PDA

View Full Version : things to look for when buying a game used bat....

bdeol4
04-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi guys,

Need your expert help, I am looking for a Griffey Jr GU bat, now I have seen 2 types of bats, one which has either the reds or mariners printed on the barrel of the bat, and the second is where it has "swingman" printed on the bat....what is the difference in these 2 types of bats, and what else should I look out for?

thank you for your time and help.

spartanservitto
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I know he ordered both labels when on the reds, not really a red flag.

-Tony

spartakid
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
If I am not mistaken, I believe the Swingman bats were ordered/used by Griffey specifically for resale. The ones with the team names on the barrel are ones ordered by the team and usually show more use from what I have seen and heard.

AWA85
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
The statement that Swingman or Team name has less use is completely incorrect. I have seen hammered bats of each type. Also the SWINGMAN brand was the bat he used the majority of his time with the Reds after the first year in Cincinnati.

As somebody mentioned, Griffey ordered bats with SWINGMAN under it so he was the owner of the bats and did not have to turn them into the team. He could resell them, give them away or do as he desired with the bats.

Here is my bat:

legaleagle92481
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Look for use. Im talking ball marks, scrapes, stuff like that, not bat rack marks. Alot of sellers try to pawn unused "game issued" bats off as used.

bdeol4
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
thanks for the knowledge guys, another question is...how often did Griffey mark his jersey # on the bottom of the bat? Ive seen some with the #24 and some with nothing at all.........

AWA85
04-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Griffey hardly ever wrote his number on the bottom of his bat (I don't say NEVER because I am unaware of what he did in his early Mariner days).

Bats should have the criss cross tape job, no number on the bottom, and without going back to look at mine I believe they should be cupped at the top of the barrel. Be careful, there are a lot of fakes out there and fake tap jobs added to issued bats.

spartanservitto
04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I saw one photo when on the Reds, it was awhile ago, it was during the all star game or something not sure, but he did have his number. Unless the bat is photomatched, signed and inscribed by griffey with all other traits, I wouldnt buy one with a number on the knob.

-Tony

gameused
04-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi guys,

Need your expert help, I am looking for a Griffey Jr GU bat, now I have seen 2 types of bats, one which has either the reds or mariners printed on the barrel of the bat, and the second is where it has "swingman" printed on the bat....what is the difference in these 2 types of bats, and what else should I look out for?

thank you for your time and help.

Here's my Griffey Jr. Mariners bat.

Griffey favored the C271 model and spiral taped handle. His Seattle Mariners bats from what I have seen through the years don't have his number written on the bottom or top of the bat.

Also, majority of his Mariners bats came with a COA from Unique Sports or Coast to Coast, and Griffey would pen his autograph on the COA.

Thanks, Bobby
hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

justinwc80
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Thats correct about the number, very rare, I have the pic from the homerun derby I believe that had his number on it and very few others. If you search the bat shipping records thread you'll find where BMH states how many SWINGMAN bats he ordered. As AWA85 said he ordered mostly Reds on the initial bats in Cincy and later began getting SWINGMAN more. I wouldn't buy any that don't have the custom tape job, most don't have anythign written on them and should have some good ballmarks.