PDA

View Full Version : Players first MLB hit

dwolfe12345
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I was just curious to see if anyone out in the game used land has a players first MLB hit? I got an email from the Braves last week and they were selling Barbaro Canizare's first MLB hit and I decided to purchase it. I'm sure it's not worth much since he is not a household name but still kind of cool to have. If I have the chance I will probably just give it to him and hope that he will trade me a bat or cleats for it.

LastingsMilledge85
03-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I have a jersey from a player's first MLB hit, if that counts?

coxfan
03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
If you mean the ball he hit, that's odd. For years, it's been customary for the player to be given the ball on the spot. Has that changed? How could the team be selling it?

dwolfe12345
03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I always thought they gave it to the player as well. Even the MLB hologram says Barbaro Canizares First MLB Hit when entered into the database.

ballhawknet
03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I love telling this story , so since you asked here it is :)

9/2/02 Wrigley Field

With the Cubs beating up the Brewers 17-1 in the 8th Bill Hall came up with a man on . I was like , who the hell is Bill Hall ... lol ( I guess I missed his earlier at bat when he came in to take over at shortstop )

My buddy Butch replied that he saw Bill in Indy at Triple A earlier in the season , " short guy , no power " . After watching the replay it appears as if Bill was trying to tie the game with one swing , launching the ball high over the bleachers , flipping his bat to the ground and doing a sort of Sammy Sosa like hop as he admired his shot .... then realizing he was in the big leagues ... took off running like he was trying to leg out a triple .. lol.

The ball bounced in the street , again we were not really paying attention at this point , and I moved ten feet to my right and made the grab ... as I don't think any of the ballhawks even moved .

Of course I immediately thought it might be his first home run , not even thinking of the possibility it was his first hit . I wouldn't find that out until later that night.

Long story short , I know too late , the traveling Secretary of the Brewers (Jim I think his name was ) came out and asked who had it and what they wanted in return . My reply ? Night game tomorrow , how bout we take bp , me and Bill , say around noon on the field :D. Jim laughed and said it wasn't going to happen , and Bill " didn't need the ball that bad "

Next day I see Bill , to give him back the ball ( free of charge by the way ... first home run belongs to the player imo ) and he says he already has the ball . wtf ???? So evidently Jim game him another ball ...what a jag-off !!

So I tell Bill the story , and I really don't think he believes me ...why would he I guess . If he believed I had the real ball I would have given it too him , but If he doesn't why give it to him and have him toss it away ?

So I still have it :)

dwolfe12345
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
How strange is this!

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4991553

Looks like the ball made it to the dugout.

ballhawknet
03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
How strange is this!

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4991553

Looks like the ball made it to the dugout.

Why would it be strange ? Or do mean its strange he didn't keep it ?

What does the mlb database say exactly ... do you have the link or mlb number ?

dwolfe12345
03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
It's strange he didn't keep it. I wonder if this could be a similar situation to you ballhawk. Maybe they just gave him the wrong ball. I believe when a ball gets authenticated by MLB don't they have a person at the game that takes it and puts the hologram on it? The actual ball should be in tomorrow so I will have the MLB database number and some pics of it. When Lisa sent out her email it was labeled as Barbaro's first hit. Also that is what the ball is listed as in the database.

ballhawknet
03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I believe when a ball gets authenticated by MLB don't they have a person at the game that takes it and puts the hologram on it? The actual ball should be in tomorrow so I will have the MLB database number and some pics of it. When Lisa sent out her email it was labeled as Barbaro's first hit. Also that is what the ball is listed as in the database.[/quote]

How did you find out about it ? Was it listed on the website ? Maybe it is a case of it being from his " first hit game " . Ive seen that many times where mlb does a poor job in their descriptions. I look forward to seeing it and the database info.

Fnazxc0114
03-21-2011, 07:57 PM
i have the bat smoak used for his first career hit and first career hr. With the spring he is having i might go ahead and use it for fire wood later in the year.

mfsquirrelmaster
03-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Not his first hit but his only home run. I've got the Stan Jok 1955 home run ball. If I remember correctly he only had like three hits total in his two seasons.

coxfan
03-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd be very interested to see the hologram number and look at how it's documented. If there's a question, you might try to ask Lisa about it. However, my experience is that even the most competent and motivated retailer is poorly informed about g-u items, because the club doesn't pass the info on efficiently to those selling it.

dwolfe12345
03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Here you go folks!

LH 037464

Hologram number LH037464 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: PIT AT ATL
Session Date: June 11, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BRAVES BARBARO CANIZARES 1ST ML HIT.

I also just got an email back from Lisa stating it ws indeed his first MLB hit baseball.

ifirocked
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I have seen this before and hate how it's worded. This ball is from his first hit game, but not the actual "HIT BALL". If you look up holograms LH 037643-47 they all have the same listing. I have seen people trying to sell HR and hit balls like this also on ebay. Always look up around the hologram # to make sure there are not 4, 5, or more of the same listed ball.

dwolfe12345
03-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I reached out to the Gwinett Braves to see if Barbaro wanted the ball. Here is the response I got from them.

"Mr. Wolfe,
I appreciate you reaching out to us on this matter. I spoke with Barbaro about it today and he is just one of those guys that does not collect things like that so he does not want it.
Thanks again and Go Braves!!!"

