PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Bob Rush

sox83cubs84
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Bob Rush, a MLB pitcher, mainly as a starter from 1948-60, died March 19 at age 85.

Rush spent the bulk of his career with the Cubs during their poor years in the late 1940s and 1950s. He did get to one World Series however, in 1958, when he went 10-6 for the Milwaukee Braves, who lost a World Series rematch that year against the Yankees. He stayed in Milwaukee until the middle of the 1960 season, when he went back to Chicago, and finished his career with 9 games wearing a White Sox uniform.

Personal recollection: Rush, even in later years a physically formidable guy, approached me by my 3rd base foul line ballhawking spot at Wrigley Field back in 1994, and asked me if I had seen Moe Drabowsky yet. At the time, I hadn't. Rush mentioned "I used to play with him". I didn't recognize him, but asked his name. He introduced himself, and I recalled snippets of his career, which he seemed pleased with insofar as to being remembered. The rest of the crowd around me at the time was kids and 20- and 30-something adults, none of whom had a clue that there was a former Cubs pitcher in their midst. And, yes, Rush did pitch for the Cubs alongside Drabowsky (who later did show up and chewed the fat with Rush) in 1956-57.

Dave Miedema