Kobe Rookie Uniform - I refuse to believe it!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmonte4
    • Feb 2006

Kobe Rookie Uniform - I refuse to believe it!

I refuse to believe a Kobe Rookie uniform sold on ebay for $26,000. If this went to auction, there is no way it gets more than $10k.

• wchu9437
    • Sep 2008

Re: Kobe Rookie Uniform - I refuse to believe it!

Wow, $26k? Unbelievable, if it is true. I would hate to be the person who'd have to pay that fee on ebay... on top of paypal's fees.

Comment

• wchu9437
      • Sep 2008

There's another one now just listed... for $20k.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Kobe Bryant Lakers Game Used Worn Rookie Jersey Uniform at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• otismalibu
        • Nov 2005

Is the seller, GUF member DConLA?

Greg
        DrJStuff.com

Comment

• mbenga28
          • Nov 2008

well we're still riding off his MVP All Star performance so it doesn't surprise me prices are higher than normal.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
            Banned
            • Oct 2009

I am not a basketball guy so I am not commenting on the authenticity of the item. However, I have seen jerseys from this year on NBA Auctions go for over 10k. These are regular season jerseys from a nonextraordinary year in Kobe's career. He is unlikely to be MVP or anything. Finals uniforms sell north of 20k. He has been to the Finals seven times and has worn who knows how many jerseys therein. Those are far from rare. Rookie jerseys are much rarer. They did not wear as many back then and companies like Meigray were not auctioning them so who knows where most ended up. Plus it was one of the first jerseys he wore in a top ten ever career. Unless Lebron starts winning rings Kobe is the player of this era love him or hate him. That price is not that crazy. And the Ebay fee is $50 I believe as Ebay has a maximum fee once you start to hit the big numbers. They don't take 15-20% like an auction house would.

Comment

• mad87man
              • Feb 2011

for 5 grand more you could of had the warm up gear too. Sounds like the better deal to me lol.

Comment

• mmonte4
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                I am not a basketball guy so I am not commenting on the authenticity of the item. However, I have seen jerseys from this year on NBA Auctions go for over 10k. These are regular season jerseys from a nonextraordinary year in Kobe's career. He is unlikely to be MVP or anything. Finals uniforms sell north of 20k. He has been to the Finals seven times and has worn who knows how many jerseys therein. Those are far from rare. Rookie jerseys are much rarer. They did not wear as many back then and companies like Meigray were not auctioning them so who knows where most ended up. Plus it was one of the first jerseys he wore in a top ten ever career. Unless Lebron starts winning rings Kobe is the player of this era love him or hate him. That price is not that crazy. And the Ebay fee is $50 I believe as Ebay has a maximum fee once you start to hit the big numbers. They don't take 15-20% like an auction house would.

You cannot compare this to Meigray auctions taking place on nba.com - they are in a league of their own. A game worn MJ rookie jersey went for 15k a year or so ago on GFC, so you're going to tell me a kobe rookie goes for $26k through ebay....no way. Dan has had this jersey listed well over a year on ebay and no one has bit because the price is no where near market value. Its so rare that he has immediately listed another one for $20k....haha. Insane. Run the listing auction style without shill bids, and I bet my life it doesn't go for over 10k.

Pure speculation, but is the $26k "sale" being used to drive up the perceived market value on his second offering?

Comment

• sportscentury
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mmonte4
                  You cannot compare this to Meigray auctions taking place on nba.com - they are in a league of their own. A game worn MJ rookie jersey went for 15k a year or so ago on GFC, so you're going to tell me a kobe rookie goes for $26k through ebay....no way. Dan has had this jersey listed well over a year on ebay and no one has bit because the price is no where near market value. Its so rare that he has immediately listed another one for $20k....haha. Insane. Run the listing auction style without shill bids, and I bet my life it doesn't go for over 10k.

Pure speculation, but is the $26k "sale" being used to drive up the perceived market value on his second offering?
                  +1
                  Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• nickacs
                    • Apr 2009

Agreed... I know Dan is "the man" when it comes to Lakers stuff, but $20k or $26k for a Kobe jersey with no documentation is downright crazy. Hells, I guess if you have the cash like Meigray's favorite auction winner JTNbafan, why not..

Comment

• mmonte4
                      • Feb 2006

based on the current market value of $20-26k....this is an absolute steal!

Comment

• kudu
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                        It looks like the auction was a Buy It Now/Best Offer, so the Final Value Fee would be (according to Ebay website) " 12.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the next $50.01 - $1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining final sale price balance ($1,000.01 - final sale price)".

The $50 max is for Auction Style Listings.

Comment

• sportscentury
                          • Nov 2005

I received a number of emails from GUU member Mick Wong about this thread. He states that he owns these Kobe "rookie jerseys" but that he can't explain his situation on GUU because he is unable to post here. I am confused by this, though, since he is registered with GUU under two different userids (mickeymbz and mickeykobe). Anyway, if you know Mick and want to talk to him about the jerseys, you can contact him. I'm not all that interested in playing messanger (especially since it is unclear as to why he can't post here directly).
                          Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• mmonte4
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by sportscentury
                            I received a number of emails from GUU member Mick Wong about this thread. He states that he owns these Kobe "rookie jerseys" but that he can't explain his situation on GUU because he is unable to post here. I am confused by this, though, since he is registered with GUU under two different userids (mickeymbz and mickeykobe). Anyway, if you know Mick and want to talk to him about the jerseys, you can contact him. I'm not all that interested in playing messanger (especially since it is unclear as to why he can't post here directly).

i'd love to hear it. what's his email?

Comment

• mickeymbz
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

hello all, my name is mick i am the buyer of this 26k kobe rookie..i bought this from dc sports dan...he even flew up here to portland oregon to deliver it. i have been unable to post for several days until i was given clearence..and i sat here in frustration reading all these posts about overpaying for this jersey..and that it was a bogus sale so dan can increase the value of kobe rooks. first of all i have been a collector of laker gamers since 1990 ..i think by know i know my stuff..what i feel for the piece is more important than any documentation,,i spoke to stu at meigray and he says the chance of photomatching this jersey this old is 50/50.ive done my own research and found the game it was used in. why are so many in the hobby so snobbish as to deem themselves experts in guaging what a gamer is worth??? i will pay any amount to obtain a piece that i find valuable...i think JTNbafan feels the same as i..he pays that amount cuz he knows what he is getting..then the notion that the paragon auction piece is only generating 2k at most.. veteran laker/kobe collectors are staying away from that piece...the NOB is so far off its not even funny.the NOB is totally an inaccurate representation of game used lakers uni's from the champion era.laker NOB in that era were all handcut block lettering.i will post pics of what i mean for you to compare.next,the piece dan now is offering for 20k is mine,....he is consigning that piece so i can recoup some of what i paid for his.someone ask,,where are these rookies coming from?? from me! this is my 4th complete rook gamer. i feel people have taken this thing overboard and fielding ridiculous accusations about dan trying to drive the market up for kobe rookie uni's .

Comment

Working...