Jags Fan Dan
03-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I have seen this before and hate how it's worded. This ball is from his first hit game, but not the actual "HIT BALL". If you look up holograms LH 037643-47 they all have the same listing. I have seen people trying to sell HR and hit balls like this also on ebay. Always look up around the hologram # to make sure there are not 4, 5, or more of the same listed ball.
Wow, that is really a poor way to authenticate multiple baseballs from the same game. You don't have to be a collector to see where this would confuse people or facilitate people mis-representing items.

dwolfe12345
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
The Braves are saying it is his first hit:

Definitely! The hologram number is LH 037464. Let me know if you have
any additional questions!
Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfe, Dustin B [mailto:Dustin.Wolfe@ehi.com (https://webmail.erac.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=eb029d5c6d8544de942cff8caf7378cc&URL=mailto%3aDustin.Wolfe%40ehi.com)]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:59 PM
To: Wessinger, Lisa
Subject: RE: ST. PATRICK'S DAY SALE!

Lisa,
The ball I purchased is Barbaro Canizares first hit correct? I was
looking on MLB TV and found the hit. It looked like it was given back to
him. Can you forward me the MLB hologram
number or the attachment you sent me before so I can look it up?
Thanks for any help!
Dustin Wolfe

LastingsMilledge85
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM

I have to believe you are right. I bet you if you ask the Braves about someone that has a ball LH037465 and the following turns up:

Hologram number LH037465 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.

Autographer:

The Braves would tell you that it is his first hit because let's be honest, they really don't know what they are talking about aside from what is listed in the database. I would chalk this one up as another example of an authenticator lacking description of the item making the whole thing deceiving. Having the codes LH037463 through LH037468 as Barbaro Canizares' first ML Hit doesn't add up, there can only be one hit.

LastingsMilledge85
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
That should read LH037463 through LH037466. Sorry for the mistake

coxfan
03-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Checking the sequence of hologram numbers around your item almost always gives useful added info, such as on the rarity of your item. For example, when I bought an ALCS game 2 ball from the Rangers, I found it interesting that they authenticated 55 balls from that game. I determined thast just by going through the hologram sequences. Since those balls were specific regarding how they were used in the game, I could judge the relative importance of my ball versus the others.

Most regular games have six authenticated balls, but this is increased for special events. Sometimes, ( but not always) consecutive games in a series in the same city continue the same hologram sequence. If the ball's specific use is given, checking against MLB's "Gameday" gives even more info, and helps check for clerical errors by authenticators ( such as using incorrect terminology or giving the wrong inning).

allstarsplus
03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
I have to believe you are right. I bet you if you ask the Braves about someone that has a ball LH037465 and the following turns up:

Hologram number LH037465 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.

Autographer:

The Braves would tell you that it is his first hit because let's be honest, they really don't know what they are talking about aside from what is listed in the database. I would chalk this one up as another example of an authenticator lacking description of the item making the whole thing deceiving. Having the codes LH037463 through LH037468 as Barbaro Canizares' first ML Hit doesn't add up, there can only be one hit.

His 1st hit was actually LH037463 as that is under the PLAYER COLLECTED database just like 1st HR balls usually are or they should at least include crystal clear language that it is the actual baseball.

Hologram number LH037463 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under PLAYER COLLECTED BASEBALL.

Autographer:

allstarsplus
03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Here is Adam Dunn's 1st HR as a Washington National player in 2009. The ball was caught by a fan and collected by stadium officials. The clubhouse manager then wrote the stats on the ball and presented it to Adam Dunn.

Hologram number LH280810 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under PLAYER COLLECTED HR BALL.

Session Name: WSH AT FLA
Session Date: April 06, 2009
Autographer:
Additional Information: BATTER: ADAM DUNN, PITCHER: RICKY NOLASCO, TOP 6TH, 3 RUN HR

ballhawknet
03-23-2011, 10:00 AM
I had a bad feeling that this was going to be the result.

So many people involved are clueless as to what they are employed to do , or just have bad information , or just flat out mislead buyers on purpose .

I find it hard to believe that the persons who type these descriptions cant see that it is going to be confusing for the buyer ... as we have a perfect example here.

And another thing that gets me , that seems so simple yet they have yet to catch on ... is when a ball is fouled off , or in the dirt , or whatever reason is removed from the game ...they often write down the result of that pitch , when in fact if you go back a few pitches you will see that Jeter or whomever hit that ball for a double or triple or whatever. It is just lazy to not document these baseballs better than they do.

Id bet 100 bucks BARBARO CANIZARES has his first hit and it has not been auctioned anywhere.

sox83cubs84
03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
And another thing that gets me , that seems so simple yet they have yet to catch on ... is when a ball is fouled off , or in the dirt , or whatever reason is removed from the game ...they often write down the result of that pitch , when in fact if you go back a few pitches you will see that Jeter or whomever hit that ball for a double or triple or whatever. It is just lazy to not document these baseballs better than they do.

Dave D., you have that one right. I once got a Juan Gonzalez home run ball at Comiskey Park in the late 1990s (traded a fan for it; didn't catch it myself). The same ball was used as the last ball used in the previous at-bat, which was a Luis Alicea triple. Not as big a deal as a Juan Gone homer, but still worth noting.

Dave Miedema