PDA

View Full Version : eBay's new fee structure

commando
03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale (http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/feeupdate2011.html), including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.So, you can list up to 50 items per month with no listing fee, which sounds good to me.... But paying a final value fee of 9% on the total cost of the transaction, including what you charge the buyer for shipping, will not be such a bargain if you're shipping a heavy item. Now, I have even LESS of a reason to ship out of the United States too... You're penalized by shipping to a foriegn country, even though it requires more work and headaches for the seller.

bigtime59
03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, we all knew it was coming. They're not going to let a single penny pass through that they don't get their skim on. Trying to ram free shipping down every seller's throat clearly wasn't getting them where they wanted to be.

Shipp_96
03-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Ebay has become a shell of it's former self, only worried about their greedy bottom line. They have clearly forgot WHY they even exist, because of the sellers! When I think of their absurd price increases, % taken off of the final sale and now this, they are not even the same business I have sold thru for over 10 years now.

What is sad is I flip extra or unwanted stuff on the side to pay for my GU hobby, and now that is going to take a serious hit because of these @sses. Bad enough I usually eat shipping, because I rarely charge enough, now they are going to penalize me for the cost of shipping I see ZERO money from? Pathetic!

I am all but done with them.

cohibasmoker
03-20-2011, 05:10 AM
On the other side of the coin, with auction houses charging 20% buyers fees, this buyer saved about $340.00 on his/her purchase. The down side? he/she didn't get one of those awesome LOA's that accompany auction house items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290544522421&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just an opinion.

Jim

commando
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
On the other side of the coin, with auction houses charging 20% buyers fees, this buyer saved about $340.00 on his/her purchase. The down side? he/she didn't get one of those awesome LOA's that accompany auction house items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290544522421&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just an opinion.

Jim

I agree with you Jim, and frankly, I do much more buying on eBay than selling. The biggest problem with eBay's new fee structure will be for the seller who sells heavy items. Let's say someone sells a large fifteen-pound stack of Sports Illustrateds for $5. Even if the seller is able to fit the magazines in a large flat rate priority mail box that costs $15 to ship, they are now paying eBay an additional $1.40 in fees based on the shipping cost. On the seller's $5 auction, they are paying almost $2 in fees. If the seller is smart, they will up their shipping quote to $16.50 or $17.00 in this example.

cohibasmoker
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I agree with you Jim, and frankly, I do much more buying on eBay than selling. The biggest problem with eBay's new fee structure will be for the seller who sells heavy items. Let's say someone sells a large fifteen-pound stack of Sports Illustrateds for $5. Even if the seller is able to fit the magazines in a large flat rate priority mail box that costs $15 to ship, they are now paying eBay an additional $1.40 in fees based on the shipping cost. On the seller's $5 auction, they are paying almost $2 in fees. If the seller is smart, they will up their shipping quote to $16.50 or $17.00 in this example.

I agree with what you say. There are many issues many of which are outside our control of eBay. Ever look at the back of your electric and/or cable bill? There are more charges associated with taxes and fees than costs associated with actual usage. Yes, personal taxes have NOT been raised but fees associated with government regulations have. I am NOT defending eBay but I can't imagine their operating expenses.

Here's a suggestion, try "media" mail. If magazines are being shipped, its a much more affordable rate. The downside? Its very slow but hey, the buyer won't complain if they save a few bucks.

Jim

trsent
03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I agree with what you say. There are many issues many of which are outside our control of eBay. Ever look at the back of your electric and/or cable bill? There are more charges associated with taxes and fees than costs associated with actual usage. Yes, personal taxes have NOT been raised but fees associated with government regulations have. I am NOT defending eBay but I can't imagine their operating expenses.

Here's a suggestion, try "media" mail. If magazines are being shipped, its a much more affordable rate. The downside? Its very slow but hey, the buyer won't complain if they save a few bucks.

Jim

When you ship your item via Media Mail, if the post office asks what's in the box, don't tell them magazines but state books otherwise magazines don't qualify for Media Mail. I never understood what the difference was from magazines to books shipping bulk flat rare, but they have issues.

trsent
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
To save 20% each month and to receive better search engine exposure, last April I switched to what is now 100% free shipping. I have to start bids at a higher price to protect myself from loss and really, I have fallen for eBay's new concept that that want me to list everything fixed price but my sales have been solid and my monthly bill has not gone that much.

NEFAN
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
To save 20% each month and to receive better search engine exposure, last April I switched to what is now 100% free shipping. I have to start bids at a higher price to protect myself from loss and really, I have fallen for eBay's new concept that that want me to list everything fixed price but my sales have been solid and my monthly bill has not gone that much.

