PDA

View Full Version : Another way to get game used stuff

jake33
08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok, this might not be earth shattering to a few of you, in short before you read everything I contact sports agents to get the goods... below is how and why.

Ok, as a few of you know I am a major Buccaneers and Devil rays game worn items collector, to keep my focus of my collection with in a somewhat normal dollar amount and to have a better focus to a collection is why, otherwise i would just buy everything I liked, which would be an endless pit that I could never come close to filling.

For getting D-Rays stuff it has not been nearly as tough to get. But for recent Buccaneers items it has become increasing difficult. THe reason that some of you may know is that the former Bucs equipment manager Darrin Kearns was released 4-5 years ago because he back doored 100's upon 100's of Bucs game used jerseys when he found out about the switch to Reebok jerseys coming for the Bucs in the 2002 season. Those jersey have now watered downt he market making it easy to get $90 game used Bucs jersey from the 97-00 seasons.

Coinsidently, in 2002 the Bucs win the super bowl (which obviously made me as a collector on the search for any items I could run down from that great season). Actually at halftime of that superbowl when i could that that that the game was over. i was on the phone with various jersey dealers asking to be on the look out for 02 gamers. i have been on the search ever since. After Kearns was let go, I heard that one of the first things ANYONE working in the Bucs lockerroom has been told RIGHT away that if anything gets stolen, they are gone. Zero tolerance on the issue. I even routinely call the BUCS PR office and they said that nothing will be getting out of there.

So i was left to any idea to get any bucs game jersey, from the particular season. About 2 years ago, I was reading an article about a Bucs palyer that signed a 3-year contract, later in the article there was a quote by that player's agent. So what I did is a google search for the agent. Most agents want to brag about their client list which leads to many of them having websites with PHONE numbers. So over the coarse of the last 2 years I ahev bought 5 gmae worn jerseys all with very good gmae use directly from the player's agent. The agent who also views their job as a marketing consultant for their client is usually MORE than willing to talk to you, afterall the agents are the ones who set up autograph shows and appearances for the players.

The one problem is that some agents view their client as the next (fill in the blank for a Michael Jordan-like comparison). This causes some agents to ask INSANE prices for some clients' jerseys. Case and point I contacted Jack Reale agent for Rick Razzano (3-4th string fullback for the Bucs) and he wanted $1000 for his jersey, yikes....

I also do google searches similar to something like this

"Chris Simms" agent contract

or

"Chris Simms" sports marketing

after a few tries you should be able to find what you are lookign for

Another strange story, I called "BUSS" Cooke who represents Brett Favre AND Steve Mc Nair, however i was inquiring about larry Brackins (who was recently cut) and he would not take my call.

90% of the time you will get a secretary when you call who gives you the 3rd degree and sometimes ask what company I am with. Because i will be as general as possible when they ask, I will say "I am inquiring about Mr. Agent's client David Boston"

Once I was even asked if I worked for Upper Deck card company!
--

Any ways, if some of you are running into brick walls to get your "hol grail" of your colection, this is worth a try. Also, try to NOT sound like a"fan" on the phone, if you look or sound like you know waht youa re doing it will work much better.

sfgiants452
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
HI Jake,

You since you are a major Devil Rays collector, would you happen to have a any Chris Gomez gear from 2000 or 2001 season, preferably 2001?

Anthony

metsbats
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
That sounds like a great way to try and perhaps it may work. One thread we are all seeing in the hobby is the organized sport association (like MLB) are keeping a tight lid on GU items these days and the only way to get GU items are going to be thru relationships like Mets-Steiner, Yankees-Steiner, team shops, MLB auctions,etc. I think it's going to harder to get things thru agents and I'm also seeing it harder to get GU item thru the regular dealer sources I used to get things thru in previous years. GU items are going straight from the field to the Team shops or marketed thru those relationships.

David