PDA

View Full Version : Poorly done fake game worn helmets on ebay...

Shipp_96
03-24-2011, 09:09 AM
This is not the first time I have seen bad fakes, but these strike a nerve with me, as I collect both Penn State University (my alma mater) and the Naval Academy, as we live in Annapolis. The NAVY is not only a fake, but a poorly done one. I wrote the seller this:

"Dear nino2521,

Maybe you are unaware, but this is NOT game worn, issued or from the team. This DID NOT come from the NAVY equipment room, as I personally buy from the Academy every year in Annapolis. I own two of their game worn helmets, and the color is wrong, ALL of the stickers are misplaced and completely inaccurate.

I suggest you pull this and not let these buyers purchase a fake item. This is not only a fake, but a poorly done fake. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are simply misinformed."

This was his response:

"The helmet IS authentic, and IS from the Navy equipment room. I worked at Navy Athletics from 2001-2004, I know most if not all the people in the Athletic Dept, and the head equipment manager is a good friend of mine. This helmet is from the early 2000's so it might not be the same hue of gold that the team wears now (and that you have), which matches the Nike Vegas Gold on their uniforms.

Thanks for your concern, but I don't, and never would, post a fake item on eBay and I have way too much respect and admiration for the Academy to post a non-legitimate Navy item. My bidders have absolutely nothing to worry about."

I also reported it to Ebay, but like most everything with them these days, it has done no good. His excuses are right in line with a liar, he worked there, he knows a friend, for some reason the paint is incorrect.

I have personally talked to the equipment manager at the Academy when I go to their sales, and he takes pride in the fact no one can replicate the gold they use. I actually bought a Riddell mini and authentic retail, and sure enough they are more greenish gold, without the gold flakes being seen.

This is the link to his auction to his auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260756783676&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Here are the photos from his auction. As you can see, the stickers are incorrectly stacked and misplaced, the NAVY font of his is even wrong. These are photos from his auction:http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqV,%21jcE2HgK4QrpBNh+H%28O2zQ%7E%7E_12.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqF,%21jkE2HRjbf%21KBNh+HmcpcQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

Below are photos of MY NAVY helmets, picked out of a bin in Annapolis during the Academy's April garage sale by me personally:

Here is also an image from Getty (below) from the time he "claims" he "worked" there, my stickers match (his do not), but are placed different (see the video image I inserted) by 2008, which is the year they have inside being re-certified. His do not match up in ANY pictures you will find. He also has a Penn State helmet with issues, but I guess he worked there too. Right...