I'm a little confused, if you up the price of the item to cover shipping, then give free shipping, aren't you still paying the same 9% fee?

otismalibu
03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm a little confused, if you up the price of the item to cover shipping, then give free shipping, aren't you still paying the same 9% fee?

I'm reading it as eBay's free shipping incentive has helped offset some of the increased fees. Should never get less than a 5 for the shipping cost grade.

trsent
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Yes, but that doesn't matter - If you charge anything for domestic shipping, you will receive low DSRs and if you offer free shipping, you get an automatic "5" in the shipping and handling charges category. So I pay eBay a fee - The 9% for a store owner I thought was only on the first $50.00 for a sale, then the precentage goes down. You have to control the market these days to make eBay work.

See what eBay's goals are? 100% free shipping.

trsent
03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I remember before eBay required shipping and handling fees to be disclosed upfront, I once bought an item for say, $1.00 with no quoted shipping price. It was for a trading card. The guy wanted $6.00 to ship.

I sent him $1.00 via PayPal and emailed him that he could keep the card as my gift to him.

What could he do?

legaleagle92481
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
i dont sell on ebay anymore apart from the odd charity auction and i dont buy much because ive noticed that stuff i like to buy is rarely on there. when i do buy the items are usually at least a grand so 15-40 dollars in shipping isn't a big deal on top of that. but i remember a few years ago when i used to buy and sell more on there people would use a high shipping cost and a low cost on the item itself to reduce their fees. if this still goes on cant blame ebay for closing this loophole.

trsent
03-21-2011, 11:21 PM
i dont sell on ebay anymore apart from the odd charity auction and i dont buy much because ive noticed that stuff i like to buy is rarely on there. when i do buy the items are usually at least a grand so 15-40 dollars in shipping isn't a big deal on top of that. but i remember a few years ago when i used to buy and sell more on there people would use a high shipping cost and a low cost on the item itself to reduce their fees. if this still goes on cant blame ebay for closing this loophole.

Here is the main people who have created this issue - The guys selling gift cards. I have seen many people selling iTunes gift cards. Say they have a $100.00 value. They offer the item buy-it-now for .99-cents and $90.00 shipping!

This is the group that has led us to the change in eBay's policy on shipping charges being charged a final value fee.

commando
03-22-2011, 01:34 AM
Here is the main people who have created this issue - The guys selling gift cards. I have seen many people selling iTunes gift cards. Say they have a $100.00 value. They offer the item buy-it-now for .99-cents and $90.00 shipping!

This is the group that has led us to the change in eBay's policy on shipping charges being charged a final value fee.

You're obviously right, but these types of auctions were a very small percentage of eBay's biz. Seems like they could have had a guy monitor these gift card auctions (and similar problem auctions) by typing in a keyword or two and scanning the results. Any auction with unreasonable shipping could've been shut down.

I don't want to complain too much.... But I want eBay to remain a reasonable place to buy and sell collectibles, especially the cheap ones. I do collect 1980s baseball cards, ya know! :D

kudu
03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
When you ship your item via Media Mail, if the post office asks what's in the box, don't tell them magazines but state books otherwise magazines don't qualify for Media Mail. I never understood what the difference was from magazines to books shipping bulk flat rare, but they have issues.

I was told by my PO that the advertising in the magazines is the reason why they cannot be shipped media mail.

trsent
03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
You're obviously right, but these types of auctions were a very small percentage of eBay's biz. Seems like they could have had a guy monitor these gift card auctions (and similar problem auctions) by typing in a keyword or two and scanning the results. Any auction with unreasonable shipping could've been shut down.

I don't want to complain too much.... But I want eBay to remain a reasonable place to buy and sell collectibles, especially the cheap ones. I do collect 1980s baseball cards, ya know! :D

I have reported many auctions for excessive shipping, and I have never seen one ended. They take the report and then who knows why I waste my time because I never see results from eBay Trust and Safety.

I was told by my PO that the advertising in the magazines is the reason why they cannot be shipped media mail.

Yes, that is their old rule. Why that matters I have no clue.

sammy
03-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Pretty soon their prices will be up there with auction houses.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

trsent
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM

I think they already are. Free shipping, eBay fees and PayPal fees add up to 20% or more sometimes!

trsent
03-26-2011, 05:58 PM

The only thing eBay has on all the auction houses anymore is the best worldwise exposure available today.

otismalibu
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
The only thing eBay has on all the auction houses anymore is the best worldwise exposure available today.

Can you field emails when your item is up for bid at a major auction house and then end the auction early to grab up a side deal and avoid the juice?