PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Rookie Uniform - I refuse to believe it!

mmonte4
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I refuse to believe a Kobe Rookie uniform sold on ebay for $26,000. If this went to auction, there is no way it gets more than $10k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kobe-Bryant-Lakers-Game-Used-Worn-Rookie-Jersey-Uniform-/300487461986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f672cc62#ht_750wt_907

wchu9437
02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow, $26k? Unbelievable, if it is true. I would hate to be the person who'd have to pay that fee on ebay... on top of paypal's fees.

wchu9437
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
There's another one now just listed... for $20k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300528435495&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_820wt_825

otismalibu
02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Is the seller, GUF member DConLA?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7671&page=17&highlight=kobe+bryant

mbenga28
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
well we're still riding off his MVP All Star performance so it doesn't surprise me prices are higher than normal.

legaleagle92481
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I am not a basketball guy so I am not commenting on the authenticity of the item. However, I have seen jerseys from this year on NBA Auctions go for over 10k. These are regular season jerseys from a nonextraordinary year in Kobe's career. He is unlikely to be MVP or anything. Finals uniforms sell north of 20k. He has been to the Finals seven times and has worn who knows how many jerseys therein. Those are far from rare. Rookie jerseys are much rarer. They did not wear as many back then and companies like Meigray were not auctioning them so who knows where most ended up. Plus it was one of the first jerseys he wore in a top ten ever career. Unless Lebron starts winning rings Kobe is the player of this era love him or hate him. That price is not that crazy. And the Ebay fee is $50 I believe as Ebay has a maximum fee once you start to hit the big numbers. They don't take 15-20% like an auction house would.

mad87man
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
for 5 grand more you could of had the warm up gear too. Sounds like the better deal to me lol.

mmonte4
02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I am not a basketball guy so I am not commenting on the authenticity of the item. However, I have seen jerseys from this year on NBA Auctions go for over 10k. These are regular season jerseys from a nonextraordinary year in Kobe's career. He is unlikely to be MVP or anything. Finals uniforms sell north of 20k. He has been to the Finals seven times and has worn who knows how many jerseys therein. Those are far from rare. Rookie jerseys are much rarer. They did not wear as many back then and companies like Meigray were not auctioning them so who knows where most ended up. Plus it was one of the first jerseys he wore in a top ten ever career. Unless Lebron starts winning rings Kobe is the player of this era love him or hate him. That price is not that crazy. And the Ebay fee is $50 I believe as Ebay has a maximum fee once you start to hit the big numbers. They don't take 15-20% like an auction house would.

You cannot compare this to Meigray auctions taking place on nba.com - they are in a league of their own. A game worn MJ rookie jersey went for 15k a year or so ago on GFC, so you're going to tell me a kobe rookie goes for $26k through ebay....no way. Dan has had this jersey listed well over a year on ebay and no one has bit because the price is no where near market value. Its so rare that he has immediately listed another one for $20k....haha. Insane. Run the listing auction style without shill bids, and I bet my life it doesn't go for over 10k.

Pure speculation, but is the $26k "sale" being used to drive up the perceived market value on his second offering?

sportscentury
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
You cannot compare this to Meigray auctions taking place on nba.com - they are in a league of their own. A game worn MJ rookie jersey went for 15k a year or so ago on GFC, so you're going to tell me a kobe rookie goes for $26k through ebay....no way. Dan has had this jersey listed well over a year on ebay and no one has bit because the price is no where near market value. Its so rare that he has immediately listed another one for $20k....haha. Insane. Run the listing auction style without shill bids, and I bet my life it doesn't go for over 10k.

Pure speculation, but is the $26k "sale" being used to drive up the perceived market value on his second offering?

+1

nickacs
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Agreed... I know Dan is "the man" when it comes to Lakers stuff, but $20k or $26k for a Kobe jersey with no documentation is downright crazy. Hells, I guess if you have the cash like Meigray's favorite auction winner JTNbafan, why not..

mmonte4
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
based on the current market value of $20-26k....this is an absolute steal!

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=20&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=16

kudu
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM

It looks like the auction was a Buy It Now/Best Offer, so the Final Value Fee would be (according to Ebay website) " 12.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the next $50.01 - $1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining final sale price balance ($1,000.01 - final sale price)".

