PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever received an "outbid" notication ...

Neal
03-17-2011, 05:34 PM
and then several days later receive a winning invoice for that item?

It happened to a buddy of mine this morning.

I was just curious to hear opinions on his responsibility, if any, for paying for the item. I think he "won" it for a good price, but he apparently moved on to another item in another auction after learning he was outbid.

He emailed and called the auction house this morning, and they were in an all day office meeting (coincedently on St Patty's day :)), so I am sure he will have a response tomorrow.

sellingmygamers
03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Yup that's when the other bidder retracted his/her bid.

trsent
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM

I was just curious to hear opinions on his responsibility, if any, for paying for the item. I think he "won" it for a good price, but he apparently moved on to another item in another auction after learning he was outbid.

He emailed and called the auction house this morning, and they were in an all day office meeting (coincedently on St Patty's day :)), so I am sure he will have a response tomorrow.

Generally that happens when the high bidder backs out. I had it happen a few times. Sometimes I still want the item, other times I explain that once I was outbid I was finished.

Mulligans
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes it happened twice to me recently. Once on AMI and I still need to confirm but I believe it also happened on Parragon in their last auction. I'm a bit more skeptical than the guys though......In the case of AMI I feel as though the house was bidding to the reserve and got stuck and then maybe the seller decided that he wanted to sell at my price?

In both cases I inquired, but did not get a response other than I was the high bidder. I said are you sure and they both had similar responses as it's all computerized.......never that someone bailed......just an instant invoice for the items via email?

Call me a pessimist, but I bid on quite a few items and this bidding to the reserve is getting kind of crazy......it just feels like you are always bidding against yourself......:(

sox83cubs84
03-17-2011, 08:17 PM

I have the feeling that the auction house folks were enjoying "Miller Time".:p

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
03-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Tell him to check the auction rules. Generally I would say absent something specfically in the rules that you agree to in order to be allowed to bid you are not obligated to honor your bid once you are outbid if for some reason the high bidder won't complete the purchase. Its not fair to the bidder otherwise as lets say you like two items in the auction can only afford one and bid on one you like slightly more, your maximum bid is eclipsed and you decide to use that money to bid on and win the other item. How fair is it then that the winner backs out of the one you were outbid on and you get stuck with both?