PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Harrison Game Used Auction!

notslip0602286
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know about the reputation of americanmemorabilia? I'm looking at this Marvin Harrison auction right now, does it look legit?

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=61757&c=\Game%20Worn-Used\Football\&t=Store&p=0&s=AuctionEnd%20DESC,%20Featured%20DESC,%20RandNo%2 0ASC&offset=90

Thanks!

ivo610
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
do a search on here or just google them. They have been one of the most talked about topics on here. To be fair they have rebuilt their image in the recent years. As far as the jersey im not an expert on Colts stuff but just because its on American isnt a reason to worry imo. They auction off alot of great items.

notslip0602286
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
good to know, thanks!

Mulligans
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Reputation aside, you can get some great deals on AMI if you do your homework.

There are certainly a lot of these MH jerseys out there with the exact same signature and no paperwork. In most cases, they appear to be legit as does this one (IMO). I would never want to take away from the opportunity of a seller but with the 20% commission you are already at 2400. I think that there are a few forum members that would sell you this exact same jersey with credentials for 1800 to 2200 if you let them know that you are looking.

Best of luck!

Jeff

notslip0602286
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
any idea who? This site charges another 20%? So I wouldn't be paying $1,920??

legaleagle92481
03-16-2011, 11:41 PM
ok. heres a primer on marvin jerseys. look for custom elastic sleeves and the custom bottom. his jerseys normally do not show much use. the signature in the ami one is authentic and so is the jersey. the price is too high though and shill bidding is likely the cause. a grand through like 1,700 all inclusive they go for normally ones with less provenance like the one in question go for less. many have provenance from the company that had the colts jersey exclusives during that time period. i believe it is called gameday exclusives. member slam had one like three weeks ago he was selling i dont know if he still has it. i almost bought it but i bought a jason taylor and a ray lewis instead and ran out of funds.

notslip0602286
03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
yeah ive been talking to him, so that one looks real to you? it does to me as well. the only problem is that it isnt signed, and i dont think marvin is still doing signings these days, ever since the shooting incident he has kind of disappeared. im also looking for others, like reggie wayne, dallas clark, edgerrin james, those guys. i almost bought a james one on ebay a month ago, but it was a fake and luckily i found that out before i sent money, haha

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 12:35 AM
yeah ive been talking to him, so that one looks real to you? it does to me as well. the only problem is that it isnt signed, and i dont think marvin is still doing signings these days, ever since the shooting incident he has kind of disappeared. im also looking for others, like reggie wayne, dallas clark, edgerrin james, those guys. i almost bought a james one on ebay a month ago, but it was a fake and luckily i found that out before i sent money, haha

Yeah it is genuine. It also has a gameday exclusives coa/hologram. the drawback is its impossible to know what game it was used in and thus to try and photomatch it which is hard to begin with since his jerseys are so clean. personally i love knowing what game each of my jerseys was worn in. ive never seen a wayne or a clark. on the colts website there used to be stuff from jeff saturday and a few other mid tier guys like that but thats depleted. is the edge your talking about the 1,500 one?

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 12:39 AM
you should post in the items wanted section what you want and maybe you can find stuff that way. most of the major players in the hobby check this site alot even if they don't post.

notslip0602286
03-17-2011, 01:18 AM
yes, i won the auction for the edge jersey, then realized its a fake. i confronted the seller, he reposted it, then took it down a week or so later i think. unless he sold it to someone else. it was a throwback jersey, but from 05.....they didnt wear throwbacks in 05, just 04. so it didn't make sense. yeah colts stuff is pretty hard to find, or its really expensive.

notslip0602286
03-17-2011, 01:20 AM
see i like knowing what game the jersey is from, which is why i almost think that its worth it to pay the extra money for the autograph and extra reassurance of authenticity, knowing what game it is from. i did look up photos to this game, and the jersey in that game does seem to have stains on the right shoulder i believe, and lower back, but its hard to say, maybe it was washed???

trsent
03-17-2011, 03:42 AM
ok. heres a primer on marvin jerseys. look for custom elastic sleeves and the custom bottom. his jerseys normally do not show much use. the signature in the ami one is authentic and so is the jersey. the price is too high though and shill bidding is likely the cause. a grand through like 1,700 all inclusive they go for normally ones with less provenance like the one in question go for less. many have provenance from the company that had the colts jersey exclusives during that time period. i believe it is called gameday exclusives. member slam had one like three weeks ago he was selling i dont know if he still has it. i almost bought it but i bought a jason taylor and a ray lewis instead and ran out of funds.

Can you advise how you can accuse this item of being a victim of shill bidding? I don't care if the price seems high, if you are going to make an accusation of this nature you should have some proof to back it up and not just speculation that may be taken the wrong way.

notslip0602286
03-17-2011, 04:30 AM
I think he was just stating an opinion, not necessarily a fact.....

anyway, here is the main picture i was referring to, notice the small grass stains on the left shoulder.....

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51475693/Getty-Images-Sport

jhunt28
03-17-2011, 05:56 AM
see i like knowing what game the jersey is from, which is why i almost think that its worth it to pay the extra money for the autograph and extra reassurance of authenticity, knowing what game it is from. i did look up photos to this game, and the jersey in that game does seem to have stains on the right shoulder i believe, and lower back, but its hard to say, maybe it was washed???

I haven't looked at the jersey in question, but I'm just saying this to throw an idea out there. Most jerseys that are a few years old have been washed by the teams...it's only since JO Sports and a few others that getting unwashed jerseys has become the popular thing to do. It makes the photomatching experience that much more fun! Obviously, this is NOT a blanket statement, as NFL Auctions has been selling unwashed jerseys for years. But I just wanted you to keep in mind that you shouldn't disregard, or think of a jersey as not real, just because it has been washed.