The $50 max is for Auction Style Listings.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

sportscentury
02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I received a number of emails from GUU member Mick Wong about this thread. He states that he owns these Kobe "rookie jerseys" but that he can't explain his situation on GUU because he is unable to post here. I am confused by this, though, since he is registered with GUU under two different userids (mickeymbz and mickeykobe). Anyway, if you know Mick and want to talk to him about the jerseys, you can contact him. I'm not all that interested in playing messanger (especially since it is unclear as to why he can't post here directly).

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
I received a number of emails from GUU member Mick Wong about this thread. He states that he owns these Kobe "rookie jerseys" but that he can't explain his situation on GUU because he is unable to post here. I am confused by this, though, since he is registered with GUU under two different userids (mickeymbz and mickeykobe). Anyway, if you know Mick and want to talk to him about the jerseys, you can contact him. I'm not all that interested in playing messanger (especially since it is unclear as to why he can't post here directly).

i'd love to hear it. what's his email?

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
hello all, my name is mick i am the buyer of this 26k kobe rookie..i bought this from dc sports dan...he even flew up here to portland oregon to deliver it. i have been unable to post for several days until i was given clearence..and i sat here in frustration reading all these posts about overpaying for this jersey..and that it was a bogus sale so dan can increase the value of kobe rooks. first of all i have been a collector of laker gamers since 1990 ..i think by know i know my stuff..what i feel for the piece is more important than any documentation,,i spoke to stu at meigray and he says the chance of photomatching this jersey this old is 50/50.ive done my own research and found the game it was used in. why are so many in the hobby so snobbish as to deem themselves experts in guaging what a gamer is worth??? i will pay any amount to obtain a piece that i find valuable...i think JTNbafan feels the same as i..he pays that amount cuz he knows what he is getting..then the notion that the paragon auction piece is only generating 2k at most.. veteran laker/kobe collectors are staying away from that piece...the NOB is so far off its not even funny.the NOB is totally an inaccurate representation of game used lakers uni's from the champion era.laker NOB in that era were all handcut block lettering.i will post pics of what i mean for you to compare.next,the piece dan now is offering for 20k is mine,....he is consigning that piece so i can recoup some of what i paid for his.someone ask,,where are these rookies coming from?? from me! this is my 4th complete rook gamer. i feel people have taken this thing overboard and fielding ridiculous accusations about dan trying to drive the market up for kobe rookie uni's .

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
here are some rooks

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
So how exactly did this deal go down?

Did you give him $6k cash and your uniform?

Or did you give him $26k (insane) and he agreed to list your jersey on ebay?

Kabron1971
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah I've been discussing this with Mick for weeks before he bought this jersey to Dan. He even sent me pics of the said Kobe Rookie Game set....the moment he got it from Dan.:)

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 06:46 PM
you guys can compare the 2 home NOB to the paragon road NOB....see if you can see the difference

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
You're comparing a home jersey to a road jersey. It is possible the lettering was different?

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
here are common players...you can compare the NOB's to the paragon kobe rook.....night and day

Kabron1971
02-24-2011, 07:12 PM
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/lakermaniac1971/Los%20Angeles%20Lakers%20Gamers/DSC00851.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/lakermaniac1971/Los%20Angeles%20Lakers%20Gamers/DSC00857.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/lakermaniac1971/Los%20Angeles%20Lakers%20Gamers/DSC00848.jpg

Kabron1971
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I mean I sent pics of my Horry gamer. Please observe the letter "R" font from the Paragon auction is completely different...

mbenga28
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
i'd like to see photo matches for your jerseys.

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok, ok so the the Paragon Kobe is likely no good. What game is your Kobe uniform photomatched to?

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
hey im not an expert on this,,,but i take the jersey and measure the exact spacing vertical and perpendicular to each letter,,,and then measure the photo or video still scaled down...its not exact science but the measurements add up....good nuff for me,,,not here to argue with you.
game 3 vs jazz 5/8/97 ... or i could pay 500 to meigray for something i know.... its not an investment,,its a hobby

you say the price is insane... is the walton in last GFC auction of 80k insane. again who is one to deem what is sane and insane in a unscientificx hobby....and thats what it is a hobby

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm not buying it. It was listed on ebay forever and it generated no interest. He was also accepting "best offers" for a LONG TIME. I know for a fact he would have taken $15k. Later, it was listed auction style with a reserve and it didn't go over $10k (market value). Yet you pay an insane full asking price of $26k based upon a pseudo-photomatch?

