect what are essentially just expensive toys. We have to find the right folks and don't bother wasting our time with the others.

gameusedbat.com
02-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Scott,

I'm glad that you still remember the Ben Oglive bat! I believe that was the Cleveland, Ohio show a couple years back and it was a walk-in. I like passing on to people a good deal because I grew up hunting for "good" deals on baseball cards, or so I thought, when I was younger.

Thanks for the kind words,

Ryan - Game Used Bat (http://www.gameusedbat.com).com

gingi79
02-20-2011, 12:27 AM
I always remember what a friend told me in college about baseball players: they play a children's game, and because of that, a lot of them will always live their lives like children.

I don't want to disparage anyone, but I think some people who collect memorabilia are still stuck in childhood because they collect things from a child's game and will never get out of that mindset. They don't think about what they're doing or what it means for other people, and they say one thing and do another. It's very annoying.

And while most of these people are at least 30 yrs old, most of them will never grow up. Meanwhile you've got some people on this forum who are probably 15 yrs old but who have excellent morals and forethought.

I haven't really read the huge thread about the dispute. Just random thoughts about dealing with people, especially people (like me) who collect what are essentially just expensive toys. We have to find the right folks and don't bother wasting our time with the others.

The first time I read this quote I was going to post something to the effect of calling all game used collectors spoiled stupid children is just goofy. After re-reading it, I believe you meant that dealers, auction houses, people who sell but aren't invested in the hobby rather than collectors... right?

If that's what you meant, I think this was a great post to keep in mind with the situation at hand. I have almost no dealings with MEARS and since bats aren't my thing, haven't dealt with gameusedbat. As an observer I will say that I was brought up with the mantra "There are are always 3 sides to every story. His story, your story and the truth" I always think of that when these kinds of issues arise and it keeps me from making snap judgments without knowing all of the facts. Just a suggestion.....

However, if Troy can't furnish a contract and can't furnish anything more substantial than the yellow paper Bushing signed, GUB has quite a solid case that would leave Troy and MEARS with a black eye in my eyes at least. I think the other thread shows many are in agreement with me.

That being said, I am hoping that this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction and that we move on to our next regularly scheduled dramatic issue :D

camarokids
02-20-2011, 01:40 AM
I remember Ryan from way back when he was like 14 or so and was too young to drive to the stadium.

At least once my wife & I picked him up & drove him to Tropicana Field when the Devil Rays first started playing.

He would always get bats given to him from players. I have bought quite a few Devil Rays bats from him in the past.

Never a problem.

Troy's explanation that Dave Bushing does not own the business and has no financial stake in the company really doesn't matter. If what Ryan says is true and DB made an arrangement with Ryan then Mears is bound by that agreement.

If all is true what Ryan said then why take out your frustrations on the customer if you are unhappy with a decision that an employee made. You should live with what your employee said and stick with it. Or return the bats and don't auction them!

3arod13
02-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Troy's explanation that Dave Bushing does not own the business and has no financial stake in the company really doesn't matter. If what Ryan says is true and DB made an arrangement with Ryan then Mears is bound by that agreement.

If all is true what Ryan said then why take out your frustrations on the customer if you are unhappy with a decision that an employee made. You should live with what your employee said and stick with it. Or return the bats and don't auction them!

Well said! If I recall, when GUB and DB worked this deal (on a yellow piece of paper), Troy had knowledge of it right away and had plenty of opporunity to ensure those bats didn't make auction. I can see Troy being upset if DB worked out a deal, sold the bats, and then Troy found out later and wasn't happy.

This situation isn't as if a rookie employee made a dumb mistake. DB has been around a long time, and both Troy and DB know how things work.

I really feel bat for GUB.

Lokee
02-20-2011, 12:15 PM
In my opinion unless you actually SAW the yellow paper there would be no way to know it was yellow as the picture Ryan posted looks like a normal white piece of paper.

3arod13
02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
In my opinion unless you actually SAW the yellow paper there would be no way to know it was yellow as the picture Ryan posted looks like a normal white piece of paper.

:D

(http://cgi.ebay.com/JIM-BROWN-Cleveland-Browns-SIGNED-16x20-Rookie-Photo-/260736193887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb516955f)

Lokee
02-20-2011, 04:30 PM
:d

jppopma
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
What ever happened to the days when you could make a deal over a handshake? A signed sheet of paper would be some added security, but I am afraid to see what is next.

I've never seen Mear's consignment contract, but am curious as to just how detailed it is and how much "attorney speak" is involved. I know Mear's need to protect themselves, but it burns me to see this turn too much toward business than hobby (There should be both, but I prefer the hobby side for the enjoyment factor).

Best of luck to both in getting this resolved smoothly.

Bravesfan
02-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Those who let greed get in the way of the truth will soon find themselves exposed for what they are.
Their sins will be shouted from the rooftops.

Lokee
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Those who let greed get in the way of the truth will soon find themselves exposed for what they are.
Their sins will be shouted from the rooftops.

To quote Dave Hester from Storage Wars "Yuuuuuup"

treant985
02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
The first time I read this quote I was going to post something to the effect of calling all game used collectors spoiled stupid children is just goofy. After re-reading it, I believe you meant that dealers, auction houses, people who sell but aren't invested in the hobby rather than collectors... right?

I guess that's one way to put it. They don't necessarily have to be dealers or auction houses, though---just people who don't consider others. We should find and promote the people/businesses that always put friendship and thoughtfulness first, rather than those who always have to be 'right,' or who are selfish or careless.

I can't imagine all these people on the collectors-to-collectors page who say they'll buy something, then back out. I feel like you better have a really good reason to waste someone's time like that.

Like you said, you always think carefully before any deal. But a lot of people don't. And I think that dealing with things that remind of us something so 'cool' and memorable as baseball items only makes people even more likely to act without thinking.

Enough complaining for me. ;)