Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwolfe12345
    • Sep 2006

Players first MLB hit

I was just curious to see if anyone out in the game used land has a players first MLB hit? I got an email from the Braves last week and they were selling Barbaro Canizare's first MLB hit and I decided to purchase it. I'm sure it's not worth much since he is not a household name but still kind of cool to have. If I have the chance I will probably just give it to him and hope that he will trade me a bat or cleats for it.
  • LastingsMilledge85
    • May 2009

Re: Players first MLB hit

I have a jersey from a player's first MLB hit, if that counts?

Comment

• coxfan
      • Feb 2009

If you mean the ball he hit, that's odd. For years, it's been customary for the player to be given the ball on the spot. Has that changed? How could the team be selling it?

Comment

• dwolfe12345
        • Sep 2006

I always thought they gave it to the player as well. Even the MLB hologram says Barbaro Canizares First MLB Hit when entered into the database.

Comment

• ballhawknet
          • Nov 2007

I love telling this story , so since you asked here it is

9/2/02 Wrigley Field

With the Cubs beating up the Brewers 17-1 in the 8th Bill Hall came up with a man on . I was like , who the hell is Bill Hall ... lol ( I guess I missed his earlier at bat when he came in to take over at shortstop )

My buddy Butch replied that he saw Bill in Indy at Triple A earlier in the season , " short guy , no power " . After watching the replay it appears as if Bill was trying to tie the game with one swing , launching the ball high over the bleachers , flipping his bat to the ground and doing a sort of Sammy Sosa like hop as he admired his shot .... then realizing he was in the big leagues ... took off running like he was trying to leg out a triple .. lol.

The ball bounced in the street , again we were not really paying attention at this point , and I moved ten feet to my right and made the grab ... as I don't think any of the ballhawks even moved .

Of course I immediately thought it might be his first home run , not even thinking of the possibility it was his first hit . I wouldn't find that out until later that night.

Long story short , I know too late , the traveling Secretary of the Brewers (Jim I think his name was ) came out and asked who had it and what they wanted in return . My reply ? Night game tomorrow , how bout we take bp , me and Bill , say around noon on the field . Jim laughed and said it wasn't going to happen , and Bill " didn't need the ball that bad "

Next day I see Bill , to give him back the ball ( free of charge by the way ... first home run belongs to the player imo ) and he says he already has the ball . wtf ???? So evidently Jim game him another ball ...what a jag-off !!

So I tell Bill the story , and I really don't think he believes me ...why would he I guess . If he believed I had the real ball I would have given it too him , but If he doesn't why give it to him and have him toss it away ?

So I still have it
          Attached Files

Comment

• dwolfe12345
            • Sep 2006

How strange is this!

Looks like the ball made it to the dugout.

Comment

• ballhawknet
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dwolfe12345
              How strange is this!

Looks like the ball made it to the dugout.

Why would it be strange ? Or do mean its strange he didn't keep it ?

What does the mlb database say exactly ... do you have the link or mlb number ?

Comment

• dwolfe12345
                • Sep 2006

It's strange he didn't keep it. I wonder if this could be a similar situation to you ballhawk. Maybe they just gave him the wrong ball. I believe when a ball gets authenticated by MLB don't they have a person at the game that takes it and puts the hologram on it? The actual ball should be in tomorrow so I will have the MLB database number and some pics of it. When Lisa sent out her email it was labeled as Barbaro's first hit. Also that is what the ball is listed as in the database.

Comment

• ballhawknet
                  • Nov 2007

I believe when a ball gets authenticated by MLB don't they have a person at the game that takes it and puts the hologram on it? The actual ball should be in tomorrow so I will have the MLB database number and some pics of it. When Lisa sent out her email it was labeled as Barbaro's first hit. Also that is what the ball is listed as in the database.[/quote]

How did you find out about it ? Was it listed on the website ? Maybe it is a case of it being from his " first hit game " . Ive seen that many times where mlb does a poor job in their descriptions. I look forward to seeing it and the database info.

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                    • Aug 2007

i have the bat smoak used for his first career hit and first career hr. With the spring he is having i might go ahead and use it for fire wood later in the year.
                    Baseball do what it do
                    -Ron Washington

Comment

• mfsquirrelmaster
                      • Jan 2007

Not his first hit but his only home run. I've got the Stan Jok 1955 home run ball. If I remember correctly he only had like three hits total in his two seasons.

Comment

• coxfan
                        • Feb 2009

I'd be very interested to see the hologram number and look at how it's documented. If there's a question, you might try to ask Lisa about it. However, my experience is that even the most competent and motivated retailer is poorly informed about g-u items, because the club doesn't pass the info on efficiently to those selling it.

Comment

• dwolfe12345
                          • Sep 2006

Here you go folks!

LH 037464

Hologram number LH037464 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
                          Session Product Description:

Session Name: PIT AT ATL
                          Session Date: June 11, 2009
                          Autographer:
                          Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
                          Additional Information: BRAVES BARBARO CANIZARES 1ST ML HIT.

I also just got an email back from Lisa stating it ws indeed his first MLB hit baseball.

Comment

• ifirocked
                            • Dec 2007

I have seen this before and hate how it's worded. This ball is from his first hit game, but not the actual "HIT BALL". If you look up holograms LH 037643-47 they all have the same listing. I have seen people trying to sell HR and hit balls like this also on ebay. Always look up around the hologram # to make sure there are not 4, 5, or more of the same listed ball.

Comment

• dwolfe12345
                              • Sep 2006

I reached out to the Gwinett Braves to see if Barbaro wanted the ball. Here is the response I got from them.

"Mr. Wolfe,
                              I appreciate you reaching out to us on this matter. I spoke with Barbaro about it today and he is just one of those guys that does not collect things like that so he does not want it.
                              Thanks again and Go Braves!!!"

Comment

Working...