PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on getting this Jersey signed?

Mulligans
03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Normally....I get a good feeling on how to get a Jersey signed, but I am really struggling on this one!......And I mean really struggling!

Do I sign the Front or the back? Normally, I would sign the back with the name plate, but on this one I'm leaning towards signing the front (because of the team name and it was a memorable event)....but where do I sign it? The letters are pretty thin and the white material is like nothing I have seen before on any sports Jersey.....It is some sort of light weight spandex material?.....Certainly nothing that I have seen on any hockey Jersey. I'm pretty sure it will hold a sharpie, but not a paint pen. The Front letters will hold a paint pen but they are awfully small letters to say anything meaningful?

Oh yea....I forgot to say that I am getting it framed and thats why I'm leaning towards signing the front.....any thoughts? If I sign the back....noone will ever know what it is from?

Anyone sign one of these yet?.....Oh yea.....please don't tell me not to get it signed as I am from the GU signing camp and get great satisfaction watching the players face when it is presented to him!:)

Sorry for rambling.......

mad87man
03-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Don't get it signed ;) Just kidding. It is kind of tough. Where on the front would you get it signed? I think the back b/c you can get a nice autograph on the numbers.

Mulligans
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
The back makes sense, but then once it is framed, you would never know that it is a USA Olympic Hockey Jersey......and the colors give you no indication of what it is.....If it was a Bruins Jersey or a Bengals Jersey, it would be a dead giveaway with the colors, but not on this one!

cjw
03-19-2011, 01:03 AM
JusT a suggestion, but a buddy of mine had the same dilemma and decided to get the sig on the end on the arm; then he could fold it in way that it could be displayed on either side that was visible (he had it hung in a jersey case but could flip the jersey and reposition the arm and signature with a pin any way he wanted. Not an approach that everyone would like but it looks good.

woody1351
03-19-2011, 08:19 AM
if hes not in a big rush when signing your jersey have him sign the front and back.

chd49er
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
You can't go wrong with having the front and back signed. This always gives you the option of displaying either side while always being able to display the signature.

Personally, I am not a big fan of framing jerseys for a few reasons. One, depending on how it is framed / folded, the folds can create permanent creases and more stress on those areas over time causing permanent damage. Two, as you said, you can only see one side of the jersey. Three, if you ever want display the other side, then you have to have it reframed.

I like to display jerseys on the mannequin type upper body from the waist to the tops of shoulders. This gives you much more flexibility on how you display your jersey now and allows for many other options for future display changes.

This is just my personal preference.

Clay
PAYING BIG $$$$$$ FOR 1995 AND OTHER 49ER GAMERS!!!!!
cdubois@carolina.rr.com

Klattsy
03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Sign the back and then frame it with a photo of him wearing if front on?

legaleagle92481
03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
My theory sign the front. Have him add his uniform number so people will know whose jersey it is since most hockey players write like doctors. The back signed displayed loses the appreciation for the item because your right you can't tell what the heck it is by the back. Plus Thomas is such a common name people have no idea which Thomas just by seeing that on the back.

mlupo
03-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Just a few things I would like to add....
I wouldn't display the front, I personally dont like the idea of showing the front of a jerseys, but especially not a jersey that does not have a number on the front. To me it just looks like a blank retail jersey in a frame. As long as it have a Name On Back, I like to show off the back. I think it is pretty easy to tell it is a USA jersey from the back, at least much easier than trying to see it is a Thomas from looking at the front(even with a front auto).

No matter what side you decide to display, just make sure you get the autograph on that side so it is visible. I have seen some people get GU jerseys signed on the inside so it is not visible, I dont really get the logic...if you don't want people to see the autograph, then just don't get it signed, and what is the point of having it signed if you can't see it?

If it were my jersey I would get it signed on the back on one of the numbers and put it in a frame and display the back so you can see the name and the autograph. I would also go to a trophy shop and have a nice large metal trophy plate made up that includes info like this:
"Tim Thomas
Game Used Jersey
2010 Vancouver Olympics
Used Vs.(whatever game it was used, if you know)"

and apply the plate to the glass at the bottom og the jersey. Finally I would get a pic of him wearing the jersey and put it in a different frame and put it next to your framed jersey(I personally think photos framed TOGETHER with jerseys in the same frame tend to distract from the jersey).

Hope that helps :)

cohibasmoker
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
if hes not in a big rush when signing your jersey have him sign the front and back.

That's what I would do. If not, have him sign the shoulder area and you can rotate the jersey to display the signature either from the front or back. Or as another member said, have him sign an sleeve of the jersey.

Jim

BU54CB
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
If it was me, I'd have it signed on the back. For my taste, the back numbers provide better opportunities to sign and room for an inscription, you could have him add something USA related.

I think most would realize its an Team USA jersey just by the colors. If you have him sign the front, you wouldn't know who the jersey belonged to, that's one of the most important things about a jersey is who wore it.

Is the jersey game used from the Olympics?

Mulligans
03-21-2011, 09:43 AM
It is his GU Jersey from the 2010 Olympics that I picked up through Meigrey.

Thomas was 2nd Goalie for that Game, so it has been virtually impossible to get any good photos. That being said, it is still a great one and the only Jersey of its kind.

Everyone has had some great input on this one and I think I'm getting close, but still not an easy decision. I have signed many a Jersey on the material in Sharpie.....some great and some not so great so I am a bit concerned with the material as it might bleed. It's made of thin white spandex. I may even do a test in some hidden area.

I'm leaning towards the back number in Silver paint pen or Black sharpie with something describing the game, Vancouver, etc as MLupo suggested.

I'll post photos as soon as its complete!:)

Mulligans
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Well.....As promised, here it is. He struggled a bit writing on the weird fabric, but not at all bad.

I'll post pictures once it is framed.

Thanks for all your help!

Jeff

LWMM
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Looks good! I like the choice to get it signed on the front, and the red ink goes nicely.