PDA

View Full Version : Video of NFL gamer going to the chopping block

indyred
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Panini on their website has video and pictures of them cutting up Knowshon Moreno hammered jersey he used against Oakland. Interesting stuff
http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/from-filthy-to-fabulous-following-knowshon-morenos-dirty-laundry/#more-4614

34swtns
03-17-2011, 12:00 PM
What a shame.

both-teams-played-hard
03-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Nikki Sixx cuts up jerseys? Glad he found a job.
Swatches, drugs and Rock-n-Roll...

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4193/snapshot20110317102538.png

solarlottry
03-17-2011, 12:36 PM
The real question is how do then get these shirts in the first place to cut up? I know that when buying 49ers gamers i am up against them all the time. From some sellers I am told that if you dont pay what I am asking then the shirt is just going to Panini to get cut up and that they pay and pay well. When a large company is paying over 5 figures for Rice, Young etc it is very difficult to compete with them. The thought of a 1994 Jerry Rice gamer being chopped up just sickens me but it must not bother some sellers at all as Panini does not seem to have a shortage of game used shirts to cut up. I know for a fact of at least one well known company selling gamers to card companies for the sole purpose of being chopped up. Money talks and when the card companies can pay big $$$$ the average collector will be out of luck.

A while back i won a Steve Young 1994 shirt at auction and was told that my main competition was Upper Deck and that they wanted to chop it up. At least one shirt was saved. I know of another 1995 Steve Young that i was also bidding on that I lost to UD as it just got way to pricey. It is such a shame to think that these shirts are gone forever. Moreno will wear many more jerseys but the old stars like Montana, Rice, Emmitt Smith (recently purchased by Panini for 17K! and cut up) and Young wont. This only makes it much harder and way more expensive to find and add these players to ones collection.

Always buying 49ers gamers
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
no wonder the card companies fold. how can they justify the outlay for the jerseys? are that many people clamoring for tiny jersey swatches that they run to buy these products? its not like the swatch is identifible anyway. a red swatch could be from a rice jersey or a retail jersey for all anyone knows. its a shame history is getting ruined.

mad87man
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
It is sad to see some of these jerseys get chopped especially one that looks as nice as that Moreno.

godwulf
03-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I've never understood how the card companies can really profit from the whole "memorabilia card" thing. Does the possibility of a memorabilia card being in any particular pack of a card set really increase sales of those packs to where paying huge amounts for a jersey or bat can be financially justified? When a "rare" card is found, the big profit is turned in the secondary market - Upper Deck doesn't get a cut of that.

godwulf
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Upper Deck doesn't get a cut of that.

No pun intended. :rolleyes:

mad87man
03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I've never understood how the card companies can really profit from the whole "memorabilia card" thing. Does the possibility of a memorabilia card being in any particular pack of a card set really increase sales of those packs to where paying huge amounts for a jersey or bat can be financially justified? When a "rare" card is found, the big profit is turned in the secondary market - Upper Deck doesn't get a cut of that.
Its hard to say really. I got into card collecting last year and noticed people don't even really like jersey cards as much as autographs. Also i am sure these jerseys go to the high priced packs. Some are as much as 200-300$ a pack and you only get 2 cards. So i guess if people know they can pull a Montana or Emmit Smith instead of some no namer it increases peoples interest in them.