X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

This ain't kosher

Howard Wolf saw this on eBay, and sent it along to me, with his observation, which I am in agreement with.

The jersey:

The jersey:

Advertised (inaccurately) as a game-worn Lou Piniella manager's jersey

The problem:

How does an MLB gamer have a Russell logo on the sleeve, and an AIS tag in the tail?

The answer:

It ain't kosher!

Dave Miedema
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: This ain't kosher

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
    Howard Wolf saw this on eBay, and sent it along to me, with his observation, which I am in agreement with.

The jersey:

Advertised (inaccurately) as a game-worn Lou Piniella manager's jersey

The problem:

How does an MLB gamer have a Russell logo on the sleeve, and an AIS tag in the tail?

The answer:

It ain't kosher!

Dave Miedema
    So, none of these logos are found on the jersey?

Click image for larger version

Name:	kashrut.gif
Views:	1
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	668394

Comment

• camarokids
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by trsent
      So, none of these logos are found on the jersey?

[ATTACH]47741[/ATTACH]
      I don't understand please be specific. I am trying learn more about jerseys.
      Thank you,
      David

This is my email address here!
      dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• gingi79
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by camarokids
        I don't understand please be specific. I am trying learn more about jerseys.
        Dave, I'm betting you are kidding but those symbols are all used by food manufacturers to signify their food has passed rabbinical spervision and is Kosher. Joel was being clever.
        Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• camarokids
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by gingi79
          Dave, I'm betting you are kidding but those symbols are all used by food manufacturers to signify their food has passed rabbinical spervision and is Kosher. Joel was being clever.
          No I was being serious. I did not know what those were .

Damn I feel dumb.....
          Thank you,
          David

This is my email address here!
          dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• cigarman44
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by camarokids
            No I was being serious. I did not know what those were .

Damn I feel dumb.....

I had no idea what they were either. I was thinking minor league patches

Comment

• TNTtoys
              • Aug 2006

Dave/Howard,

AIS (aka SportsRobe) is the premier manufacturer of jerseys/uniforms to be worn in motion pictures. I have a jersey that is very similar to this one you have referenced -- it is also a gray Seattle Mariners jersey with the AIS tagging -- mine however also comes with a letter of authenticity stating that it was worn in the 1994 film "Little Big League" -- by Ken Griffey Jr. I can check my jersey later tonight to see if it also has a "Russell" patch on the sleeve. I am speculating that because Russell was the official supplier of MLB uniforms, there was a clause in the contract that any jersey featuring a MLB logo at the time must also have a Russell logo on it? (this part is just my guess)

Nick
              Looking for ...
              Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
              Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
              Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                • May 2009

That's the Little Big League jersey. I was considering the Griffey one on eBay, but passed and it was identical to the one pictured.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                  • Aug 2006

And here is a link to the full cast of the movie "Little Big League" -- which includes Lou Piniella...

Looking for ...

Comment

• MarinersFan34
                    • Jan 2009

If I recall Junior and Randy Johnson opted to wear their own gamers for the movie as they both have the traditional all blue RA sleeve logo.
                    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• TNTtoys
                      • Aug 2006

Something else "ain't kosher" (as the title says)...

1. The SportsRobe LOA no longer accompanies the item. Guessing that the ebay buyer attempted to pass this off as a game used jersey and ditched the letter.

2. The SportsRobe jerseys are about TWICE THE WEIGHT of a normal baseball jersey. How would an experienced memorabilia dealer not be able to tell the difference between this jersey and a true gamer?

That all said, I have no idea how many times this item changed hands between the original ebay purchase and now.
                      Looking for ...

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by MarinersFan34
                        If I recall Junior and Randy Johnson opted to wear their own gamers for the movie as they both have the traditional all blue RA sleeve logo.
                        So you are saying that the Griffey jersey that jerseys2003 was selling was not movie used? His had an accompanying COA.

Comment

• MarinersFan34
                          • Jan 2009

I don't recall the one that jerseys2003 had on eBay but a COA doesn't make the jersey movie worn.

I just watched the part of the movie that included the Mariners and Griffey and Randy both had the blue R sleeve logo. I think even Dave Magadan did as well but there didn't seem to be any real clear shots of his arm with the logo.

The other non mlb Mariners players had the blue/red R logo on their sleeves.

Lou wore a jacket the whole time but one can make their own decision as to what he might have chosen, considering the other 3 wore their own personal gear for the movie.
                          Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                            • May 2009

I'm not saying a COA makes it movie worn or anything, just trying to figure out what's up. If that was the real jersey, then the buyer got a good deal on it.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
                              I'm not saying a COA makes it movie worn or anything, just trying to figure out what's up. If that was the real jersey, then the buyer got a good deal on it.
                              Definitely makes for an odd discussion. I was informed that AIS made 3 jerseys for Griffey to be worn in the movie. So... that said, the question "is that the jersey" may always loom, because you don't know if we wore all 3 during the movie, 1 of the 3, or as Jeremy suggests, none of the 3.

Without exaggeration, I saw 2 of these jerseys within a couple of months of each other. I know that they were not the same exact jersey because the gray material on one was a fair bit faded as compared to the other.

Jeremy -- where did you hear the information that he wore his own gear? It does sound like this is correct if the movie doesn't show the blue & red "R" that's on the AIS jersey.
                              Looking for ...

Comment

Working...