PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Appling ebay jersey

karamaxjoe
03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
In case you’re thinking of bidding on this jersey, here’s some food for thought.

The seller claims this is a 1948 White Sox road jersey from Hall of Famer Luke Appling. He also claims the jersey was worn in 1947 by Hall of Famer Red Ruffing in his final season. The jersey apparently had number 34 on back and was changed to number 4. Red Ruffing wore number 34 in his final season of 1947. How someone can claim this jersey traveled back in time to 1947 to be worn by another Hall of Famer is beyond me. Keep in mind the jersey is tagged from 1948, but the seller believes it was also worn the previous season by another Hall of Famer.

Another problem with the jersey is the strip tag in the collar. Apparently when the strip tag fell off or was removed, only the number 4 was left visible. How convenient was that? A proper collar strip tag from a 1948 Appling jersey would say ‘Appling 4’. I’m guessing the original strip tag to this jersey had another players name with a number 14 or 24.

Another problem with the jersey is the size. I’ve researched five other Appling jerseys including his coaches jerseys when he was a bit heavier and he never wore a size larger than 44. The offered jersey is a size 46.

The final problem with the jersey is the number 4 on back. The font is clearly different from the correct font from that era and looks hand cut. Also the stitching on the inside of the jersey for the number 4 should not be a bright red but should be an off white color since the stitching is over 60 years old.

Now if you told me Barry Halper once owned this jersey, I’d not be very surprised due to all the elaborate forgeries coming to light. This jersey would fit right into his collection.

And yes, I did contact the seller but he could care less about what I have to say. If you care, you’d be wise to stay away from this one. I could use the Chicago lettering on the front of the jersey to restore one of mine, but that’s about all this jersey is good for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260746031315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

platinum1
03-03-2011, 11:41 PM
In case you’re thinking of bidding on this jersey, here’s some food for thought.

The seller claims this is a 1948 White Sox road jersey from Hall of Famer Luke Appling. He also claims the jersey was worn in 1947 by Hall of Famer Red Ruffing in his final season. The jersey apparently had number 34 on back and was changed to number 4. Red Ruffing wore number 34 in his final season of 1947. How someone can claim this jersey traveled back in time to 1947 to be worn by another Hall of Famer is beyond me. Keep in mind the jersey is tagged from 1948, but the seller believes it was also worn the previous season by another Hall of Famer.

Another problem with the jersey is the strip tag in the collar. Apparently when the strip tag fell off or was removed, only the number 4 was left visible. How convenient was that? A proper collar strip tag from a 1948 Appling jersey would say ‘Appling 4’. I’m guessing the original strip tag to this jersey had another players name with a number 14 or 24.

Another problem with the jersey is the size. I’ve researched five other Appling jerseys including his coaches jerseys when he was a bit heavier and he never wore a size larger than 44. The offered jersey is a size 46.

The final problem with the jersey is the number 4 on back. The font is clearly different from the correct font from that era and looks hand cut. Also the stitching on the inside of the jersey for the number 4 should not be a bright red but should be an off white color since the stitching is over 60 years old.

Now if you told me Barry Halper once owned this jersey, I’d not be very surprised due to all the elaborate forgeries coming to light. This jersey would fit right into his collection.

And yes, I did contact the seller but he could care less about what I have to say. If you care, you’d be wise to stay away from this one. I could use the Chicago lettering on the front of the jersey to restore one of mine, but that’s about all this jersey is good for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260746031315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Thanks for the information.

sox83cubs84
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
This heavily doctored jersey was given an A5 by MEARS...I wonder what their LOO on the item has to say about it.

Dave Miedema

dbushing1
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Dave, I looked in the MEARS data base and no 1948 is up on line. would love to get the # or copy of letter to confirm. We have a 47 home on line but no 48. Get me a number or copy of letter to confirm.

karamaxjoe
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Dave B,

I can tell you that jersey was originally in a Sothebys auction labeled as a Cubs jersey with a MEARS letter. The lot was subsequently pulled and I hadn't seen the jersey until it showed up on ebay.

dbushing1
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
CommentsRed Ruffing wore number 34 in 1947, but no one is listed with that number in 1948. Luke Appling wore number 4 from 1948-49, however this jersey was issued as a number 34 in 1948. It is possible that it was worn by Appling, but there is no way to tell. (this is the comment section on this jersey clearly stating that nobody was issed number 34 in 1948, having been changed to a number 4 after initial issue, could have been worn but clearly stated that there is no evidence as such.Also, ther is no mention of Ruffing wearing this shirt in 1947 either, only that he wore number 34 in 1947. Could it have been made for him in spring training of 1948?, stripped and changed for Appling later in 1948? We make no claims as to either) Hope this helps.

karamaxjoe
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Dave B,

Does the MEARS letter address the strip tag in the collar or the font on the number 4? Somebody obviously removed the first part of the collar strip tag and left a visible number 4.

The photos below on the left shows a 1946 road Appling with the proper uniform number font. The photo on the right is the poor attempt at a number 4. I don't believe they changed fonts from 1946 to 1948. The strip tag in the collar did change to the players name and uniform number in 1948.

sox83cubs84
03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
The conveniently torn collar tag on this jersey reminds me of a similar, though slighlt more frequently encountered problem in the 1980s...Don Bryant (#31) and Kim Andrew/Ramon Aviles (#11) Red Sox gamers that, by virtue of a year tag that "washed out" (even though the other tags were still intact and solidly affixed) were suddenly "transformed" into Fergie Jenkins and Luis Aparicio jerseys...illicitly, of course.

