PDA

View Full Version : Brett Jersey On Ebay-no Way!

hblakewolf
08-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Forum readers-
The Phillies and Royals incorporated the same type of tagging on their early 1980's jerseys. The year/set tag should simply have the year and a set with a space between these two sets of numbers. There is NEVER a dash between the two. A dealer by the name of Whitey Wilonborg had extra Phillies jerseys made in 1980, 1981 of Schmidt, Rose, Carlton and Bowa, however, incorrectly had a dash addeds to the year/set, which is a dead giveaway that they are not real. Likewise, the emboridery style is not correct. Usually the 1 has a tail on the top and bottom, which is not the style used by Wilson. These bogus Phillies jerseys often appear in auctions and are sold as gamers.

Recentyl, a 1981 Royals Brett was featured in a major auction, however, pulled when I contacted the owner about the incorrect embroidery (dash between the year/set) and wrong style of embroidery to boot!

Currently on Ebay is yet another bogus Brett:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330019985825&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

What's interesting is that MEARS grades it an A4 and notes it is a sample jersey, however, the seller makes it appear to be a gamer in his title. I sent the seller an email, explaining that MEARS notes it's a sample, and it in no way could be a gamer, and this is the response:

Original owner said he acquired it during spring training in 1982 and had plenty of snapshot photographs to back up his story. Ken Brett befriended the family and the son loved George, so he set up a spring training meeting, at which George gave him this jersey. We assume that is why there was no patch on sleeve. MEARS claims it is Pro Stock but missing patch and showing little to no wear, thus A4.

Thanks for looking,
Archie

There is no bigger fan of Mike Schmidt than me, however, I was never befriended by another Philllies player in order to meet Schmidt or obtain a jersey at spring training. I did meet Doug Glanville once in the Phillies parking lot a few years ago, asked him to sign his game worn hat and he told me to get lost!

How would you like to be the poor buyer who wins this thinking he has a rare Brett gamer!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

2dales1number3
08-21-2006, 11:49 PM
I seen that one and actually was going to hit the BIN (999.00) but then I seen the letter from Mears. Im glad I didnt.