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Can you advise how you can accuse this item of being a victim of shill bidding? I don't care if the price seems high, if you are going to make an accusation of this nature you should have some proof to back it up and not just speculation that may be taken the wrong way.

the word probably indicates an opinion. well see if when the auction ends it ends up back on there or ebay shortly after. as you know ami has a long history of shill bidding and hidden reserves so it is not like im saying anything radical.

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I haven't looked at the jersey in question, but I'm just saying this to throw an idea out there. Most jerseys that are a few years old have been washed by the teams...it's only since JO Sports and a few others that getting unwashed jerseys has become the popular thing to do. It makes the photomatching experience that much more fun! Obviously, this is NOT a blanket statement, as NFL Auctions has been selling unwashed jerseys for years. But I just wanted you to keep in mind that you shouldn't disregard, or think of a jersey as not real, just because it has been washed.

agreed. the jersey in question is from over six years ago and ive yet to see a marvin that is unwashed.

trsent
03-17-2011, 03:20 PM
the word probably indicates an opinion. well see if when the auction ends it ends up back on there or ebay shortly after. as you know ami has a long history of shill bidding and hidden reserves so it is not like im saying anything radical.

You are claiming the price cannot be real without any proof or evidence except trying to hurt an auction that may be innocent.

Please step back and look at your posts. As a "Legal Eagle" you should know better than to accuse without proof.

I have no interest in this jersey and no ownership in the auction, but I find no reason to accuse someone of shill bidding without merit. Please look at your legal expertise and see your flaws. I notice quite often you like to post to potentially hurt a sale without true knowledge of a situation and it is not fair to the seller of the jersey in question here.

If there is PROOF of shill bidding, please expose it, but making a blind accusation because you think the price is high is not fair to anyone involved with this discussion. The original post was made by someone interested in buying this jersey if it is found authentic and your comment about shill bidding (which is different from a hidden reserve, right "Legal Eagle"?) distracts from the questions about the jersey itself.

The bids could be legitimate, right?

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
You are claiming the price cannot be real without any proof or evidence except trying to hurt an auction that may be innocent.

Please step back and look at your posts. As a "Legal Eagle" you should know better than to accuse without proof.

I have no interest in this jersey and no ownership in the auction, but I find no reason to accuse someone of shill bidding without merit. Please look at your legal expertise and see your flaws. I notice quite often you like to post to potentially hurt a sale without true knowledge of a situation and it is not fair to the seller of the jersey in question here.

If there is PROOF of shill bidding, please expose it, but making a blind accusation because you think the price is high is not fair to anyone involved with this discussion. The original post was made by someone interested in buying this jersey if it is found authentic and your comment about shill bidding (which is different from a hidden reserve, right "Legal Eagle"?) distracts from the questions about the jersey itself.

The bids could be legitimate, right?

i was just stating that the auction is running higher than the price of jerseys with better proveance that are currently on the market or have been sold relatively recently. i used slams jersey as a specific example. another is a jersey that gray flannel judged to be authentic sold at their auction last may for under a grand. whether its shill bidding or not is irrelevant. if someone likes that particular jersey and wants to bid on it more power to them. i just mentioned price because it was a newer collector who may not have been aware of what such normally go for. thats all. in another note dont waste your time trying to bait me it will not work.

trsent
03-17-2011, 06:46 PM
i was just stating that the auction is running higher than the price of jerseys with better proveance that are currently on the market or have been sold relatively recently. i used slams jersey as a specific example. another is a jersey that gray flannel judged to be authentic sold at their auction last may for under a grand. whether its shill bidding or not is irrelevant. if someone likes that particular jersey and wants to bid on it more power to them. i just mentioned price because it was a newer collector who may not have been aware of what such normally go for. thats all. in another note dont waste your time trying to bait me it will not work.

I'm not trying to bait you.

I just wanted to make you admit that your accusations of shill bidding were not with any proof.

I was thinking about this discussion, and you do bring up a good point. Shill bidding is wrong and unacceptable in the industry. Hidden reserves, while technically legal if the auction house states they may exist in their rules are pretty tacky.

eBay does it perfectly. If an item has a reserve, the auction clearly states "Reserve not met". I wish the private auction houses that do offer hidden reserves would offer this feature for fairness and openness to their customer base.

notslip0602286
03-17-2011, 06:53 PM
well for the record, i appreciate any help and advice i can get, so thank you leagle eagle!

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not trying to bait you.

I just wanted to make you admit that your accusations of shill bidding were not with any proof.

I was thinking about this discussion, and you do bring up a good point. Shill bidding is wrong and unacceptable in the industry. Hidden reserves, while technically legal if the auction house states they may exist in their rules are pretty tacky.

eBay does it perfectly. If an item has a reserve, the auction clearly states "Reserve not met". I wish the private auction houses that do offer hidden reserves would offer this feature for fairness and openness to their customer base.

From their auction rules, Rule 9:

"AMI reserves the right to place a bid on any Lot on behalf of the seller up to the amount of the reserve, if any. AMI will not specifically identify bids placed on behalf of the seller."

To me that is shill bidding. You have a minimum bid lower then that amount in some cases much lower then AMI without telling anyone may bid it up on behalf of the seller to the reserve and noone knows how much that amount is. When you bid in their auction you don't know if your bidding against another bidder or AMI/the seller. You don't know if there is a reserve and how much it is. The reserve represents the minimum the seller is willing to sell the item for. What is the difference between this and seller auctioning an item off on Ebay and having someone bid on it (with no intention of winning or paying for the item) until it reaches the minimum amount he is willing to accept for it? Its just semantics. The same effect results just with AMI its allowed. Can I prove that happened on this lot of course not? But when bidding on their stuff its always something to keep in the back of one's mind.