PDA

View Full Version : Help with Majestic Tag Thread!!

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before? This was purchased recently from Ball Park Heroes and comes with a Cardinals Care COA and has been photomatched, but I noticed this anomally in the way the tag was sewn. Has anyone seen this before on a legit jersey?

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
More Photos

sox83cubs84
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
When I worked at MEARS, I saw the same stitch hole effect on the Majestic tags of several 2005 Mets gamers which were legit. I originally thought it was hobbyist tag tampering, but the sourcing and quantity of these convinced me otherwise.

Dave Miedema

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm wondering if they were from a previous year and the equipment manager removed the year tag and inserted the current year? But then again who would be that anal? I guess it could happen but I can't think of another reason.

Lokee
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm wondering if they were from a previous year and the equipment manager removed the year tag and inserted the current year? But then again who would be that anal? I guess it could happen but I can't think of another reason.

That would be insane not to mention time consuming.

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I agree, but I can't think of any other reason for it to be sewn like it had been removed and replaced. A mistake I guess.

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 08:15 PM
sox83cubs84, do you have a theory as to why you think this jersey and the mets jerseys you spoke of were done this way? I appreciate your response.

Birdbats
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM

I think this is a valid theory. The whole point of year tags is to let the equipment manager know how old a particular shirt is. That used to be a much more important concern when teams recycled jerseys -- sometimes at the MLB level, often for spring training and/or through the minors. Less recycling today, but still could have been happening in 2004. I've purchased at least two Cardinals jerseys from the team with the year/set flag removed. Would not surprise me at all to know the team was re-tagging jerseys so they could track when they were put into circulation.

sox83cubs84
03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
sox83cubs84, do you have a theory as to why you think this jersey and the mets jerseys you spoke of were done this way? I appreciate your response.

Other than Jeff's reasoning, I can't. Still, one has to remember, teams that use tags do so for their own reasons, not to leave an instructional guide to collectors.

Dave Miedema

Birdbats
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Todd, please e-mail me photos of a few particular details and maybe I can determine if this is a 2003 jersey that was re-tagged for 2004. I need to see:

Close ups of the birds' heads
Close up of a button
Close up of the interior back of the shirt so I can see how the name plate is attached
A photo of the interior laundry tag.Thanks.

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Good points. I'm sure collectors never cross their mind when they are doing their jobs. I can't help but wonder how many legit jerseys that are exactly like mine will be called into question because of this. I really appreciate you guys responding and helping me out. I actually quit posting about a year ago because of the shape the forum had gotten into. Recently though it seems like it has gotten a whole lot better. It's guys like you that brought me back to posting. I always enjoy reading posts from you guys. Thanks again!

Canseco44
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok Jeff, I will do it first thing in the morning. All I have now is my iPad, and it's incapable of taking or posting pics! Lol I could answer questions about those particulars if that would help? Lmk

Todd

Canseco44
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Here ya go. Close ups of both birds heads. And a button.

Canseco44
03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
And interior nameplate sewing job and wash tag.

Canseco44
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
sorry forgot wash tag. Also front sewing details and W.S. Patch

Canseco44
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Also the pics I believe are a photomatch based on number and name alignment and the messed up U. Can anyone line the jersey up with the photos to get a better look? All others road jerseys from that year have a perfect U. Let me know what you guys think.

Birdbats
03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
This jersey has all of the characteristics of a 2004 jersey, not a 2003 shirt. Blows my theory it might be a re-tagged '03. Year flags were rare in 2003 Cards jerseys (Majestic's first year); have also seen 2004 shirts with no year flag. So, I guess a plausible explanation could be that the jersey shell didn't have a year flag and a 2004 tag was added by the equipment manager so it could be tracked.

Canseco44
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all your help. I agree that must be what happened. Anyone have any comments or help on the photomatch?

Todd

ziggy
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
It would have been changed at majestic not equipment manager.....For some reason they add the year or customization tags after the fact sometimes.