PDA

View Full Version : I Miss Catalogs

harpt
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't even care if the catalog was filled with items I would never bid on (which was usually the case). I loved when that big catalog filled with colorful pictures and descriptions of items would show up in my mailbox. It felt like Christmas. Heck, I even loved the American Memorabilia catalogs at the end when they'd have pictures of models wearing the items (which drove me crazy, but still I enjoyed discussing it on this forum).

I understand that these catalogs are becoming a thing of the past due to the high cost of creating and distributing them...and the same catalogs are essentially created on the web for all to see...but it just doesn't feel the same.

I have stacks of these old catalogs in my basement that I can not get myself to throw away. I still look at many of them just for fun. Is there something wrong with me?

karamaxjoe
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
You're just as psychotic as the rest of us! I have all my catalogs also just in case I need to look up something from ten years ago. I noticed in some of my older catalogs that I used to write down my bid amounts next to the item since we couldn't bid on line back then. That was the only way I could remember what my bid was. I can't believe I used to ride the phone for hours trying to find out if my bid was still at the top or not. The guy on the other end of the phone was never happy with me.

harpt
03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I am right with you on that one.

Glad Grey Flannel still sends a catalog...coming soon.

ironmanfan
03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, what we are finding out now is that no matter how slick those catalogs looked, a good portion of those particular items listed have been found to be bogus...............

gingi79
03-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Catalogs are an underutilized and underappreciated resource in this hobby. Websites can change and pictures can be deleted but Catalogs last forever.

I think being able to nail down a jersey sold at auction that might have been modified or is now listed as something it isn't is yet another way we can safeguard each other. There is no such thing as too many picture references.

Plus catalogs enable collectors to gauge prices realized or help collectors to find grails and such. I personally never get tired of seeing unique and amazing jerseys, bats, gloves etc as well.

As a collector on a budget, knowing jerseys that I would have to normally pay admission to a HOF to see were available for sale, just makes me smile. It's nice to see our hobby in the spotlight, no?