PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Opinions: Game Used Jerseys Signed

hardy123456
03-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello GU Universe!

I have some game used jerseys and was concidering getting them signed by the players who wore them. My question to all of you is should I just keep them unsigned or does the value of the jersey increase or decrease if they are signed by the player?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!:)

CampWest
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
As long as its a good signature, yes get them signed would be my preference. As long as the signature is done properly and does not bleed excessively, broken-sloppy signature, or somehow ruin the aesthetics, I think a good signature is always better than no signature.

If you were getting a Ted Williams jersey/bat, would you prefer it signed or unsigned? For me thats a super easy choice. Signed! I don't see why any other player would have a different answer.

There are some who prefer items as pristine as possible, but I never feel that a good autograph is a detraction.

I cannot think of many cases where a signature would decrease value, but the amount of increase depends on the player, their age and health, etc.

legaleagle92481
03-22-2011, 10:34 AM
unsigned. alot of collectors prefer them as they were on field so imo it lowers the value. plus every guy today signs alot so what are you adding really? plus you have chance to damage item. if guys hands are dirty and he touches white jersey or the sig. bleeds later.

Jags Fan Dan
03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I agree, unless it is something that you can say with absolute certainty that you will never want or need to liquidate it, keep it unsigned. You limit your scope of potential buyers once it is signed and as legal said, there are plenty of guys who just won't touch a signed jersey.

Mulligans
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
When I Buy a Jersey from NFL Auctions, I could care less if its signed. Its more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Having said that.... In my opinion there is no better day then standing in line to have a player sign a special Jersey with a special inscription. The player loves it and you will cherish it forever! I have a few beauties that I would never exchange for an unsigned one! I'm in my mid 40's and this NEVER gets old!

As much as I love the whole experience, I would never have a player sign "Game Used" just for the heck of it.....I would only use those words to try to gain credibility with my authenticity. I've seen guys pick up Jerseys from MLB and NFL and then they have them signed GU? Why would you want to detract from a piece that you already know is game used?

Either way....I know that there are 100's of opinions on this topic and there is certainly no perfect way of doing it.....

Good Luck Hardy!