PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Duke Snider Bat Restoration

MSpecht
03-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Collectors often ask me whether it is advisable to have a bat repaired or restored, and if so, who can do it. Here are two people whom I am comfortable in recommending, although I have only used one of them myself. First, I have seen several examples of Steve Abramson's work. He does repairs and restorations for JT Sports (John Taube) and the examples I have seen are first-rate.

This month I sent a 1950- 1960 Duke Snider bat to Fred Lowman at "Crack of the Bat" that was in need of some serious restoration. The bat had a piece chipped off the knob, as well as the dreaded 'piece missing' off the the back of the barrel along the grain. Below are pictures of the results, and I could not be more pleased. In addition to outstanding craftsmanship, Fred is one of the most stand-up people in the hobby. You have to appreciate any person who will not invoice you or accept payment "until the bat is completed, returned to you, and you are satisfied with the work."

For future reference, Steve can be reached at 570-897-7226 , and Fred can be reached at 860-379 7094.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

therealaxis
03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow that is an amazing job,I know who I will be calling for any future restoration needs!

gnishiyama
03-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I have used Fred's service many times and have NEVER been disappointed.
Great, friendly guy. Very reasonable pricing and easy to work with.:)
Goh Nishiyama

Birdbats
03-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Fred and Steve are both great to work with. If a repair is beyond my skill level, they're the guys I go to.

b.heagy
03-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I know of two collectors that use Fred for their bat restorations frequently and am always in awe at the finished product. Always a pleasure to see a bat first hand that needs some TLC and see it revived back to life after a short period of time. Keep up the good work guys !

Neal
03-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Very nice!
Steve also makes some very nice Spalding bat rack repros - I own one, and it is top notch!

AWA85
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I will join the part on this one, I recently had a rookie bat that was put together very poorly by the previous owner. This bat went from 2 pieces which were very poorly put together to an amazing gamer with absolutely no visible sign of past break. Fred did an amazing job and his work as well as customer service is top notch.

jbbaseball
03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I have made use of Fred Lowman's unique services for many, many years and have never, ever been disappointed with the results.

Fred not only is a master craftsman, but one of the nicest guys imaginable. Over the years we have become good friends, and he always wonderful to work with.

I could not recommend anyone more than I recommend Fred to all who need a bat repaired.

In the years Fred has assisted me, there has yet to be a bat problem that Fred could not overcome. I simply would not have been able to assemble the bat collection I have (which include many very early model ones) if Fred had not been able to rescue so many of the damaged pieces of lumber that I have send to him for repair.

If anyone would like any further info about Fred, do not hesitate to contact me at my office: 215-735-3215.

-Howard Goldstein

Bat racks
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanx for the kind words. I enjoy restoring these vintage bats as much as you guys enjoy getting them back. Look at these pics of a Mickey Owens bat that was being used a stair balistar. Knob & Barrell were cut off. See befores & afters. Thanx, Steve Abramson

Bat racks
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry, Afters were off a Lou Brock That was sawed in half and mounted on wall. Here are the afters on Owens. Better on woodwork than computers.