sportscentury
02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
hello all, my name is mick i am the buyer of this 26k kobe rookie..i bought this from dc sports dan...he even flew up here to portland oregon to deliver it. i have been unable to post for several days until i was given clearence..and i sat here in frustration reading all these posts about overpaying for this jersey..and that it was a bogus sale so dan can increase the value of kobe rooks. first of all i have been a collector of laker gamers since 1990 ..i think by know i know my stuff..what i feel for the piece is more important than any documentation,,i spoke to stu at meigray and he says the chance of photomatching this jersey this old is 50/50.ive done my own research and found the game it was used in. why are so many in the hobby so snobbish as to deem themselves experts in guaging what a gamer is worth??? i will pay any amount to obtain a piece that i find valuable...i think JTNbafan feels the same as i..he pays that amount cuz he knows what he is getting..then the notion that the paragon auction piece is only generating 2k at most.. veteran laker/kobe collectors are staying away from that piece...the NOB is so far off its not even funny.the NOB is totally an inaccurate representation of game used lakers uni's from the champion era.laker NOB in that era were all handcut block lettering.i will post pics of what i mean for you to compare.next,the piece dan now is offering for 20k is mine,....he is consigning that piece so i can recoup some of what i paid for his.someone ask,,where are these rookies coming from?? from me! this is my 4th complete rook gamer. i feel people have taken this thing overboard and fielding ridiculous accusations about dan trying to drive the market up for kobe rookie uni's .

LOL. Glad to see that at least one of your two GUU userids is (suddenly) working so that you can post here.

sportscentury
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not buying it. It was listed on ebay forever and it generated no interest. He was also accepting "best offers" for a LONG TIME. I know for a fact he would have taken $15k. Later, it was listed auction style with a reserve and it didn't go over $10k (market value). Yet you pay an insane full asking price of $26k based upon a pseudo-photomatch?

I agree completely. Nothing about this story is believable.

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
based on the current market value of $20-26k....this is an absolute steal!

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=20&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=16

this is the funniest part of this jersey...the #8 IS written in blue,,and it looks fresh and it is written on the size tag,,,never seen that before and ive seen many...

mmonte4
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM

care to address?

And don't bring up the Walton jersey. That was truly 1 of a kind and went for market price (auction). This would be like you offering $150k for the Walton.

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
care to address?

And don't bring up the Walton jersey. That was truly 1 of a kind and went for market price (auction). This would be like you offering $150k for the Walton.

whatever dude...you and your holier than thou attitude.... try being more humble..... game worn snobbery

mickeymbz
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
care to address?

oh yeah then why wouldnt he accept my offer of 20k a year ago... why wouldnt he take 24k from member kabron 1971?

mmonte4
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Am I the only one that's VERY skeptical of Kabron1971 and Mickeymbz?

sportscentury
02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Am I the only one that's VERY skeptical of Kabron1971 and Mickeymbz?

Re-read the thread and you'll have your answer. It's pretty transparent what is going on here with these jerseys.

nickacs
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
My 2cents is the post about the Paragon jersey vs. real one, the Paragon one has incorrect NOB lettering style/size.

The 'Y' and 'A' are totally wrong:
- The real jersey pics show a more slender/skinner 'Y', while Paragon's has a fatter one and a lot more space between the 'R' to 'Y' vs. Getty's.
- Likewise, the real jersey pics also show a more skinnier 'A' and almost comes to a point (almost), but, but the Paragon has the 'A' with a more square line at the top of it.

Paragon:
http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotImages/3/21a_lg.jpeg

Getty pics from May 1997 season:
Editorial image #: 51643469
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/51643469.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=FE1CE9934D1C2A8CC4DEB13B6C8C8E99E1357EDBCA61BD1E 6D037D02564E3CF6

Editorial image #: 52488226
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/52488226.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=133BFC9465023B04E93FE30011F7557200C5051924C138A1 ADBC0D0A15566B8D

mickeymbz
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Re-read the thread and you'll have your answer. It's pretty transparent what is going on here with these jerseys.

