PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bagwell batting helmet

Bigcatbaseball
03-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Anyone out there have an opinion on the Bagwell batting helmet on ebay?

frikativ54
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
While I am not an expert on batting helmets, I asked a dealer I know about it, and he told me to stay away. The use on the inner padding would indicate that the helmet was possibly used and reused in the minors; the dealer said that the use bordered on excessive.

I don't know for sure, but the helmet has kept going down in price. If it had ironclad provenance, then why would it be listed for roughly $1500 and now only be on auction for $399? It looks like the seller is trying to unload the helmet, and that doesn't seem to be a good sign.

I've discussed the helmet with the seller, and I don't believe he contrived use on it. He bought it from someone else and is now trying to sell. IMO, I would pass it up and would buy something with MLB authentication or a team letter. That's the only way to be 100% safe with items these days.

-Frik

Bigcatbaseball
03-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, I knew there would be some good information out there on this item. Once again, good advice from the GUU family.

MikeSharon
03-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Im going to have to disagree bagwell and biggio were both know for wearing out the equipment they really liked thats why you see bagwell bats that are either destroyed with use or have almost none. As far as wanting something with a team letter or MLB auth, keep in mind that the auth program didnt start till very late in his career, and the Astros were very late to selling things on the collectibles market most of their bulk sales included a very general letter with no specifics about individual items. From the other Astros helments i have had it looks good I tried to trade for it when he had it listed at 599 but couldnt get it done.

Mike Sharon

Les if you see this about the bagwell cleats i just have not had time to figure out what i want to do with them and i know they were not the personalized cleats thats not what he wore in 1994

CampWest
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Sold in a regular auction today for $665...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-Jeff-Bagwell-GAME-USED-Helmet-MVP-YR-Signed-Astros-/120702410543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a6c9f2f

Crazy, goes unsold at 579, 499, 399... List it at $1 with no reserve a couple days later and it goes for 665.

Just another great example of the mind of the ebayer.

I for one was never interested, even though the price of 399 was very good. I just never felt right about the helmet.