PDA

View Full Version : Majestic tagging question. Real or retail?

UGA-1
03-07-2011, 07:03 AM
I have looked at past articles on Majestic tagging, but there is one year(1991) that is not identified. This jersey could have been worn during this season since the tail tag put it in the late 80's to 1993 range. The collar tag does not match any listed in the post however, and the term "Genuine Merchandise" bothers me as being possibly a retail tag. The wash tag has #6000, but I now know that is not a true indicator. The Majestic sleeve logo is pre-1994 also. Any info is greatly appreciated.

UGA-1
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Bump. You baseball guys afraid to touch this one?:D

LastingsMilledge85
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Genuine merchandise means retail replica.

bigtime59
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
What does the rest of the jersey look like?

sox83cubs84
03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
What does the rest of the jersey look like?

I second that...send us some front and back pics, as well as the sleeve logo. The tag you cite isn't often found in team-issued Majestic BPs, but saying it's retail because of that tag is not an automatic. I've seen the tag more than once on team BPs. More info is needed.

Dave Miedema

UGA-1
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys,
Here are more pics. The wash tag concerns me also since it is sewn on top of the seam, or is this normal for a early 90's Majestic piece? I think the sleeve logo dates this jersey to the 1993 season or before. I do not see evidence on Getty of any Braves player wearing Majestic BPs in 91,92 or 93. I also know that block lettering is not uncommon for the Braves also. I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge!

TNTtoys
03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Jersey looks like a complete mess to me... Possibly a minor league jersey doctored up (and badly) to look like a major league jersey? I recall many solid poly blue Braves jerseys being authenticated wrongly as "alternate gamers" whilst the Braves did not wear such style jerseys on field.

So, if this is a team issued BP...

The tags look like some conglomeration of retail tags and team tags and are sewn on very questionably. I don't think that the size tag would date as far back as the early '90s but not too sure about that one.

The NOB is wrong font; the back number is wrong font.

The material appears to be a bit thick for a BP.

And did Majestic even do these at the time? I don't know the answer to that question.

UGA-1
03-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input TNT. Please be more specific in your concerns about the jersey. Why is the font wrong? Why is the sewing questionable? Just want to be educated and know what to look for in the future.
MORE INFO: This jersey was purchased from a company that has a very good reputation on this board and was part of a bulk purchase from the Braves in the 90's.

TNTtoys
03-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input TNT. Please be more specific in your concerns about the jersey. Why is the font wrong? Why is the sewing questionable? Just want to be educated and know what to look for in the future.
MORE INFO: This jersey was purchased from a company that has a very good reputation on this board and was part of a bulk purchase from the Braves in the 90's.

OK, here is what I see. Perhaps someone like Dave Miedema can validate these points in case I get anything wrong here.

1. Back #9 is wrong font for a Braves jersey of this period.

2. NOB should be arched not block.

3. Nameplate is positioned way too low.

4. Looks like double knit material, not BP material.

5. Presence of 6000 retail wash tag.

6. Wash tag deliberately sewn over the seam by hand where it should be serged.

7. Size '46' flag tag sewn directly to the jersey on 3 sides in black and a 4th side in white?

8. Size 46 flag tag appearing in the neck?

9. Retail Majestic tag in the neckline and team issued tag applied to bottom front of the jersey.

UGA-1
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
This 1991 card shows that the Braves did sometimes use block letters in the early 90's.

TNTtoys
03-12-2011, 08:53 PM
This 1991 card shows that the Braves did sometimes use block letters in the early 90's.

The block letters in your photo appear to be a fair bit bigger than the block letters on your jersey...but it certainly does prove that some of the jerseys back then used block (although I have seen plenty more photos where the font is a vertical arch).

In fact, your photo got me looking, and I managed to find a fair few shots of the Braves from 1990-1993 in these blue BPs but not one of them had the Majestic embroidery on the sleeve.

Check this out...

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52990593/Getty-Images-Sport

Here is the caption --

<<1991: Ryan Klesko #30 of the Richmond Braves bats during a AAA Minor League game in the 1991 season. (Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images)>>

The jersey looks very similar to yours... which also opens up the discussion as to whether or not you have a major league jersey or a minor league jersey.

Also, going back to your point about who you bought this from. I am very friendly with a reputable seller in the hobby who did a bulk buy with the Mets about 10 yrs ago... and there was a mix of Major League and Minor League jerseys in the package. Unfortunately some of them were minor league jerseys wrongly (and unintentionally) authenticated as major league jerseys.

UGA-1
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
TNT I agree with you on the bulk purchase scenario. I guess we can go with the largest problem first. I also agree with you that based on Getty images, I do not see the Braves in Majestic until the 94 season. That means TP could have only worn Majestic is 94, late 96 after the trade from Fla. and 97. In 94 teams had the Gold MLB patch, so that eliminates that year. In 97 the Braves should have gotten new spring training jerseys and therefore arched lettering.
I think the only possibility of this being a TP jersey is that it was made up on short notice in 96 when he came back to Atlanta. BUT, the sleeve logo is a style that was changed after 1993?
Thats what has me stumped.

sox83cubs84
03-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Nick:

I saw your posts and, other than what UGA-1 pointed out, the only thing I diagree with is the mesh/knit fabric issue. Braves BPs of the early 1990s were, indeed, knits or something similar, and not mesh like many teams used.

Overall, now that everything is out on the table (and not just the tags), I would be wary of this piece, as well.

Dave Miedema

UGA-1
03-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys for your opinions. It is appreciated. I am going face the facts that this jersey has to many problems/questions to be trusted. At least I'm smarter for the next time!

TNTtoys
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
TNT I agree with you on the bulk purchase scenario. I guess we can go with the largest problem first. I also agree with you that based on Getty images, I do not see the Braves in Majestic until the 94 season. That means TP could have only worn Majestic is 94, late 96 after the trade from Fla. and 97. In 94 teams had the Gold MLB patch, so that eliminates that year. In 97 the Braves should have gotten new spring training jerseys and therefore arched lettering.
I think the only possibility of this being a TP jersey is that it was made up on short notice in 96 when he came back to Atlanta. BUT, the sleeve logo is a style that was changed after 1993?
Thats what has me stumped.

Doesn't look like 94 or 96 would be possibilities. Both years' jerseys were made by Russell; the 94s should contain the 125th Anniversary patches.

TNTtoys
03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Nick:

I saw your posts and, other than what UGA-1 pointed out, the only thing I diagree with is the mesh/knit fabric issue. Braves BPs of the early 1990s were, indeed, knits or something similar, and not mesh like many teams used.

Overall, now that everything is out on the table (and not just the tags), I would be wary of this piece, as well.

Dave Miedema

Thanks Dave...

Based on the photos I have seen the last couple of nights, I concur.

Nick