so whats "obvious" going on here with these jerseys? what are you seeing thru these transparencies. im just addressing the whats and whys of these rooks....addressing the fact you "senior" members have all the answers,,what is laughable you "experts" were taken in by the paragon knock off..YOU are the ones that were stating that piece is market value...when in actuality it wasnt even real....obviously not real! ive known dan and that rookie since he got it in 96/97,,and i know of the purple rook he got for his friend in the same year...both of them would not let either go for 10k back in 2002. dan doesnt collect anything...but that was the only thing he ever kept...and wary of ever giving up. i dont mind paying high prices for pieces that actually were part of reputable persons collection.

mickeymbz
02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
You're comparing a home jersey to a road jersey. It is possible the lettering was different?

again,im no expert...but tell me ANY team in any major league sports where lettering is different from home and road. maybe there is ,maybe there isnt. but definetly lakers stuff never varied tween home and road!any laker collector would know that.

the condescending attitude in these forums from people who have been here for years vs people just trying to associate with others in the hobby is ridiculous... there are people i know that have seriously sick collections that dont even have 1 iota of uppity tude as you see here...

sportscentury
02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
so whats "obvious" going on here with these jerseys? what are you seeing thru these transparencies. im just addressing the whats and whys of these rooks....addressing the fact you "senior" members have all the answers,,what is laughable you "experts" were taken in by the paragon knock off..YOU are the ones that were stating that piece is market value...when in actuality it wasnt even real....obviously not real! ive known dan and that rookie since he got it in 96/97,,and i know of the purple rook he got for his friend in the same year...both of them would not let either go for 10k back in 2002. dan doesnt collect anything...but that was the only thing he ever kept...and wary of ever giving up. i dont mind paying high prices for pieces that actually were part of reputable persons collection.

Do not quote me and then proceed to make false claims about me. Receiving unsolicited rambling emails from you in which you stated you could not post here (even though you are registered with two different userids and most clearly can post here) was bad enough. I've never made a single statement about the Paragon jersey. You have no clue whatsoever as to my knowledge of Lakers jerseys, Lakers equipment, or basketball game worn items in general. I do not believe that the jersey sold for $26,000, for many of the reasons already articulated in this thread, plus others. The way you have responded to this situation has not exactly helped your case. Either way, good luck with your various Kobe rookie jerseys.

mmonte4
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM

I have serious doubt about whether Dan actually got that jersey in 96-97 and if it was actually game worn and not an extra. Dan listed this jersey several years ago, and the listing included a pair of game worn and signed rookie shoes. Here's the problem - the shoes were not even Kobe's rookie sneakers, they were the Adidas Crazy 8s. I believe he wore these his 2nd year in the league. So eventually Dan backtracked and pulled the shoes from the listing. Keep in mind the shoes had the EXACT same signature as the jersey...as if Kobe signed both items at once. Is that even a rookie signature on your jersey is another topic all together.

mickeymbz
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I have serious doubt about whether Dan actually got that jersey in 96-97 and if it was actually game worn and not an extra. Dan listed this jersey several years ago, and the listing included a pair of game worn and signed rookie shoes. Here's the problem - the shoes were not even Kobe's rookie sneakers, they were the Adidas Crazy 8s. I believe he wore these his 2nd year in the league. So eventually Dan backtracked and pulled the shoes from the listing. Keep in mind the shoes had the EXACT same signature as the jersey...as if Kobe signed both items at once. Is that even a rookie signature on your jersey is another topic all together.

so now the discussion has turned from whether the uni was bought for the said amount to whether this is even a legit used piece? i usually dont care bout auto's and would prefer to not have them...and could really care less bout when it was signed....why dont you go on board then and say dan does indeed sell non-used stuff that he claims is game used. ive known dan since the early 90's known all his partners since then,,and that piece he owned in 97 and he would not let go..its one thing to deem something overpaid and something not legit..whatever

mickeymbz
02-25-2011, 08:28 PM
He has had since 97. It was part of his " I'm gonna die with this piece" of his holdings. Get your GFC letter and tell the morons on the web to f themselves.

In a message dated 2/25/2011 3:36:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, mickeymbz@covad.net writes:

doug,,,,how long did dan own that kobe rook that i got from him? i know he had since 97..tell me if im wrong. some ------rs on the net are saying its bogus and it was just an extra. please let me know
mike

This comes from the dude who consigned at the hall of fame GFC auction...his was the specific collection that had the wilt,russel,etc,etc