PDA

View Full Version : New book on g-u and practice baseballs

coxfan
03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I've just bought a newly-published book with more than 350 pages specializing in MLB baseballs ( not the game, but the physical balls themselves). It's called "The Baseball: Stunts, Scandals, and Secrets Beneath the Stitches". By Zack Hample, Anchor Books ( a division of Random House, Inc) 2011.

The book deals in detail with many aspects of MLB balls. Included is a detailed description of their manufacture from the delivery of materials, through to their testing and sorting into game and practice balls. The application of mud (too much or too little) is discussed with comments from a fellow who rubs them up. Tips on how to get balls are given by the author, who claims to have gotten thousands. Batting practice ins and outs is addressed in detail, respecting how best to get BP balls.

The evolution of balls from 1847 until today is discussed: it seems the "lively" question goes all the way back. Various parks, famous ballhawks, and famous balls are covered. Commemorative logos are addressed, and much more.

The book has numerous photos and a great index. Curiously, authentication is only briefly mentioned; the author is a ball catcher, not a ball-buyer.

This book is, I think, a useful reference for ball collectors like me. I got my copy off the shelf at a Book-A-Million.