PDA

View Full Version : Football Helmet Question

Eric
08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
If a football helmet has a recertified sticker, does that add to the credibility of it being an NFL model?

I guess what I'm asking is- Is a recertification sticker a sign that something has a better chance to being the real thing?

Do non NFL helmets- college, high school etc, get recertified?

Thanks
Eric

scottanservitz
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Eric,
I coached high school football for 10 years and yes, the helmets get reconditioned every year after use. The company takes them apart and checks for any cracks or damage to the shell and all the pads. If the helmet sees any action it gets reconditioned at the conclusion of the season. As for authenticity, I think this would not hurt. But doesn't the NFL replace helmets year to year? Cost in that instance wouldn't be an issue as it would for a high school. Helmets go for big bucks. Hope this helps.
Scott

Tedw9
09-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any more information on this. Does the recertified stickers increase the chance of the helmet being "real"? And do teams replace helmets each year?

And what about training camps? Obviously when training camp starts there are alot more players than when final cuts come. So there is alot of spare equipment once players are cut. Do teams reuse the helmets year to year?

Tedw9
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
To sorta answer one of the questions, some players treat their helmets like baseball players treat their gloves, the keep them for as long as possible. Here is a quote from USA Today February 22, 2006.

Carolina defensive tackle Brentson Buckner (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=2376) has owned one helmet since he joined the Panthers in 2001. "Even the padding's the same," he says. "I try to keep the same face mask, too, but (equipment manager) Jackie (Miles) always sneaks and changes that."

So I guess teams do not buy new helmets each year and do have them recertified. Or at least that is what I got out of that statement.