PDA

View Full Version : This Garr doesn't clear the bar

sox83cubs84
03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
On eBay, a purported 1976 White Sox gamer of Ralph Garr. The front looks good...

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/stealhome/.mids/EBAY065.jpg (http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/stealhome/EBAY065.jpg?vvid=26214861&allow_track_link=1&track=027bbc05e7-591f8&sp=1&vsid=1&vgp=1&vimgs=EBAY066.jpg,EBAY065.jpg,EBAY067.jpg,EBAY068. jpg,EBAY069.jpg,ebay3012Large.jpg)

...but the back is not even close...

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/stealhome/.mids/EBAY068.jpg (http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/stealhome/EBAY068.jpg?vvid=26214861&allow_track_link=1&track=027bbc05e7-591f8&sp=1&vsid=1&vgp=1&vimgs=EBAY066.jpg,EBAY065.jpg,EBAY067.jpg,EBAY068. jpg,EBAY069.jpg,ebay3012Large.jpg)

On the back, the numeric font should be similar to the city front lettering (but larger) and a NOB (or space for one) should exist.

The seller has 100% + feedback...I think he just erred on this one.

Dave Miedema

cjw
03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Dave (and everyone viewing this) . It's may item and I don't indicate in my listing that is a 1976 Gamer of Garr's. I state:

"This is a unique jersey, as it appears to be team-issued except that the numbering is in a plain block font, tackle twill instead of the elaborate style (like the CHICAGO font on the front) from the game used jerseys of this era. There is no name on back either and no evidence of one having been removed. It is a 1970's jersey though and not a repro. Has a vintage RAWLINGS collar tag (size 42) and reinforced collar lining. The body of the jersey is the classic "diamond" mesh and the wide pajama collar is poly and so seventies! It is in great shape with some soiling in the collar but no rips or tears etc. Lot includes an autographed Ralph Garr photo (he wore #48 in this era).

I beleive this is an accurate as I could be. No?

trsent
03-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Dave, you know I love you, but you have to email these sellers your concerns first and give them 24 hours to reply to be efficient.

karamaxjoe
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Dave (and everyone viewing this) . It's may item and I don't indicate in my listing that is a 1976 Gamer of Garr's. I state:

"This is a unique jersey, as it appears to be team-issued except that the numbering is in a plain block font, tackle twill instead of the elaborate style (like the CHICAGO font on the front) from the game used jerseys of this era. There is no name on back either and no evidence of one having been removed. It is a 1970's jersey though and not a repro. Has a vintage RAWLINGS collar tag (size 42) and reinforced collar lining. The body of the jersey is the classic "diamond" mesh and the wide pajama collar is poly and so seventies! It is in great shape with some soiling in the collar but no rips or tears etc. Lot includes an autographed Ralph Garr photo (he wore #48 in this era).

I beleive this is an accurate as I could be. No?

I was going to to question this jersey a few days ago, but stopped after I read the description a few times. Anyone casually reading this auction would think they are getting a Ralph Garr jersey. You might be setting yourself up for a very dissatisfied customer when they find out they are not getting what they thought they were getting. I think if you took Garr out of the title of the auction, people wouldn't assume they are getting a Garr jersey.

Also don't jump all over me since I'm not accusing you of anything. It's just a suggestion to cover yourself.

cjw
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I was going to to question this jersey a few days ago, but stopped after I read the description a few times. Anyone casually reading this auction would think they are getting a Ralph Garr jersey. You might be setting yourself up for a very dissatisfied customer when they find out they are not getting what they thought they were getting. I think if you took Garr out of the title of the auction, people wouldn't assume they are getting a Garr jersey.

Also don't jump all over me since I'm not accusing you of anything. It's just a suggestion to cover yourself.

Thanks Mike. Good points and advice taken.

cjw
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
My initial feelings after viewing this jersey on eBay and reading the listing a couple of times was that this listing is a web to ensnare a rookie collector of this style jersey.

Why play-up the soiling in the collar of a jersey that was never worn in a million years during a MLB game?

I don't find anything "unique" about the clown altered devaluing of this jersey or the atrocious placement of the #8

If this seller is truly looking for accuracy drop the Ralph Garr reference & call this jersey what it is which is non-player used, team issued & clown altered.

PEACE

I mention the soiling in the collar because a buyer may choose to wear the item I have described as otherwise near mint shape. I disagree with you about this not being unique - pls show me another 1970's made, original pajama Sox jersey, all correct except for the numbering and NOB that wasn't a pass down item to the minors.