Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mad87man
    • Feb 2011

How do you Display your collection?

I was wondering how many of you display your collection. I am now beginning to get quite a few items and was wondering how some of you do it. I am going to ikea this weekend to get one of those glass display cabinets that are 50$ to put my game used helmets in. They have 4 shelves in it. Only thing i worry about is they are not UV glass but i plan to down the road get gases for the helmets and put them in there then the case. The jerseys i plan to make a little closet type thing for and put them on hangers and possibly in suit bags to keep them protected. So what do you do with all your stuff? Display it? Keep it in containers completely away from everything and safe? Would love to hear. Maybe some others can get ideas as well.
  • otismalibu
    • Nov 2005

Re: How do you Display your collection?

We don't need no stinking UV glass!
    Plaster the walls, use up all your floor space. Set up a velvet rope at the door.
    Good to go.

Greg
    DrJStuff.com

Comment

• mad87man
      • Feb 2011

you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets? i mean i doubt anything on them would fade but i don't wanna chnce it. I love your set up.

Comment

• otismalibu
        • Nov 2005

you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets?
        Guess it depends how much light you have. The only light source in my room is 4 of those little ceiling fan bulbs and the computer screen. The window has blinds and a curtain over that.

In my lifetime, I doubt I'll notice any fading. More concerned about a tornado ripping off the upper level of the house.
        Greg
        DrJStuff.com

Comment

• mad87man
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by otismalibu
          Guess it depends how much light you have. The only light source in my room is 4 of those little ceiling fan bulbs and the computer screen. The window has blinds and a curtain over that.

In my lifetime, I doubt I'll notice any fading. More concerned about a tornado ripping off the upper level of the house.
          i don't get a ton of light but i worry about it. i know its prob nuttin but i do have shades and a curtain as well. I will prob just get the shelves and pick the cases up if i see it start.

Comment

• harpt
            • May 2007

I can't get enough of that Dr. J collection.

As for me, I built lockers (basically a series of closets) in my basement with carsiding and 2x4s. Looks good and was relatively cheap to do.
            Scott Harpt
            scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
            Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• otismalibu
              • Nov 2005

As for me, I built lockers (basically a series of closets) in my basement with carsiding and 2x4s. Looks good and was relatively cheap to do.
              Scott,

Post that photo again. Those lockers look sweet and it's tough to find the old thread with your photos
              Greg
              DrJStuff.com

Comment

• BU54CB
                • Jul 2010

No UV glass here, just a good shade over the window that doesn't let direct sunlight in, just enough to see the goods.

Comment

• Klattsy
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mad87man
                  you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets? i mean i doubt anything on them would fade but i don't wanna chnce it. I love your set up.
                  Is there any way to make existing glass UV protected?

I have an ikea cabinet right next to my window which lets in lots of sunlight through the cheap blinds:

We are planning on replacing the blinds for curtains but this could be 2-3 years away...The rest of my memorabilia is on a wall opposite the blinds as well. I never open them, but they do a poor job of darkening the room.

Comment

• xpress34
                    • Sep 2008

I have an unfinished basement - and again cannot remember the 'originator' of the idea here - maybe TripleXXX? - I know it was one of the football guys... anyway...

Unfinished basement, $25 Black 5 Shelf Wal-Mart Bookcases, Mannequins and a few Oakley cases I've picked up over the years (Oh yeah, and a large carpet remnant) and I have this:

Some of the pics are old and some items are gone or replaced with new stuff - I need to take new pics - but you get the idea.

As far as light - as I said, basement - one window and it's covered with a dark blanket with a table in front of it (where I take photos of balls, bats, jerseys, etc). All incandescent bulbs have been replaced with CFLs and I am ungrading (as I can afford it) to LED bulbs (no UV light emitted!).

Hope you enjoy!!!

- Smitty

P.S. - Here's the Giambi Uni now:

Comment

• xpress34
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Klattsy
                      Is there any way to make existing glass UV protected?

I have an ikea cabinet right next to my window which lets in lots of sunlight through the cheap blinds:

We are planning on replacing the blinds for curtains but this could be 2-3 years away...The rest of my memorabilia is on a wall opposite the blinds as well. I never open them, but they do a poor job of darkening the room.
                      Klattsy -

Now THAT is a sports case:
                      • Football (Soccer)
                      • Rugby
                      • Baseball
                      • Cricket

Quite the mash-up!

- Smitty

Comment

• mad87man
                        • Feb 2011

That is the same case i am picking up. They look great. They do sell window tints i believe to put on just google something like uv window pretect or something.

Comment

• Shipp_96
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by BU54CB
                          No UV glass here, just a good shade over the window that doesn't let direct sunlight in, just enough to see the goods.

Man, now that is one sweet setup you have there. Simple and elegant. As the late, great Richard Pryor said in Brewster's Millions "Now this is a room I could die in!" I love it, and am not even a Bears fan!

Comment

• harpt
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by otismalibu
                            Scott,

Post that photo again. Those lockers look sweet and it's tough to find the old thread with your photos
                            Thanks...here is the old photo. Bad lighting, but you'll get the idea. Now I just wish I could add some jerseys.
                            Attached Files
                            Scott Harpt
                            scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
                            Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• ironmanfan
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by harpt
                              Thanks...here is the old photo. Bad lighting, but you'll get the idea. Now I just wish I could add some jerseys.

Great display! That Molitor locker nameplate looks familar..........I have the matching Cooper should you be so interested!

Bill

Comment

Working...