PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Baseball HOF'ers Autographs

Chris78
03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
With the recent passing of some baseball hof'ers such as Duke Snider, Bob Feller, Robin Roberts, George Kell, etc., I have been looking into obtaining (in person) the living Hall of Fame baseball players on Major League Baseballs. I wanted to see if any of you are doing this and who do you feel are some of the better priced Hall of Fame autographs that you can get at a reasonable price. It seems a lot of the HOF'ers with the "HOF" inscription are in the $80-100 range. Do you feel this is correct or is it too much? I have see some that might be cheaper than this coming up such as Earl Weaver, Jim Bunning, Orlando Cepeda, Ralph Kiner, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, Steve Carlton, Jim Palmer, etc. What do you feel is too much to pay for a baseball HOF autograph? I have gotten some for free, but you might get one every couple of years.

Chris

momen55
03-31-2011, 08:43 PM
i don't care for autographs anymore and am selling all the ones i have if interested. let me know.

kmantm64
03-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I think Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer are two of the more under-valued HOF auto's, but I'm from Baltimore and completely biased.

cliffjmp33
03-31-2011, 10:55 PM
I know if you go to Brooks Robinson's site (not sure of it offhand), you can send things in for a fair price. Used to be the same with Yogi Berra at his museum, but not sure anymore.

trsent
04-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I think Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer are two of the more under-valued HOF auto's, but I'm from Baltimore and completely biased.

Two of the greatest players of all time, but both have done plenty of autograph appearances to keep the supply strong for a long, long time.

legaleagle92481
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
the market for baseball hof sigs is beyond saturated. all these guys have done and continue to do so many signings, the supply far outweighs the demand. go on ebay look at how many sigs of any of these guys are for sale at any given time. awhole lot. prices have raised because promoters have to deal with decreasing demand from the public and increasing apperance fees from the players. i had a massive hof collection in the last year i got 20 to 50 a ball for it. even for the big names like ripken, aaron and mays. most i go under 30 for. noone wanted it unless it was dirt cheap since the market was filled with it. even when these guys die that wont change. there will still be alot out there. and in this hobby current is whats hot. the guys in the news and active at the time have the highest prices and most demand. if your going to meet them, get a pic, shake hands, say a few words and get item as momento its worth it but if your doing it as an investment its not great idea.

Chris78
04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
the market for baseball hof sigs is beyond saturated. all these guys have done and continue to do so many signings, the supply far outweighs the demand. go on ebay look at how many sigs of any of these guys are for sale at any given time. awhole lot. prices have raised because promoters have to deal with decreasing demand from the public and increasing apperance fees from the players. i had a massive hof collection in the last year i got 20 to 50 a ball for it. even for the big names like ripken, aaron and mays. most i go under 30 for. noone wanted it unless it was dirt cheap since the market was filled with it. even when these guys die that wont change. there will still be alot out there. and in this hobby current is whats hot. the guys in the news and active at the time have the highest prices and most demand. if your going to meet them, get a pic, shake hands, say a few words and get item as momento its worth it but if your doing it as an investment its not great idea.

Not doing it for investment, otherwise I would be better off buying off others like other people have suggested. I prefer to get off autographs in person though and I thought it would be neat to get them in person -- which increases the price. I have just noticed that if you can get a player for less than $50 with inscription it seems to be tough. I always was somebody who never did autographs to any great extent, but the last few years I have started to get autographs for free at minor league games. With these HOF'ers dying off, I thought it would be neat to get them in person, but it sure seems expensive.

I have gotten the following players so far and most of them were at a minor league game for free or a cheap price. I recently got Orlando Cepeda for $40 with HOF and that is the most I paid. The next highest was Gary Carter for $25 with the Long Island Ducks and he just added HOF as I was the last he signed for.