Dave Miedema

dbushing1
03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
MEARS letter simply titles the jersey a 1948 White Sox jersey, number 4 changed from 34, no inference to Appling, hence, I did not find it when I looked up Appling.

karamaxjoe
03-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I think the letter is in dire need of a do over. Everything from the possibly altered collar strip tag to the wrong size to the funky number on back would scare me away from this jersey. I don't know if this qualifies for an 'unable to authenticate', but it has to come close.

dbushing1
03-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think the problem is with the letter as it is only listed as a 1948 White Sox jersey which it is, number change, which it is, no player id, which it is. The problem is not with the letter but with the seller on ebay who is trying to make it into something it is not. Unable to authenticate would mean we cannot determine if it is a real jersey which we have no doubt that it is a real jersey. It was issued to a number 34, probably never made the cut, number changed in another style, probably for use in minor leagues but still, a decent example of a 1948 Chicago White Sox professional model jersey and quite nice looking as long as you are not selling it as a game worn Luke Appling jersey. The defining grade and decision is correct and anything pertaining to Appling is simply an assumption that is not substanciated in any facts at all.

dbushing1
03-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Joe, should add a couple more notes. Since the 34 on back is plainly visible, the strip tag would also read 34. With the 3 missing, doesn't change the fact that strip would have matched the 34 and it would be an assumption that it was deliberately torn off and to what avail since the 34 outline is plainly visible and once the LOA explained the significance of the number change and nobody wearing that number, any chance that Appling may have worn that jersey would be a subjective guess at best.

karamaxjoe
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't think the problem is with the letter as it is only listed as a 1948 White Sox jersey which it is, number change, which it is, no player id, which it is. The problem is not with the letter but with the seller on ebay who is trying to make it into something it is not.

I agree the seller is putting a spin on this jersey that shouldn't be happening. The problem is the seller is using the reference to Ruffing and the possible use by Appling that is mentioned in the letter. I don't believe Ruffing should ever have been mentioned as a possibility since he was released in October of 1947. The reference to Appling can only be made due to the number change, but I doubt the four on back was the original four. I'd really like to know if the shadow of the original four matches the four on back. I'm saying it doesn't and at some point I'll find a picture from 1948 showing the correct font on the four.

I do appreciate you coming on here to talk about this.

karamaxjoe
03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Dave Grob weighs in on this messed up jersey

http://www.network54.com/Forum/427155/message/1299444130/1948+White+Sox+Jersey+on+E-Bay

dbushing1
03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike, Ruffing is mentioned only as to show the last player to wear number 34 prior to the 1948 season when this shirt was made. The fact that nobody wore number 34 in 1948 means one of several things. Person wearing this shirt in spring of 1948 did not make squad. Number was changed to 4 subsequently and used in minor leagues. Seems odd that the White Sox would make a shirt prior to final roster in 1948 and not change it and use it themselves in 1948 season rather than send down a brand new jersey to the minors simply because player number 34 did not make it but again, it is simply listed in our records as a 1948 jersey of a non roster player with number change and no idea as to whom might have worn it while it was number 34 or after the change to number 4. It therefore becomes another spin by the seller to fill in the gray areas with speculation as to raise the value but the current price indicates that it has failed in that respect and is still a decent price for an example of a 1948 jersey.

dbushing1
03-07-2011, 04:44 PM
For those interested. two recorded playing era Appling jerseys were both size 44, three post career shirts were all size 42.

karamaxjoe
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Mike, Ruffing is mentioned only as to show the last player to wear number 34 prior to the 1948 season when this shirt was made. The fact that nobody wore number 34 in 1948 means one of several things. Person wearing this shirt in spring of 1948 did not make squad. Number was changed to 4 subsequently and used in minor leagues. Seems odd that the White Sox would make a shirt prior to final roster in 1948 and not change it and use it themselves in 1948 season rather than send down a brand new jersey to the minors simply because player number 34 did not make it but again, it is simply listed in our records as a 1948 jersey of a non roster player with number change and no idea as to whom might have worn it while it was number 34 or after the change to number 4. It therefore becomes another spin by the seller to fill in the gray areas with speculation as to raise the value but the current price indicates that it has failed in that respect and is still a decent price for an example of a 1948 jersey.

It's unfortunate the seller used the reference to Red Ruffing and from the sale price it appears nobody bought the story. I do think the value of the jersey lies in the Chicago lettering and $660 is more than I would value it.

I don't agree the jersey was sent to the minors since the 'Chicago' lettering is still on the front. I've owned a few jerseys from that road style with the lettering removed since the jerseys were donated to an American Legion Team (I sold you one 12 years ago....remember the 46 Don Kolloway with the stars and stripes patch?)

I firmly believe number 34 didn't make the roster and the team stripped the number at some point. Years later some enterprising fool tried to create an Appling jersey with the bad number 4 on back and altered the neck tag. I admit its pure speculation on my part, but I'm sticking with it.