PDA

View Full Version : NBA Auction Question

jmwinterton7
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
For the NBA Action All Star items on http://auctions.nba.com/, there are a lot of nice game used warm up shirts, shorts and jersey's worn during the skill contests. All the jerseys that were actually worn during the All Star game would most likely be out of my price range so I showed interest in some of the other All Star Items - warm up shirts, skill jerseys, etc..... If you look at all the All Star items that were not actually used during the game, they all have the same individual 'gamewornfan' as the highest bidder. All of them. I have placed a few bids and the price keeps going up. This individual is always the highest bidder. Now, maybe this individual is the real deal and is a power collector. I give them lots of props cause they would have an awesome NBA collection! But if not, is this individual there just to raise prices on these items? Is it kind of like the reserve price on ebay? I was just curious on other peoples thoughts.

I apologize if this question is in the wrong discussion. They are game used items but can easily fall under the Auction Item Discussion as well.

Mulligans
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
It is a fair question....The bidder is real and has a GREAT collection. There are 2 major bidders that tend to go after certain high end pieces aggressively. I have a feeling that these 2 people are actually one guy and God Bless him because he has an insane collection!:D

Now here is the good part.....He has scared everyone away and if you are persistent you can get some nice items at good prices. I bought a bunch of "Rookie and Slam dunk shooting shirts for $150 each last year. I bought a 2008 Celtics Final Ball for under $500 while the Lakers 2010 ball went for like $7000 in the same Auction. I also got Shaq's Phoenix Jacket 2 seasons ago for $300. It seemed like guys just fall asleep?

Either way....hang in there, you might be surprised??

GOOD LUCK!

jmwinterton7
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Thank you very much for all the information, advice and support! I was just curious cause the bidders name was everywhere.

Those are some great deals you found which is comforting - Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have a nice collection too.

If you are bidding on anything, good luck to you as well! Have an awesome day

jppopma
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Nice pickups Mulligans. I don't think that he goes after the shooting shirts or game issued jerseys.

I too have resolved to pick up what scraps are left, just to get a piece of something.

yankees24
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Looks like some of these jerseys are now starting to see the light of day and being flipped on Ebay for more than they were won on NBA Auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Game-Used-Memorabilia-/50116/i.html?_ipg=25&_sop=16&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=theamericanmuseum

legaleagle92481
05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Looks like some of these jerseys are now starting to see the light of day and being flipped on Ebay for more than they were won on NBA Auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Game-Used-Memorabilia-/50116/i.html?_ipg=25&_sop=16&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=theamericanmuseum

Those aren't NBA auction jerseys for the most part. Those were sold on MEIgray's website for a fixed price. He is asking a markup though in many cases a large one.

legaleagle92481
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM

He is also not game worn fan or JTnba fan if you look back at the listings. It is kind of funny that he thinks he will get those prices for Amare and Vince Carter.

Mulligans
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Based on the upswing in values of High Quality NBA Jerseys and the fact that the Seller is accepting "Best Offers", I do not think that the pricing is that outrageous. I have sold a couple of these players on E bay with similar pricing in the last year and done very well.
IMO, High Quality Meigray and NBA Jerseys are few and far between.

yankees24
05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Some of them are the special events game worn jerseys, like Latin Nights and Christmas that were only sold through NBA Auctions, gamewornfan won those but I see what you mean with the Vince Carter and Shaq as those are regular season ones from NBA Game Worn.

I thought the seller on Ebay was gamewornfan since no one has ever seen the jerseys he's won on the secondary market until now. I guess he's been re-selling his collection off privately to other collectors? Wonder if the higher end ones like the All-Star and NBA Finals jerseys will eventually see the light of day also.

mickeymbz
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
that aint gameworn fan.. its a regular posting member of GUU.. and if he wants to reveal himself he will... if not he wont. but why does it matter who he is? i personally dont know why people get all jacked over special event shirts (latino, xmas) basically 1 day shirt,, would rather have a regular shirt with more than 1 game on it... Its his perogative to set any price he wants,,, does it means he will get it.. doubtful

yankees24
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
basically 1 day shirt,, would rather have a regular shirt with more than 1 game on it

Isn't that the case with all the game worn jerseys now sold by Meigray? I was looking at their latest listings the other day and most if not all are described with a specific game date being used.

mickeymbz
05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Isn't that the case with all the game worn jerseys now sold by Meigray? I was looking at their latest listings the other day and most if not all are described with a specific game date being used.
it is... for 99% of the time... they will take pre-orders.. and fill those orders with the few (very very few) alotment reg season shirts.. they are way gone before they arrive to New Jersey

legaleagle92481
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
it is... for 99% of the time... they will take pre-orders.. and fill those orders with the few (very very few) alotment reg season shirts.. they are way gone before they arrive to New Jersey

Or is the game date just the last date the jersey was used? The MLB authentication database for example does it that way with their stuff.

mickeymbz
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Or is the game date just the last date the jersey was used? The MLB authentication database for example does it that way with their stuff.

if its a regular season shirt theyre used 2-3 games,,, special event shirts are almost always 1 game shirts.