1) Monte Irvin with HOF
2) Yogi Berra
3) Orlando Cepeda with HOF
4) Juan Marichal
5) Steve Carlton with HOF
6) Rollie Fingers
7) Jim Palmer with HOF
8) Bruce Sutter with HOF
9) Gary Carter with HOF
10) Ryne Sandberg with HOF and also with #23

I planned to get Brooks Robinson this Saturday for $35, but unfortuately he is sick and in the hospital so the signing was postponed.

Chris

legaleagle92481
04-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Not doing it for investment, otherwise I would be better off buying off others like other people have suggested. I prefer to get off autographs in person though and I thought it would be neat to get them in person -- which increases the price. I have just noticed that if you can get a player for less than $50 with inscription it seems to be tough. I always was somebody who never did autographs to any great extent, but the last few years I have started to get autographs for free at minor league games. With these HOF'ers dying off, I thought it would be neat to get them in person, but it sure seems expensive.

I have gotten the following players so far and most of them were at a minor league game for free or a cheap price. I recently got Orlando Cepeda for $40 with HOF and that is the most I paid. The next highest was Gary Carter for $25 with the Long Island Ducks and he just added HOF as I was the last he signed for.

1) Monte Irvin with HOF
2) Yogi Berra
3) Orlando Cepeda with HOF
4) Juan Marichal
5) Steve Carlton with HOF
6) Rollie Fingers
7) Jim Palmer with HOF
8) Bruce Sutter with HOF
9) Gary Carter with HOF
10) Ryne Sandberg with HOF and also with #23

I planned to get Brooks Robinson this Saturday for $35, but unfortuately he is sick and in the hospital so the signing was postponed.

Chris

Oh. That is very cool. I used to do that. Got Pee Wee Reese (w HOF inscription), sandy koufax (HOF Inscription), seaver (HOF inscription), bench (hof inscription), Palmer, McCovey, Feller (HOF inscription), Enos Slaughter, Kiner, Eddie Murray, Jim rice (with Lets go red sox and Im not a red sox fan that was pre hof and i didnt want to have him write MVP like everyone else was). When I sold my graphs those were the only ones I kept. Your right though prices have gotten high. I may be confusing you with another member and if I am I apologize but weren't you in New York? If so theres a show at Hofstra the 16th and 17th. Kiner is signing for 30 bucks and Yount is charging 70 thats alot but hes a rare apperance.

Chris78
04-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh. That is very cool. I used to do that. Got Pee Wee Reese (w HOF inscription), sandy koufax (HOF Inscription), seaver (HOF inscription), bench (hof inscription), Palmer, McCovey, Feller (HOF inscription), Enos Slaughter, Kiner, Eddie Murray, Jim rice (with Lets go red sox and Im not a red sox fan that was pre hof and i didnt want to have him write MVP like everyone else was). When I sold my graphs those were the only ones I kept. Your right though prices have gotten high. I may be confusing you with another member and if I am I apologize but weren't you in New York? If so theres a show at Hofstra the 16th and 17th. Kiner is signing for 30 bucks and Yount is charging 70 thats alot but hes a rare apperance.

I am actually from Eastern PA. I have that show on my radar, and would attend on Sunday most likely for both Kiner and Ford with inscriptions, along with Oliva and Montefusco. Long Island is a pain to get to and is very expensive though with tolls. I could go both days and stay overnight as well -- what would be a cost of a room in that area?

There are also two shows closer to me on the Saturday (April 16th) -- one located in Oaks, PA near King of Prussia and also a show at the King of Prussia mall. I was thinking about attending the Saturday show near me at the mall and Pete Rose happens to be signing on the Saturday. They also have some Phillies guys on Sunday, but no one in the HOF.

I also have an interest in the show at the end of the month in East Rutherford, New Jersey. At that show, I probably would get every HOF'er (other than Jackson and Mays) that I do not have. Saturday has about 7 or so guys that I would get and Sunday has Eckersley and Rice if I attended both days.

I thought about going to the HOF on July 23rd to add some others as well that I do not have already for the show up there. It can be very expensive though.

Chris