PDA

View Full Version : This ain't kosher

sox83cubs84
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Howard Wolf saw this on eBay, and sent it along to me, with his observation, which I am in agreement with.

The jersey:

http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!CFg5W-wCWk~$(KGrHqV,!hUE0fBqcsWCBNVWyTRpCQ~~_12.JPG

The jersey:

Advertised (inaccurately) as a game-worn Lou Piniella manager's jersey

The problem:

How does an MLB gamer have a Russell logo on the sleeve, and an AIS tag in the tail?

The answer:

It ain't kosher!

Dave Miedema

trsent
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Howard Wolf saw this on eBay, and sent it along to me, with his observation, which I am in agreement with.

The jersey:

Advertised (inaccurately) as a game-worn Lou Piniella manager's jersey

The problem:

How does an MLB gamer have a Russell logo on the sleeve, and an AIS tag in the tail?

The answer:

It ain't kosher!

Dave Miedema

So, none of these logos are found on the jersey?

camarokids
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
So, none of these logos are found on the jersey?

I don't understand please be specific. I am trying learn more about jerseys.

gingi79
02-24-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't understand please be specific. I am trying learn more about jerseys.

Dave, I'm betting you are kidding but those symbols are all used by food manufacturers to signify their food has passed rabbinical spervision and is Kosher. Joel was being clever.

camarokids
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Dave, I'm betting you are kidding but those symbols are all used by food manufacturers to signify their food has passed rabbinical spervision and is Kosher. Joel was being clever.

No I was being serious. I did not know what those were :o.

Damn I feel dumb.....

cigarman44
02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
No I was being serious. I did not know what those were :o.

Damn I feel dumb.....

I had no idea what they were either. I was thinking minor league patches :D

TNTtoys
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Dave/Howard,

AIS (aka SportsRobe) is the premier manufacturer of jerseys/uniforms to be worn in motion pictures. I have a jersey that is very similar to this one you have referenced -- it is also a gray Seattle Mariners jersey with the AIS tagging -- mine however also comes with a letter of authenticity stating that it was worn in the 1994 film "Little Big League" -- by Ken Griffey Jr. I can check my jersey later tonight to see if it also has a "Russell" patch on the sleeve. I am speculating that because Russell was the official supplier of MLB uniforms, there was a clause in the contract that any jersey featuring a MLB logo at the time must also have a Russell logo on it? (this part is just my guess)

Nick

LastingsMilledge85
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
That's the Little Big League jersey. I was considering the Griffey one on eBay, but passed and it was identical to the one pictured.

TNTtoys
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
And here is a link to the full cast of the movie "Little Big League" -- which includes Lou Piniella...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800211562/cast

MarinersFan34
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
If I recall Junior and Randy Johnson opted to wear their own gamers for the movie as they both have the traditional all blue RA sleeve logo.

TNTtoys
02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Something else "ain't kosher" (as the title says)...

1. The SportsRobe LOA no longer accompanies the item. Guessing that the ebay buyer attempted to pass this off as a game used jersey and ditched the letter.

2. The SportsRobe jerseys are about TWICE THE WEIGHT of a normal baseball jersey. How would an experienced memorabilia dealer not be able to tell the difference between this jersey and a true gamer?

That all said, I have no idea how many times this item changed hands between the original ebay purchase and now.

LastingsMilledge85
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
If I recall Junior and Randy Johnson opted to wear their own gamers for the movie as they both have the traditional all blue RA sleeve logo.

So you are saying that the Griffey jersey that jerseys2003 was selling was not movie used? His had an accompanying COA.

MarinersFan34
02-25-2011, 05:13 AM
I don't recall the one that jerseys2003 had on eBay but a COA doesn't make the jersey movie worn.

I just watched the part of the movie that included the Mariners and Griffey and Randy both had the blue R sleeve logo. I think even Dave Magadan did as well but there didn't seem to be any real clear shots of his arm with the logo.

The other non mlb Mariners players had the blue/red R logo on their sleeves.

Lou wore a jacket the whole time but one can make their own decision as to what he might have chosen, considering the other 3 wore their own personal gear for the movie.

LastingsMilledge85
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not saying a COA makes it movie worn or anything, just trying to figure out what's up. If that was the real jersey, then the buyer got a good deal on it.

TNTtoys
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm not saying a COA makes it movie worn or anything, just trying to figure out what's up. If that was the real jersey, then the buyer got a good deal on it.

Definitely makes for an odd discussion. I was informed that AIS made 3 jerseys for Griffey to be worn in the movie. So... that said, the question "is that the jersey" may always loom, because you don't know if we wore all 3 during the movie, 1 of the 3, or as Jeremy suggests, none of the 3.

Without exaggeration, I saw 2 of these jerseys within a couple of months of each other. I know that they were not the same exact jersey because the gray material on one was a fair bit faded as compared to the other.

Jeremy -- where did you hear the information that he wore his own gear? It does sound like this is correct if the movie doesn't show the blue & red "R" that's on the AIS jersey.

MarinersFan34
02-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I have no solid evidence they wore their own team issued jerseys but it seems odd that in every shot, he's wearing a jersey with the solid blue R on it.

In one shot of Randy they show his cleats which were well worn and had his #51 marked in sharpie on the side in the white nike swoosh. Which style match to cleats he wore in 1993. This also makes sense since they would film in 1993 and none of the jerseys carried the 1994 MLB anniv. patch even though the movie was released in 1994.

So again, I have no proof or hard evidence that Griffey never wore any of the 3 movie issued jerseys, however when you watch the movie, none of the Mariners actual players have the blue/red R logo.

jppopma
02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Just goes to show, they do some screwy things with the movie/tv worn jerseys and other items.

On the positive side, who would go through so much effort to fake this as a movie worn jersey by placing the R on the arm? There are far fewer AIS Mariners jerseys out there than Russell. Add to the possibility that this jersey is "something", albeit not a game worn jersey.

TNTtoys
02-25-2011, 11:58 PM
On the positive side, who would go through so much effort to fake this as a movie worn jersey by placing the R on the arm? There are far fewer AIS Mariners jerseys out there than Russell.

I am not sure you got the point of the "R" on the arm. Whereas the 1993 road gamers worn by the Mariners had a blue R, the AIS-made movie jersey had a 2-color blue and red "R".

I would be surprised if there were any AIS-made Mariners jerseys out there at all, as AIS never manufactured any jerseys for them. The only thing close would be these made-for-screen uniforms... but believe me, there is NO mistaking them for gamers or any of their lighter weight retail counterparts. If you held one of these, you would know why. They are about twice the weight and thickness of an ordinary jersey. You will never come across something of this structure worn on field. Hence, my astonishment that a veteran ebay seller would even think the Piniella is a gamer.